Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I think Tovey's home is still in Wales, so maybe he wants to move for family/personal reasons. Personally, I'd be very happy if he stays, as I think he's a good 10. The signings we're making look a cut above what we've been used to, and it's great to see this level of investment going into Edinburgh. The SRU are rightly backing Cockers, and it's starting to look as if we are building a squad for Champions Cup qualification.

Agreed, the signings and re-signings so far are very positive. It feels like there's momentum on and off the pitch. The Cockers appointment working a charm so far.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 am

Three sell out Autumn Internationals must have boosted the SRU coffers somewhat? Best part of 200,000 paying customers through the gates plus merchandising, tv receipts, etc will have generated a few bob. Our business partners and advertisers must be delighted with the coverage, the high profile and positive messages being generated too. Surely we will be drawing even more advertising income? With sell outs against France and England coming up in 6Ns then the SRU will have taken in max gate receipts and overall income for these 5 games. Along with the promised increased revenue from the expanded Pro14, the Weegies selling out every game and getting more and more sponsors and even us in Embra looking a bit more positive, the SRU financial position must be improving somewhat. I also presume overdraft is reducing and the cost of servicing the remaining debt is going down? As well as investing in the academies and hopefully continued investment in the 7s and ladies rugby they are obviously pushing some of the cash into the pro teams which is excellent news. Lets hope it continues and we add to the positive picture by doing something in the league and qualify for the Big Boys Cup and perhaps even go deep into the Diddy Cup this year?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:14 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Hickey as an NZ U20 in 2014 does that mean he can't now qualify for Scotland through any means, Van de Walt can through residency is that correct? Both 23, how old is Baggott?

We definitely need an extra 10 in the squad, would be surprised if we had 4 next season though so would guess one of tovey or Weir won't be around.

Couldn’t care less. More interested in improving Edinburgh, I don’t want to see every signing as a project player for Scotland.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:I think Tovey's home is still in Wales, so maybe he wants to move for family/personal reasons. Personally, I'd be very happy if he stays, as I think he's a good 10. The signings we're making look a cut above what we've been used to, and it's great to see this level of investment going into Edinburgh. The SRU are rightly backing Cockers, and it's starting to look as if we are building a squad for Champions Cup qualification.

Agreed, the signings and re-signings so far are very positive. It feels like there's momentum on and off the pitch. The Cockers appointment working a charm so far.

I think he's been smart in making very few signings initially till he had seen the whole squad play.

Just need a 9, a loosehead (if Dickinson retires) and another tighthead and we're good to go.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 am

doedin wrote:Three sell out Autumn Internationals must have boosted the SRU coffers somewhat? Best part of 200,000 paying customers through the gates plus merchandising, tv receipts, etc will have generated a few bob. Our business partners and advertisers must be delighted with the coverage, the high profile and positive messages being generated too. Surely we will be drawing even more advertising income?

Agreed, but also just a word for the oft maligned SRU who ( I assume ) gave up the prime mid pitch advertising site for Doddie's MND fund for free.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 am

macdone wrote:Just need a 9, a loosehead (if Dickinson retires) and another tighthead and we're good to go.

Seriously? Sutherland, Dell, Marfo (and McCallum who has played more LH than TH). Think I'd spend it over the other side of the hooker if Dicko isn't around and we can retain the services of the aforementioned.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 am

Wottie wrote:
macdone wrote:Just need a 9, a loosehead (if Dickinson retires) and another tighthead and we're good to go.

Seriously? Sutherland, Dell, Marfo (and McCallum who has played more LH than TH). Think I'd spend it over the other side of the hooker if Dicko isn't around and we can retain the services of the aforementioned.

Problem is all three of them will be away with the national team in all likelihood. So we need more depth at LH as well.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm

The Chiel wrote:
doedin wrote:Three sell out Autumn Internationals must have boosted the SRU coffers somewhat? Best part of 200,000 paying customers through the gates plus merchandising, tv receipts, etc will have generated a few bob. Our business partners and advertisers must be delighted with the coverage, the high profile and positive messages being generated too. Surely we will be drawing even more advertising income?

Agreed, but also just a word for the oft maligned SRU who ( I assume ) gave up the prime mid pitch advertising site for Doddie's MND fund for free.

Absolutely! Good to see what the SRU did for Doddie and his fund raising, it was excellent and very moving!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Reports that SHC will move to the Avila Premiership next season - Bath, Newcastle or London Irish.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:34 pm

New Gunner wrote:Reports that SHC will move to the Avila Premiership next season - Bath, Newcastle or London Irish.

Shame if so. Although it depends who we replace him with with. LI would be a step down imo.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm

New Gunner wrote:Reports that SHC will move to the Avila Premiership next season - Bath, Newcastle or London Irish.

Not surprising tbh. If he doesn't make the 6N squad then I'd think it's basically a certainty because at that point there wouldn't be much keeping him here.

We'd have to sign someone to replace him as first choice, but there aren't many names that come to mind. Some talent in the academies, but unproven, and that's the same case for all the SQ scrumhalves abroad I can think of.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Hopefully, if he keeps scoring hat-tricks, he should be in the 6 nations squad :D
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:09 pm

SHC should move on. It's not working for him and it's not working for us right now. A change of scenery can hopefully help him become the player he can be and a 9 that offers more consistency can help us push on.

Ideally Shiel is good but we'll see - I really fancy Pyrgos to be shoehorned here - would be classic SRU.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Can’t see him heading to Newcastle, Bath certainly a possibility as their two 1st choice 9s are 34 and 35. And certainly a backward step going to Irish but maybe Scott Steele will come the other way.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:42 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:SHC should move on. It's not working for him and it's not working for us right now. A change of scenery can hopefully help him become the player he can be and a 9 that offers more consistency can help us push on.

Ideally Shiel is good but we'll see - I really fancy Pyrgos to be shoehorned here - would be classic SRU.

It's a bit harsh for a player who scored a hat-trick at the week-end that helps us to win the game... He had two terrible years but he is far from bad this term.
What is sure is that his problem began when he was under Hodge's guidance (world cup 2015...). I don't think he would like like to work any longer with him if he had the choice. If he moves on, it could signify that Hodge is staying. Not sure I'm really happy of that.
germain
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum