Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Wottie on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am

Interesting piece about Graham this. I think in previous years this situation would probably have resulted in the player being released? He is however one of only 6 back three players in the Edinburgh squad and with Brown and Hoyland having played very little rugby over the past season, it's important that Darcy get's with the 15's programme ASAP. The hand of Cockerill evident once more!

Was intrigued to see Glen Bryce has not been included in the 7's squad for San Fran. (particularly as Jack Cuthbert is in there :eek: ). I had thought that that might have been the way his career may have gone and haven't seen any news of him signing anywhere else. Still think he was worth a contract for his versatility.
#AlwaysBlack&Red
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby New Gunner on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 am

Wottie wrote:Interesting piece about Graham this. I think in previous years this situation would probably have resulted in the player being released? He is however one of only 6 back three players in the Edinburgh squad and with Brown and Hoyland having played very little rugby over the past season, it's important that Darcy get's with the 15's programme ASAP. The hand of Cockerill evident once more!

Was intrigued to see Glen Bryce has not been included in the 7's squad for San Fran. (particularly as Jack Cuthbert is in there :eek: ). I had thought that that might have been the way his career may have gone and haven't seen any news of him signing anywhere else. Still think he was worth a contract for his versatility.


Hoyland is currently wearing a moon boot and on crutches so don’t think he’ll be playing any time soon, may well be part of the thinking.

Also picked up from Twitter (Scottish Rugby Blog) that John Hardie is currently in France - and also a suggestion that he failed a medical at Clermont earlier in the summer. Presumably that’s why he had surgery, and now back to re-prove - or perhaps talk to Vern?

Agree on Glenn Bryce, depending on budget, can’t imagine he’d be cheap and yet covers 15, 13 and possibly wing at a push. As mentioned by others, if we’re light anywhere it’s in the back 3.
New Gunner
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby germain on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 am

New Gunner wrote:Agree on Glenn Bryce, depending on budget, can’t imagine he’d be cheap and yet covers 15, 13 and possibly wing at a push. As mentioned by others, if we’re light anywhere it’s in the back 3.


Following his brother's footsteps back in Glasgow ?
germain
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:43 am

Of the 2 I was certainly more excited about Glenn signing than Kevin. He has a bit about him that just doesn't seem to have come through often enough.

Not sure what the situation is now but the wages paid to the 7s players were very low and for an established pro to go there would be a significant cut. I would think he could get better money in the English championship. He should be better than that though. Hopefully its not too late for him to find some form. I would not have been upset if we had kept him on, we do lack a bit of cover in the back 3.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby adi1314 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

Glenn can also cover 13.

The few games I saw him in the 7's he looked v handy as well. Hopefully we will see him in an Edi/Gla/Sco top again soon.
adi1314
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: Isle of Man

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby disco on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Bit of a look at the recruitment for both Glasgow and Edinburgh, taking in the two clubs' Depth Charts with only players brought in over the last 12 month or so included.

https://wp.me/p68WtH-80b

The headline numbers (total recruits, number hitting the 1st or 2nd XV rather than just backups) are reasonably similar. Edinburgh have gone particularly heavy on reshaping their top backline.
disco
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks Disco, puts a bit of perspective on it. It might be good to show the leavers over the same period in a chart too. I don’t think it is fully appreciated just what a rebuild, particularly in the backs Edinburgh have made.

Even a list similar to Glasgow would be good.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Wottie on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Thanks Disco, puts a bit of perspective on it. It might be good to show the leavers over the same period in a chart too. I don’t think it is fully appreciated just what a rebuild, particularly in the backs Edinburgh have made.

Even a list similar to Glasgow would be good.


Not in one of Disco's nice charts but here they are, excluding players that were here on loan only. Major rebuild as you say. Adjusting for the part season additions of Shields, Miller-Mills and Lay, 38% of the player roster at the start of last season are now gone:

2016/17
Cosgrove (Jack)
Manu (Nasi)
Allen (Michael) - Retired
Beavon (Nick)
Helu (Will)
Northam (Alex)
Tofilau (Sasa)
Whyte (Kyle)

2017/18
Fihaki (Viliami)
Scholes (Rory)
Fraser (Hugh) - Retired
Bresler (Anton)
Turner (George)
Du Preez (Cornell)
Hidalgo-Clyne (Sam)
Tovey (Jason)
Weir (Duncan)
Rasolea (Solomoni)
Burleigh (Phil)
Fruean (Robbie) - Retired
Bryce (Kevin)
Hardie (John)
Bryce (Glenn)
Cochrane (Neil) - Retired
Galbraith (Tom)
Harries (Jason)
Miller-Mills (Elliot)
Shields (Matt)
Lay (Jordan)
#AlwaysBlack&Red
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby disco on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:19 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Thanks Disco, puts a bit of perspective on it. It might be good to show the leavers over the same period in a chart too. I don’t think it is fully appreciated just what a rebuild, particularly in the backs Edinburgh have made.

Even a list similar to Glasgow would be good.

If we go from the start of the 2017/18 season to now then roughly something like this (some of the positions will vary, especially in the back row):

LH prop:
Al Dickinson (1st choice) out? – replaced by Pierre Schoeman

Hooker:
Neil Cochrane (3rd choice) out – replaced by David Cherry
George Turner (4th choice) out – replaced by Cammy Fenton

TH prop:
Kevin Bryce (4th choice) out – replaced by Pietro Ceccarelli

Lock:
Anton Bresler (4th choice) out – no direct replacement

Blindside:
Viliami Fihaki (3rd choice) out – replaced by Luke Crosbie
Also added Senitiki Nayalo

Openside:
John Hardie (2nd choice) out – replaced by Luke Hamilton

Number 8:
Cornell Du Preez (2nd choice) out – replaced by John Barclay

Scrum half:
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (1st choice) out – replaced by Henry Pyrgos
Hugh Fraser (4th choice) out – replaced by Charlie Shiel

Stand off:
Duncan Weir (1st choice) out – replaced by Simon Hickey
Jason Tovey (2nd choice) out – replaced by Jaco van der Walt
Also added Callum McLelland and Jason Baggott

Centre:
Robbie Freuan (1st choice) out – replaced by Matt Scott
Phil Burleigh (4th choice) out – replaced by Juan Pablo Socino
Solomoni Rasoled (5th choice) out – replaced by James Johnstone
Tom Galbraith (6th choice) out – replaced by George Taylor

Wing:
Rory Scholes (4th choice) out – replaced by Duhan van der Merwe
Jason Harries (3rd choice) out – no direct replacement

Full back:
Glenn Bryce (2nd choice) out – replaced by Dougie Fife
disco
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Offside line has Archie Erskine off to Lille. Wonder who will join him?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby New Gunner on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Phil Burleigh has apparently signed for Canterbury, and was playing for his local club New Brighton last week alongside his younger brother.

Sam Beard made his debut for the Crusaders last month, hopefully they both have success back in NZ. Both underrated.
New Gunner
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby zt1903 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:38 pm

@disco - thanks for the analysis.

Minor point, would regard Fife as a Wing and therefore a replacement for Harries. Rather it’s Bryce for whom there’s no direct replacement.
zt1903
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby disco on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:13 pm

zt1903 wrote:@disco - thanks for the analysis.

Minor point, would regard Fife as a Wing and therefore a replacement for Harries. Rather it’s Bryce for whom there’s no direct replacement.

Fair point. It'll be interesting to see how Cockerill covers full back this season if he loses young Blair for both Test windows and has to give him the Scotland rest protocols - ie maximum of 5 games in a row. Van Der Walt should be an option but it would mean him flitting between 15 and 10 on a semi-regular basis. Not a major issue but maybe hampers his chances of pushing Hickey for the starting berth at stand off.
disco
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby biffer on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:35 pm

disco wrote:
zt1903 wrote:@disco - thanks for the analysis.

Minor point, would regard Fife as a Wing and therefore a replacement for Harries. Rather it’s Bryce for whom there’s no direct replacement.

Fair point. It'll be interesting to see how Cockerill covers full back this season if he loses young Blair for both Test windows and has to give him the Scotland rest protocols - ie maximum of 5 games in a row. Van Der Walt should be an option but it would mean him flitting between 15 and 10 on a semi-regular basis. Not a major issue but maybe hampers his chances of pushing Hickey for the starting berth at stand off.


Let's not forget Graham.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3823
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 pm

New Gunner wrote:Phil Burleigh has apparently signed for Canterbury, and was playing for his local club New Brighton last week alongside his younger brother.

Sam Beard made his debut for the Crusaders last month, hopefully they both have success back in NZ. Both underrated.


What?! Sam Beard playing for the greatest club team on the planet? That's a surprise. He was underrated but still not a great player.

Would like Burleigh to end on his feet - great player for us.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests