Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 pm

gowrie wrote:Interesting he says the squad he inherited didn't have enough backs as he lets 3 go.

Wish them the best, but none is a major shock. You'd think with the new signings that we're set for FH next season in Cockerill's eyes, and backrow's got a ton of young talent coming through.

The issue's still who we have as starting SH next year, by a long way the biggest weakness in the team and even when Fowles has done well off the bench he just doesn't convince when he starts.

Is Charlie Shiel likely to get a run out any time soon?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm

New Gunner wrote:
Derfel wrote:According to Mark Palmer in the Sunday Times, Cornell has not been offered an extension to his contract. He also says that Sam has been offered a new contract but there is a disagreement between the club and Sam over the value, also confirms that Matt Scott is close to agreeing a return to Edinburgh.

The Offside Line has an article today quoting a 'source close to' SHC to the effect that he will be leaving at the end of the season, destination unclear. Mark Palmer's view was that ER offered Sam a contract, but they are apart in terms of His market value. If Sam is looking for a big increase on the deal he signed around the time he was Pro 12 young player of the year, I can see why the valuations might differ. Seems a shame, but c'est la vie.

I posted this about SHC on another thread a while back

"his ambition and confidence are way beyond his skill"

well he now has the chance to prove he is as good as he thinks he is and what he is worth. Good luck to him, he'll need it
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:38 pm

gowrie wrote:The issue's still who we have as starting SH next year, by a long way the biggest weakness in the team and even when Fowles has done well off the bench he just doesn't convince when he starts.

Fowles was excellent on Friday night. Need another 9 to step up or sign one
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm

New Gunner wrote:. can't imagine what would happen if anyone mentioned Rory Hutton...

bet you thought the sun shone out of his proverbial
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm

A certain fly-half is available
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43031458

Just saying..... :wink: :wink:

Or RH might make a comeback :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Disappointing to lose them as they all add something. It just didn't work with Weir for whatever reason, he is better than he showed with us, a bit like Heathcote who he is likely to replace.

SHC is coming back into form, again though he is better than he showed for the past while. I'm sure he will do well, his goalkicking alone will get him a decent contract and he would suit a French style game where he controls the tempo

Tovey I'm not overly bothered about, good quad player, looks like the 2 guys coming in will be better though so fair enough, he is not at an age where he wants to be 3rd choice.

CDP is disappointing but inevitable. We have a lot of very good young back rows coming through and our budget can be better spent elsewhere.

The name that isn't mentioned is Hardie, I would be very surprised if he stayed but then again he is a class act so he would be most welcome. Watson, Barclay and Hardie is a Rob Moffatt wet dream!

I would imagine a fair bit of budget is freed up here as all are established players on a fair whack, hopefully we use it wisely. We do need a new 9 with a bit of quality. Fowles was the best he has been on Friday but I still see him as decent backup rather than first choice.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Not really surprised by this news but would have liked CDP to be around a bit longer, SHC plays well in fits and starts as does Fowles, we need consistency (and excellence would be a bonus too) at SH, a position of no little importance, time to splash the cash.
Pitfitter

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 pm

All those leaving are somewhat understandable.

The writing was on the wall for the 10s as soon as the signings were announced.

SHC hasn't got his form of a few years ago back and if he was asking for a bigger deal then it's right to say no.

CdP leaving is a shame but mostly for the fact the I jury robbed him of his peak in an Edinburgh shirt.

No mention of Burleigh and Hardie.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Burleigh, Hardie and Fenton presumably the ones playing for a contract? Marfo has surely done enough this year.

It's a shame they're leaving. All have made a big contribution at points. Think they deserved a better write up tbh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 pm

No great surprise that Cockerill has decided to free a few of the more established guys, as predicted, and I suspect this will not be the end of the cull either. He has taken his time to assess the squad, identified who he values, brought in some good signings, brought in some youngsters and identified who are surplus to requirements. He has needed to rebalance the squad he inherited and with the likes of Crosbie, Carmichael, McCallum and the other youngsters showing up well this season then it is no surprise that he has decided to free up some dosh from some of the bigger wage earners.

CdP is too inconsistent, at times he looks brilliant but too often fades from a game, as in the Wales game last week. Mata is by far the superior 8 who worked his socks off against Leinster and got a battering in the process. I thought CdP was going to be a real player but the injury has taken its toll. I suspect Cockerill is looking for a bit more dynamism and presence and Mata and Barclay are both better players.

SHC is another inconsistent performer and a SH with an unreliable distribution is not going to make it at SH. If he sorted out his passing and his decision making then he will fulfil his potential. Somewhere there is a really good SH in him. A change of scene is probably needed and could be the making of him but it leaves us short at 9.

Weir I like as a player and he hasn't really had a chance to establish himself with us. Injury hasn't helped but perhaps he doesn't meet Cockerill's spec for a 10? Tovey is what he is, a solid but unspectacular 10 who is limited and doesn't set the backs running. Not surprised he is being released as he doesn't really add anything to the squad.

On balance I like the way Cockerill is reshaping the squad. He has really focused on quality in getting a better set of backs in place, without lessening the strength of the pack and with the likes of Scott, Bennet, Burleigh et al at centre and Graham, Fife, VdM and Hoyland in the back 3 they are looking more exciting exciting. He will need to bring in another 9, maybe a couple, and we will need to wait and see how both VdW and Hickey shape up next season. Cockerill obviously placing trust in both!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:20 pm

I think Tovey is a decent 10, and am a bit sorry to see him go. I think he's under-rated, and has been the best stand off we've had for quite a long time. SHC hasn't progressed the way he looked he would, and CdP will probably benefit from a change of scene. I'm quite happy with Weir moving on; there may be a decent player in there, but he has been unimpressive in his time at Edinburgh. Some of his performances have been dire, frankly. Good luck to all of them with their next clubs, of course.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Flanker on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 am

Cant argue with any of the comments. I like Tovey but to inconsistent. Weir has never produced what he is capable of in an Edinburgh jersey. SHC never really recovered from going to the world cup and doing nothing for 2 months. Really sorry to see CDP go. He was the real deal when he arrived and that tap tackle on Jonny May in the Challenge Cup final was worth the trip alone. Barclay and hopefully Scott arriving will make a difference. Think think there may still be a front row cull to come.
Flanker
International

Postby New Gunner on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 am

Offside Line interview with Cockers:

https://t.co/OkKVRuUpz9

Talking to a NZ scrum half to replace SHC - could it be SQ Finlay Christie? Would be interesting.

More good insight from Cockerill in the article - difficult to criticise much that he's done or said so far.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 am

New Gunner wrote:Offside Line interview with Cockers:

Talking to a NZ scrum half to replace SHC - could it be SQ Finlay Christie? Would be interesting.

Does that answer the "Is Shiel going to get a shot?" question? Looks like Cockerill really doesn't fancy him.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:57 am

bignose wrote:
New Gunner wrote:Offside Line interview with Cockers:

Does that answer the "Is Shiel going to get a shot?" question? Looks like Cockerill really doesn't fancy him.

Says Shiel is going to join the staff full time next year so that's positive unless he's our new marketing executive.

Don't think the NZ 9 will be Christie considering he's in the first year of a two year deal.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum