Cheetahs v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cheetahs v Edinburgh

Postby biffer on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 pm

BigD163 wrote:Brown has been called up for Scotland. Not sure if it's injury related or Cochrane will be S.A. bound.

Maitland and Brown both rejoining the squad after returning to fitness. I would hope we might get Cochrane and Fife back in that case.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 pm

My thoughts-although probably have enough fit wingers already without absolutely needing Fife.
Cochrane would be a great boost as presumably (only) an Academy or club hooker already there backing up Fenton.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm

gowrie wrote:As far as I can tell, Galbraith hasn't played this season so is probably injured. And of the academy, Winning and Ure are out as well at least.

Correct, Tom Galbraith has yet to play for Edinburgh. It doesn't necessarily mean he's injured though, three of the young players in their first season haven't had the call yet - Galbraith, Hunter-Hill and Miller - but that is as likely down to competition for places. Galbraith is the 6th of 6 fit centres, in what is a rather overloaded position. Ditto CHH, who is the 6th of 6 fit locks and Miller, who is 5th, 6th or 7th back row, depending who's fit and not suspended this week. (You do need 6 locks and 7 back rows, but 6 centres is a bit of a luxury).

I had forgotten about Duncan Ferguson in the Academy, the South African tighthead at Currie who joined the Academy mid-season; he might be a replacement for Winning, if he's up to speed.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

royc wrote:
gowrie wrote:As far as I can tell, Galbraith hasn't played this season so is probably injured. And of the academy, Winning and Ure are out as well at least.

Correct, Tom Galbraith has yet to play for Edinburgh. It doesn't necessarily mean he's injured though, three of the young players in their first season haven't had the call yet - Galbraith, Hunter-Hill and Miller - but that is as likely down to competition for places. Galbraith is the 6th of 6 fit centres, in what is a rather overloaded position. Ditto CHH, who is the 6th of 6 fit locks and Miller, who is 5th, 6th or 7th back row, depending who's fit and not suspended this week. (You do need 6 locks and 7 back rows, but 6 centres is a bit of a luxury).

No, I mean he hasn't played at all, hasn't made an appearance for Melrose even when they've had injuries. CHH and Miller have been playing for Stirling/Melrose so we know they're fit.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:36 pm

gowrie wrote:
royc wrote:

No, I mean he hasn't played at all, hasn't made an appearance for Melrose even when they've had injuries. CHH and Miller have been playing for Stirling/Melrose so we know they're fit.

OK, with you now, Galbraith must indeed be crocked.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm

biffer wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Brown has been called up for Scotland. Not sure if it's injury related or Cochrane will be S.A. bound.

Maitland and Brown both rejoining the squad after returning to fitness. I would hope we might get Cochrane and Fife back in that case.

Judging by the bad dancing, Fife is already in SA.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Team's up:

1. Rizzo
2. Cochrane
3. McCallum
4. Bresler
5. McKenzie
6. Carmichael
7. Crosbie
8. Mata
9. SHC
10. Tovey
11. Van der Merwe
12. Dean
13. Johnstone
14. Fife
15. Kinghorn

16. Fenton, 17. Sutherland, 18. Bryce, 19. Hunter-Hill, 20. Bradbury, 21. Fowles, 22. Van der Walt, 23. Rasolea

Stronger bench than expected, good to have some Scotland releases playing. Also like that we're finally getting Dean/Johnstone in the centres to see what they can do.
Last edited by gowrie on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Could have been a lot worse!
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 pm

A stronger team than I thought we were going to be able to put out

Rizzo, Cochrane, McCallum, MacKenzie, Bresler, Carmichael, Crosbie, Mata,
SHC, Tovey, van der Merwe, Dean, Johnstone, Fife, Kinghorn

Fenton, Sutherland, Bryce, Hunter-Hill, Bradbury, Fowles, van der Walt, Rasolea

by my count that's 5 released from Scotland duties?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Looking very much better than expected a couple of weeks ago.Will benteresting to see the two SA newcomers plus Hunter-Hill.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 pm

gowrie wrote:Team's up:

1. Rizzo
2. Cochrane
3. McCallum
4. Bresler
5. McKenzie
6. Carmichael
7. Crosbie
8. Mata
9. SHC
10. Tovey
11. Van der Merwe
12. Dean
13. Johnstone
14. Fife
15. Kinghorn

16. Fenton, 17. Sutherland, 18. Bryce, 19. Hunter-Hill, 20. Bradbury, 21. Fowles, 22. Van der Walt, 23. Rasolea

Stronger bench than expected, good to have some Scotland releases playing. Also like that we're finally getting Dean/Johnstone in the centres to see what they can do.

Interesting. Pretty good line up all things considered. Ritchie and Burleigh held back as a spare for Scotland? Dunbar still in concussion protocol.

I wonder who is on standby for Scotland should a LHP or 9 go down?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:05 pm

BigD163 wrote:I wonder who is on standby for Scotland should a LHP or 9 go down?

Think Jon Welsh will be covering both sides if one of the props goes down. No idea about SH but Mike Blair could probably still do a job :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Glasgow aren't playing until Sunday so if required I would think they could cover with G Horne and Allan.

Stronger team than I thought we would put out and a decent bench, Cheetahs going to be a difficult game though.

I quite like the look of our backrow and am looking forward to seeing what Van Der Merve can do.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:16 pm

With Hunter-Hill in the squad it looks like Ally Miller is the only uninjured player left who's not had a run out. I hope he gets a run against Krasny Yar to show what he can (or can't) do.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Wottie wrote:
BigD163 wrote:I wonder who is on standby for Scotland should a LHP or 9 go down?

Think Jon Welsh will be covering both sides if one of the props goes down. No idea about SH but Mike Blair could probably still do a job :wink:

Forgot about Welsh.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum