Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 am

I think having cockerill as a coach makes coming to Edinburgh more appealing
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 am

Finlay Christie would be the most fantastic piece of business. A talented Scottish qualified 9 who is knarely and combative in the Gary Armstrong mould. Remember him having a blinder against the Lions for the Chiefs in the summer last year. He was a complete nuisance. I recall reading last year that like Damian McKenzie before him, he saw his future in NZ fighting for an All Blacks berth so unless something has changed the Kiwi 9 is probably not him.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am

New Gunner wrote:Offside Line interview with Cockers:

https://t.co/OkKVRuUpz9

Talking to a NZ scrum half to replace SHC - could it be SQ Finlay Christie? Would be interesting.

More good insight from Cockerill in the article - difficult to criticise much that he's done or said so far.

Clearly its Bin Smuth, looking for a new challenge!

Good, honest, interview. Squad size is a little concerning, we currently have 45/46 but that includes 7 players added through the season due to injury. Lay, Millar Mills, Shields, VDW and also Fife & Johnstone who were initially in the 7s squad. So is it better to hold back some budget for an injury crisis? Or go with a bigger squad in the first place, I can see merit in both, the likes of Lay and VDW probably wouldn't have come to sit on the bench.

There are a few more who I would think will leave who haven't been mentioned yet. Is Fruean's retirement official? Rasolea, Harries and Bryce I would think will leave form the backs at least, also Bryce and Cochrane in the forwards. I really hope we keep Hardie.

I'm not getting too excited about Matt Scott, have heard he is not 100% sold on the move and maybe wants another challenge. Hopefully Cockers can sell to him this is a different club now.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm

a 40 strong players squad is sure a small one. I don't know if it's very realistic but I have to admit that Cockerill has been pretty good in adding new players when needed this season.

So Barcly's signing means Du Preez's omission. I'm not sure to know if it's an improvement.
Hickey and Van Der Walt's signings mean Weir and Tovey's exits. Not sure Van Der Walt has been much better than Tovey so far, but time will tell. Tovey was a fine ball player and an astute kicker but I was not a fan of his attitude. I like very much Weir but he was quite unlucky here and never really settled.

So, at the moment (players : out of contract but could be resigned, rumoured signings, and unsure if they are/will be full pro or not) :

1- Dickinson, Dell, Sutherland, Marfo = 4
2- McInally, Ford, Cochrane, Fenton = 4
3- Nel, Berghan, McCallum = 3
4/5- Gilchrist, Toolis, McKenzie, Carmichael, Hunter-Hill = 5
6/7- Ritchie, Crosbie, Watson, Barclay, Hardie = 5
8- Bradbury, Mata, Miller = 3
9- Fowles, Kennedy, Shiel = 3
10- Hickey, Van Der Walt, McLelland = 3
12/13- Dean, Burleigh, Johnstone, Bennett, Scott = 5
11/14- Fife, Vand Der Merwe, Hoyland, Brown = 4
15- Kinghorn, Graham = 2

== 40 players... Is that the full and definite squad ? I expect to see one mote tighthead prop signed and maybe some others but any addition will mean a departure.

Edit : with Miller who is still contracted next year (thanks Biffer. For the others mentionned I don't think Galbraith has a two year contract, so could be ooc at the end of the season. I'm not sure for McLelland but it seems it's a pro deal), it's already 41 players. So one has already to move on. And the split is 24 forwards/16 backs.
Last edited by germain on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:32 pm

If Cockerill can bring in an upgrade at scrum half then he will. McLelland is academy next year afaik, don't know if there's a pecking order between him and Baggott? Another TH is probably right, possibly 2 - will Millar-Mills or Shields be kept on? You've also left Ally Miller off the list, he's still contracted for next year, as is Tom Galbraith I believe.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 pm

McClelland signed a pro deal strangely. Baggott will be gone unless he stays to play for Melrose but he won't get a fourth year in the academy.

CdP confirmed to Worcester - not a surprise as he followed Solly here. Denton leaving Worcester ...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:McClelland signed a pro deal strangely. .

Right enough, I had it in my head he'd gone into the academy for some reason.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm

biffer wrote: ....... he's still contracted for next year, as is Tom Galbraith I believe.

Pretty sure Galbraith had a 1 year deal out of the Academy so he is up for renewal or departure in May as well.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Actually very little room to move when you see it like that. I would think Cochrane or Fenton will go, possibly Cochrane retiring but he still has a bit to offer. If Dicko is fit then I cant see us keeping Marfo, just no room for 4 loose heads with international ambition, sadly I think the money is on Dicko coaching, which is better then nothing but would rather he played.

Scott a Burleigh may be interchangeable, i.e if Scott comes Burleigh may leave, hard to see them both needed.

Scrum half is the big weakness in there. Fowles and Kennedy are fine as second/thid choice but neither is really a starter for me.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Tom Galbraith is on a 1-year deal I believe.

I don't think we have been told McLelland's status, or have we? The thought that he is on a pro contract and will be the 3rd fly-half is rather belied by Cockers saying in that interview that you don't need three standoffs. Notice that McLelland started at 10 for the U20s v Wales but was switched to 12 v France, maybe the coaches are still deciding if and where he fits.

Here is, if I've got it right, the current status of the squad for next season:
Attachments
ER Squad, 2018-19 v2.png
ER Squad, 2018-19 v2.png (100.48 KiB) Viewed 6637 times
royc
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 pm

New Gunner wrote:Offside Line interview with Cockers:

https://t.co/OkKVRuUpz9

Talking to a NZ scrum half to replace SHC - could it be SQ Finlay Christie? Would be interesting.

More good insight from Cockerill in the article - difficult to criticise much that he's done or said so far.

Christie has a 2 year hurricane deal.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Ford first choice, my KelvinDeaker
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Ford first choice, my KelvinDeaker

As said previously, pecking order on chart is not a subjective exercise based on author's personal opinion. It is based on (1) Seniority, as in age, caps, likely wage levels, only varied by (2) someone lower in the pecking order winning more starts than someone higher.

You can't win caps if you're injured/absent, hence Hardie remains ahead of Watson on paper - and Ford ahead of McInally.

When I have a free day, I'll go through all the players, starts, (known) injury time out and absences and double-check that every detail is correct.
Last edited by royc on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm

royc wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Ford first choice, my KelvinDeaker

As said previously, pecking order on chart is not a subjective exercise based on author's personal opinion. It is based on (1) Seniority, as in age, caps, wage levels, only varied by (2) someone lower in the pecking order winning more starts than someone higher.

You can't win caps if you're injured/absent, hence Hardie remains ahead of Watson on paper - and Ford ahead of McInally.

Pay attention at the back!

Ok teach
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Do you think that the financial constraints which limit our squad both in quantity (just 40 players) and quality (big salaries not resigned) are due to the SRU saving funds for the Super 6 ?
We'll see if it's Cockerill's personnal policy or not when we'll see the size of Glasgow's squad for next year.
germain
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum