Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Would be very handy if Graham could fill in at 15 this year but you do worry he's too small.

Might be the guy to build the 7s team around.

I imagine Graham will be bulking up, I don’t think he is any shorter than Damian McKenzie. I know you have to take stats with a pinch of salt, but Jordan Larmour is listed as 2cm taller than Graham.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Would be very handy if Graham could fill in at 15 this year but you do worry he's too small.

I imagine Graham will be bulking up, I don’t think he is any shorter than Damian McKenzie. I know you have to take stats with a pinch of salt, but Jordan Larmour is listed as 2cm taller than Graham.

Yeah and we'll see but it's always a worry when you can count the guys he's as tall as on one hand. I'm not convinced of the Larmour hype but DMac is a freak and if he's close to that level we're in for a treat.

In other news Tom Gordon has moved from the Edinburgh academy to Glasgow. Hopefully he goes well and a sensible move as there's too many 7s here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Yeah and we'll see but it's always a worry when you can count the guys he's as tall as on one hand. I'm not convinced of the Larmour hype but DMac is a freak and if he's close to that level we're in for a treat.

I mentioned those two as I see them having the same sort of skill set as Graham*, but Duncy Weir is shorter than Graham, Simon Hickey is around the same height, Hoyland is listed as 2cm taller, as is Leigh Halfpenny - there are a good few around that height.

*Larmour has amazing feet, DMac has pace and then some, I wouldn't be surprised if Graham is quicker, he looks it from the way he covers the ground.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

I mentioned those two as I see them having the same sort of skill set as Graham*, but Duncy Weir is shorter than Graham, Simon Hickey is around the same height, Hoyland is listed as 2cm taller, as is Leigh Halfpenny - there are a good few around that height.

*Larmour has amazing feet, DMac has pace and then some, I wouldn't be surprised if Graham is quicker, he looks it from the way he covers the ground.

Ah I'm surprised Halfpenny and Hoyland are so small. Fair play I could be wrong, I hope he's good - I just worry he's too small.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 am

I think he's too small for the wing. He'd be exposed too often having to make straight on tackles on some of the big beasts out there. I'd like to see him get more game time this season st FB, especially now Kinghorn's shown he can play on the wing.

Regarding young 7s, does anyone else think young Datge looks like he could be an absolute belter?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 am

The Nudger wrote:I think he's too small for the wing. He'd be exposed too often having to make straight on tackles on some of the big beasts out there. I'd like to see him get more game time this season st FB, especially now Kinghorn's shown he can play on the wing.

Regarding young 7s, does anyone else think young Datge looks like he could be an absolute belter?

FB could be an option for Graham but I really hope we don't start playing Kinghorn on the wing. I know he´d do well enough there because he's a great player. But frustrating to see our biggest talent there.

I agree Darge does look a brilliant player.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 am

It’s not the dog in the fight etc, here is McKenzie bashing 6ft 4, 21 stones Nadolo into touch. If you’ve seen what Nadolo usually does in that situation you’ll know what a remarkable tackle this is

https://gfycat.com/advancedklutzydouglasfirbarkbeetle
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 am

In addition to Darge we then have Connor Boyle also coming through. He played for both the U18s and 20’s this season and is a fantastic prospect. Becoming a bit of a back row factory Edinburgh!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 am

Pierre Schoeman named in the Super Rugby team of the week...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:21 am

New Gunner wrote:Pierre Schoeman named in the Super Rugby team of the week...

The Bulls are away to the Lions this weekend but they can’t qualify for the playoffs, so that will be him done in South Africa, unless he is contracted for Currie Cup games too?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 am

Good to hear. He looks like a great acquisition and a handy guy to have a round in the international windows. Notwithstanding that, it's unusual to go into a season with 5 LH props (4 of them Scottish internationals), plus McCallum who covers both sides. Does make you wonder about whether Dicko is expected to make it back. Don't recall seeing him on any of the pre-season training footage that has been released.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:06 am

Wottie wrote:

Good to hear. He looks like a great acquisition and a handy guy to have a round in the international windows. Notwithstanding that, it's unusual to go into a season with 5 LH props (4 of them Scottish internationals), plus McCallum who covers both sides. Does make you wonder about whether Dicko is expected to make it back. Don't recall seeing him on any of the pre-season training footage that has been released.

Actually I seem to remember nine props bing a pretty standard number for us in the squad the last few years.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 am

biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Actually I seem to remember nine props bing a pretty standard number for us in the squad the last few years.

Really? 8 last year - Dickinson, Dell, Marfo (late addition to squad), Sutherland, Nel, Berghan, McCallum & Bryce (Rizzo, Sheilds and Miller Mills taken in on loan and mid season to cover for the great Edinburgh Prop Crisis)

Same the Year before - Dickinson, Dell, Sutherland, Cosgrove, Nel, Berghan, Bryce, Beavon (again, a late addition)
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Jordan Lay as well (admittedly only for part of last season)
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Was Kyle White ever on a full contract?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum