Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 pm

germain wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:SHC should move on. It's not working for him and it's not working for us right now. A change of scenery can hopefully help him become the player he can be and a 9 that offers more consistency can help us push on.

Ideally Shiel is good but we'll see - I really fancy Pyrgos to be shoehorned here - would be classic SRU.

It's a bit harsh for a player who scored a hat-trick at the week-end that helps us to win the game... He had two terrible years but he is far from bad this term.
What is sure is that his problem began when he was under Hodge's guidance (world cup 2015...). I don't think he would like like to work any longer with him if he had the choice. If he moves on, it could signify that Hodge is staying. Not sure I'm really happy of that.

His hat trick was excellent but we need to look over the course of the current or previous season. I don't think you can blame Hodge necessarily - SHC is just inconsistent but has talent whereas Kennedy and Fowles are consistently what they are rather than so erratic.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Pyrgos should be nowhere near Edinburgh's squad ever. He is pish! I'd rather have SHC, Fowles, Kennedy or Sheils ahead of Pyrgos who isn't even the second best 9 at Glasgow :roll:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:52 am

Which if the 9s listed would be second choice at Glasgow?

Not about how he compares to weedgie players, more about how he compares with what we have. I think he would be an excellent addition. Also in some of the tighter games where Glasgow are under more pressure I think they will use them more. He takes the right option more often than not and his service is good which is essential if there is slow ball. Ali Price is excellent off quick ball but like all scrum halves isn't as effective when things get tighter.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:35 am

If SHC does move on (and while I hope he doesn't, I suspect he will) I hope it's to Bath or Newcastle. Just can't see him bettering his chances of getting back in the Scotland mix by moving to London Irish.

That does assume, of course, that furthering his Scotland chances is the real reason for him (allegedly) moving. If it's just about money, any of the three would, doubtless, pay him more than Edinburgh. And if it's just about a change of scene and a refresh, don't think we can begrudge him that, and I'd wish him all the best.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Given the general reluctance to bin in contract SQ players then Fowles and Kennedy are under contract and here for next season and it seems SHC will be off.

My preference would be to get rid of Kennedy, re-sign SHC and bring in a good 9 that isn't necessarily SQ that could help bring on the young academy 9s who should be more involved next year.

I wouldn't have Pyrgos near Edinburgh. He's had access to the best coaching the SRU could offer and hasn't improved over the last few years IMO. I'd want a 9 who either is good and can help the others improve or has lots of potential (based on a good skillset) and can develop a long term partnership with our new 23/24 year old 10.

If Pyrgos wasn't SQ he wouldn't be mentioned IMO. If it must be a SQ 9 then Scott Steele is out of contract and has performed well anytime I have seen him for LI. Finlay Christie is another SQ 9 who looks a good talent with great potential. If it must be a SQ replacement I'd rather go with them than Pyrgos.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:09 am

I do agree but Pyrgos is SQ and 3rd choice scrum half for Scotland so he will be mentioned. And the SRU value that almost as much as sheer talent. I really can't see Scotland going into a world cup year with 1 SQ 9 starting every week as not sure Laidlaw will at Clermont.

Steele clearly just isn't fancied by the selectors but I am interested to see how he goes should he get the chance.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 pm

We need to resolve our issues at scrum half without looking for backup along the M8.

Pyrgos will stay at Glasgow and they will go into next season with Price as #1 and Pyrgos and Horne competing for backup. They'll all get a reasonable amount of game time because, notwithstanding injury, at least 2 of them will be in the Scotland squad.

I could see Pyrgos dropping to 3rd choice for Glasgow before this season is out though.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:42 pm

zt1903 wrote:We need to resolve our issues at scrum half without looking for backup along the M8.

Pyrgos will stay at Glasgow and they will go into next season with Price as #1 and Pyrgos and Horne competing for backup. They'll all get a reasonable amount of game time because, notwithstanding injury, at least 2 of them will be in the Scotland squad.

I could see Pyrgos dropping to 3rd choice for Glasgow before this season is out though.

I'd rather Horne is ahead of him. Scotland need their quality youngsters getting gametime especially when they are better than "senior" alternatives IMO.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Ritchie signs a contract extension until 2020.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm

biffer wrote:Ritchie signs a contract extension until 2020.

Really pleased to see contracts like these being addressed midway through existing terms. Far cry from the "leave it to the very last minute" approach of seasons gone by. More Cockers is getting right (or should I say is being allowed to get right).

That's us already with; Barclay, Bennett, Bradbury, Hickey, McInally, Nel, Ritchie, Toolis and Van der Walt all contracted out to end of season 2019/20
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:38 pm

2021 according to ER website, great news either way.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/1 ... until-2021
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:2021 according to ER website, great news either way.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/1 ... until-2021

The Club's Facebook post says 2020 :roll: Guess we need to hold off a bit and see which of the two announcements get's corrected. As you say great news either way but let's hope it's 2021 making Ritchie the 1st of the ER players contracted for season 2020/21.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Good news on Ritchie, he has put on some weight and looks very strong now. He is carrying well and runs very good support lines along with being a total pain in the KelvinDeaker at the breakdown for the opposition.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Good news on Ritchie, he has put on some weight and looks very strong now. He is carrying well and runs very good support lines along with being a total pain in the KelvinDeaker at the breakdown for the opposition.

Absolutely. Great to see young developing talent sign on.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Ritchie is like Kinghorn in you forget how young he is as he's been a pro since school. So last year I was a bit concerned about his lack of development but this year he's been outstanding and looked like our best back row this year I'd say. Unlucky not to get a cap.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum