Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby disco on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Wee summary of the 3 years of Academy Stage 3 players in the Edinburgh + Borders & East Lothian academies:

Player name (position) - where they are this season

2015/16
Lewis Carmichael (lock) - Edinburgh
Jack Cosgrove (LH prop) - Bristol
Hugh Fraser (scrum half)
Tom Galbraith (centre) - Edinburgh
Ross Graham (hooker) - was pro with Yorkshire Carnegie but now with Watsonians
Ruairi Howarth (wing / full back)
Jake Kerr (hooker) - Leicester
Grant McConnell (wing) - Boroughmuir
Ally Miller (no. 8 ) - Edinburgh
Ben Robbins (wing / full back) - Currie
Gary Robertson (TH prop)
George Taylor (centre) - Academy

2016/17
Jason Baggott (stand off) - Academy
Luke Crosbie (flanker) - Academy
Thomas Gordon (flanker) - Academy

Darcy Graham (wing / full back) - Edinburgh
Cammy Hutchison (centre) - Academy
Murray McCallum (prop) - Edinburgh
Ross McCann (wing) - Academy
Gary Robertson (TH prop)
Charlie Shiel (scrum-half) - Academy
Daniel Winning (TH prop) - Academy

2017/18
Hamish Bain (lock) - 1st year at Stage 3 in Academy
Jason Baggott (stand-off) - 2nd year
Luke Crosbie (flanker) - 2nd year
Ross Dunbar (LH prop) - 1st year
Archie Erskine (flanker) - 1st year
Thomas Gordon (flanker) - 2nd year
Cammy Hutchison (centre) - 2nd year
Ross McCann (wing) - 2nd year
Gary Munro (scrum-half) - 1st year
Fraser Renwick (hooker) - 1st year
Charlie Shiel (scrum-half) - 2nd year
George Taylor (centre) - 3rd year
Jamie Ure (lock) - 1st year
Daniel Winning (TH prop) - 2nd year
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 pm

disco wrote:Wee summary of the 3 years of Academy Stage 3 players in the Edinburgh + Borders & East Lothian academies:

Player name (position) - where they are this season

2015/16
Lewis Carmichael (lock) - Edinburgh
Jack Cosgrove (LH prop) - Bristol
Hugh Fraser (scrum half)
Tom Galbraith (centre) - Edinburgh
Ross Graham (hooker) - was pro with Yorkshire Carnegie but now with Watsonians
Ruairi Howarth (wing / full back)
Jake Kerr (hooker) - Leicester
Ally Miller (no. 8 ) - Edinburgh
Ben Robbins (wing / full back) - Currie
Gary Robertson (TH prop)

2016/17
Jason Baggott (stand off) - Academy
Luke Crosbie (flanker) - Academy
Thomas Gordon (flanker) - Academy

Darcy Graham (wing / full back) - Edinburgh
Cammy Hutchison (centre) - Academy
Murray McCallum (prop) - Edinburgh
Ross McCann (wing) - Academy
Gary Robertson (TH prop)
Charlie Shiel (scrum-half) - Academy
Daniel Winning (TH prop) - Academy

2017/18
Hamish Bain (lock) - 1st year at Stage 3 in Academy
Jason Baggott (stand-off) - 2nd year
Luke Crosbie (flanker) - 2nd year
Ross Dunbar (LH prop) - 1st year
Archie Erskine (flanker) - 1st year
Thomas Gordon (flanker) - 2nd year
Cammy Hutchison (centre) - 2nd year
Ross McCann (wing) - 2nd year
Gary Munro (scrum-half) - 1st year
Fraser Renwick (hooker) - 1st year
Charlie Shiel (scrum-half) - 2nd year
George Taylor (centre) - 3rd year
Jamie Ure (lock) - 1st year
Daniel Winning (TH prop) - 2nd year

Fabulous as ever Disco.

I feel we get too caught up in academies feeding into particular pro-clubs. Yes it's nice to keep a player local but feel we could be better at putting players where they fit the best / there's the best opportunity.
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Marfo must have a deal on the table?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 am

gowrie wrote:If Du Preez leaves Edinburgh, which is a strong possibility, it won't be to Glasgow, it'll be to England or France. It depends on how his season goes, if he carries on this strong form the offers are going to come in that we can't match, especially now he's SQ and tied to us.

that would be my take as well.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:24 am

The subject came up on the Glasgow forum, but maybe Glaws' Vellacott would be worth a look as a scrum half for us?

I don't know when his contract is up
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 am

BigD163 wrote:They absolutely shouldn't. There has been little or no precedent for moving starting XV players from 1 or side to the other it shouldn't happen.

The season is long and hard. Having 6 good back rowers is no longer a nice to have it is a necessity..

see my friend, you are right and talk shyte in the same post. First picks are all debatable.
The precedent I would suggest is moving Bennett east, usually a first pick when fit. Or historically Kellock was a first pick and capped when moved west

And moving Weir (like him or loathe him, Weegies 10 when Russell was unavailable; you cannot argue that you need 6 good back rows is a necessity (which it is) and 2 experienced 10s isn't. And don't tell me Horne is weegies back up 10, he simply wasn't until Weir moved

Base point is SRU have to balance between strength at 2 pro teams and maximum number of players playing in top professional leagues. Its a difficult balance. Take the blinkers off
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 am

joe soap wrote:
BigD163 wrote:They absolutely shouldn't. There has been little or no precedent for moving starting XV players from 1 or side to the other it shouldn't happen.

The season is long and hard. Having 6 good back rowers is no longer a nice to have it is a necessity..

see my friend, you are right and talk shyte in the same post. First picks are all debatable.
The precedent I would suggest is moving Bennett east, usually a first pick when fit. Or historically Kellock was a first pick and capped when moved west

And moving Weir (like him or loathe him, Weegies 10 when Russell was unavailable; you cannot argue that you need 6 good back rows is a necessity (which it is) and 2 experienced 10s isn't. And don't tell me Horne is weegies back up 10, he simply wasn't until Weir moved

Base point is SRU have to balance between strength at 2 pro teams and maximum number of players playing in top professional leagues. Its a difficult balance. Take the blinkers off

I don't have the blinkers on. Of course the SRU have a tough job. Bennett only moved when Jones was signed up. IIRC Jones was announced a week or 2 before.

The SRU need to be sensible in how they move players. Not only is CdP Edinburghs 1st choice and moving him would leave us short, Glasgow have Vunisa, Ashe and Fagerson all under contract next year. Wilson will probably resign too who are all 8s or a 6 who is comfortable there at club level.

Edit: if he leaves to go anywhere else that would clearly also leave us shirt but wouldn't be the SRUs doing.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Horne being the Glasgow backup 10 was not singularly linked to Weir leaving, it had a lot to do with the emergence of Grigg and Johnson, which meant they had greater depth and free up Horne more. He has become a better 10 than Weir at the moment, hopefully that will again change.

it is to do with Budget as well, we would love to have 2/3 international players in each position but it aint going to happen. The offer Glasgow were prepared to give Weir to be second choice was less than Edinburgh were prepared to pay for a 1st choice, so it is simple economics. Similarly Glasgow chose to use Horne as a 10/12 and retain players in other positions rather than pay for a replacement.

I would not be surprised if CDP did leave, we have a good crop of youngsters coming through and Brclay coming in. We also at elikely to have to strengthen the midfield again so money will have to come from somewhere. I would have thought Barclay will come in as a top earner, so will offset the saving of CDP, and possibly some of Hardie too. It is unlikely Mata will be re-sgned, although he may not be expensive and provide good cover.

If we want to hang onto the likes of Ritchie and Bradbury they are going to be demanding more cash, as will Kinghorn and Dean in future. So something has to give and you have to make the choice of first choice strength vs depth, it is a juggling act.

Bennet wasn't an automatic first choice at Glasgow last season. He was left out of quite a few big games (only played vs Leicester at home after an injuryin the warm up) GT questioned his defence.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Bennett is a bit of an unknown because of the injury history he's had. We'll never know the full story with what happened but it could be the SRU really wanted Jones in Scotland and Jones only wanted Glasgow. But when he was fit for an extended period of time Bennett was up for a world rugby award. He's a class act and hopefully can get his career back on track. Jones is outstanding going forward - but there are concerns about his defence. Same with Grigg so I don't think that was the deciding factor.

The SRU need to be clever in where players are playing because we only have a limited number of players. The moves they make tend to make sense. The failure of Edinburgh in finding a sufficient back up 10 for Russell is difficult and now looks like we'll wait for Van Der Welt to qualify. But Hastings is extremely raw so it never made sense to put him here.

What they do with Henderson, Thompson and Dewhirst will be interesting. All Glasgow academy players but it's us who need a young Scottish 10. Like Glasgow need a Scottish ball carrier.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Marfo must have a deal on the table?

With a bonus for our forwards coaches. When he joined a couple of months ago he was pretty average, especially in the loose, but now he's showing up well on the international stage against the ABs.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Toolis staying. Excellent.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Great news, especially since he's going to play a lot of test rugby this season which could have raised his profile a fair bit.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Great bit of business. Delighted he's staying for another two years.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Also current twitter rumour has us signing Kiwi flyhalf Simon Hickey from Bordeaux. Seems to be doing alright there, anyone know if there's a Scottish granny in his family tree somewhere?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:55 pm

gowrie wrote:Also current twitter rumour has us signing Kiwi flyhalf Simon Hickey from Bordeaux. Seems to be doing alright there, anyone know if there's a Scottish granny in his family tree somewhere?

Odd rumour I thought as he is still under contract at Bordeaux. Another year to go at least.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum