Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby doedin on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 am

adi1314 wrote:Is this the best squad we've seen?

Yes! If we include the coaching team in the squad then it is easily the best and most complete squad we have had for some time. In the past we have had a strong core but lacked quality in a number of positions or lacked good quality cover in key areas. However we now look like we could put out a couple of teams with little drop off in quality. However strongest and biggest improvement is in the coaching and conditioning squad - from Cockerill to Stoker I can't see many prima donnas lasting any length of time in our squad and only 100% commitment and effort will suffice. We might not win the league but I think we are all confident we will give it bloody good go!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 pm

doedin wrote:

In the past we have had a strong core but lacked quality in a number of positions or lacked good quality cover in key areas.

When you remebered the last team who did something good on the field (Bradley's team), there was Laidlaw and Blair at 10 and 9. We are still far of that quality at the moment in those positions. But for the rest, for sure, we have quite a good squad, both in quality and quantity.
Let's hope McLelland, Hickey, Baggott and Shiel will be revelations next year...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:10 pm

One of the most exciting for sure, I can't wait for the season!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:09 pm

germain wrote:
doedin wrote:

In the past we have had a strong core but lacked quality in a number of positions or lacked good quality cover in key areas.

When you remebered the last team who did something good on the field (Bradley's team), there was Laidlaw and Blair at 10 and 9. We are still far of that quality at the moment in those positions. But for the rest, for sure, we have quite a good squad, both in quality and quantity.
Let's hope McLelland, Hickey, Baggott and Shiel will be revelations next year...

I thought McLelland looked great at the U20s world champs, but he's still 18 and has been playing Union for less than a year, he is a remarkable prospect at this stage and if managed properly he could be something very special.

Shiel is 20 and Baggott 23, I would hope they will start to show something this coming year.

Hunter-Hill is another one I'm really looking forward to seeing a breakthrough from this season
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Can't remember looking forward to a season as much in a long time, genuine reasons to be positive rather than just the hope of being less SteveWalsh than the season gone.

Think we have had good squads in the past but very rarely got the best (or near) out of them, changed days under Cockerill.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:49 pm

On paper it is a strong squad and more importantly it looks to have a better balance to it. In the past we have had a strong pack and dangerous backs but not really at the same time.

Still a few questions marks, mainly in the backs...

Is Hickey going to be as good as we hope/need?
Will be gel with Pyrgos?
Have Bennet and Scott still got it? Certainly Bennet looked to have lost a bit of acceleration and Scott looks to have bulked up, can they altar their style of play to still be a threat?
Is out back 3 unit strong enough and got enough cover?
Will Dicko, Ford & Sutherland get back to where they were?

Fingers crossed by my naturally miserable nature cautions me from getting too excited yet! I remember being excited about Ben Atiga joining and still haven't got over that disappointment!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Atiga is still around, isn't he? Shame he was broken as a player, but a good addition off the pitch.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:18 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Atiga is still around, isn't he? Shame he was broken as a player, but a good addition off the pitch.

No don’t think so. Shame we got him when he was having issues with injuries and I recall he was diagnosed with arthritis in his hips causing him to retire.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Atiga is still around, isn't he? Shame he was broken as a player, but a good addition off the pitch.

He is International Resettlement Advisor at the SRU
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:40 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:On paper it is a strong squad and more importantly it looks to have a better balance to it. In the past we have had a strong pack and dangerous backs but not really at the same time.

Still a few questions marks, mainly in the backs...

Is Hickey going to be as good as we hope/need?
Will be gel with Pyrgos?
Have Bennet and Scott still got it? Certainly Bennet looked to have lost a bit of acceleration and Scott looks to have bulked up, can they altar their style of play to still be a threat?
Is out back 3 unit strong enough and got enough cover?
Will Dicko, Ford & Sutherland get back to where they were?

Fingers crossed by my naturally miserable nature cautions me from getting too excited yet! I remember being excited about Ben Atiga joining and still haven't got over that disappointment!

Scott looked good for Gloucester at 13 - his ability to cut a good line and create a half break worked better than the bulky 12 he inexplicably was turned into. Looked smaller for Gloucester than he final season here. Will be interesting to see if he plays at 13 with Dean or Socino at 12.

Dickinson won't get back to where he was - been out two years and is already up there. I'd be surprised if he plays for Edinburgh again.

Even if Hickey isn't as good as hoped we have vdW who will have a preseason and some good game time. He wasn't even signed this season it's worth remembering.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Is out back 3 unit strong enough and got enough cover?

Obviously, we don't have much depth in the back-three with just six players. Each one of them should have valuable game time. But if I had to bet for a revelation next year, it would be our academy winger Blain. A beast physically, but also very quick and elusive. McLean is also much praised so maybe Cockeril is counting on our youngsters.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Wild rumour time - Pat Lambie spotted in Edinburgh...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/transfer ... -edinburgh

A source close to Edinburgh Rugby did not ‘expressly deny’ the club’s interest (presumably as they were unable to speak for laughing). Article states that ER are down 3 10s (Weir, Tovey and Burleigh, who’s a 12). Ignores van Der Walt, Hickey, Baggott and McLelland signings in the last 9 months.

In order of likelihood:

1. Lambie’s injured just now and having a few days at the Festival
2. He’s in talks with Dodson about sign8ng for Glasgow
3. He’s in talks with Edinburgh

Nice rumour though, even if he’s out for 6 months...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm

New Gunner wrote:Wild rumour time - Pat Lambie spotted in Edinburgh...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/transfer ... -edinburgh

A source close to Edinburgh Rugby did not ‘expressly deny’ the club’s interest (presumably as they were unable to speak for laughing). Article states that ER are down 3 10s (Weir, Tovey and Burleigh, who’s a 12). Ignores van Der Walt, Hickey, Baggott and McLelland signings in the last 9 months.

In order of likelihood:

1. Lambie’s injured just now and having a few days at the Festival
2. He’s in talks with Dodson about sign8ng for Glasgow
3. He’s in talks with Edinburgh

Nice rumour though, even if he’s out for 6 months...

I doubt we're after him given our signings. Probably a rugby writer who's not aware that Edinburgh is a tourist destination at this time of year.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Lambie also plays full back.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Lambie isn't coming to Scotland unless his knee injury is so had Racing will release him. In any case - he'll have just been at the fringe.

Really great interview with Nick Lumley in the Times today. Mata dropped 8 kg last pre season and it showed on the pitch. McCallum 13kg!!

He was diplomatic but in that diplomacy was fairly scathing of the old regime. Also sounds like exactly the time of guy you want Strocker learning from.

I really think we'll be very good this season.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum