Cheetahs v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cheetahs v Edinburgh

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:51 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Bryce injured again, can he play anything more than 5mins?

Not sure he was actually injured. Although it happened the last time, he come on and got injured. I thought then that it had been tactical but it wasn't.

He has been very badly managed, he should have been send for a year to Heriots or wherever to learn the trade, then half a season at London Scots, then bring him into the team. Similar to the way Rambo was handled. Its not fair to expect him to learn TH with so little live scrummaging during a game.

He was a serviceable hooker who was ahead of the likes of Cochrane, probably 4th choice for Scotland, now he is at least 7th choice TH and to be honest his career may well be over. I do feel for him a bit.

Other than that it was a very odd game, we started like a train. Then seemed to totally lose our way and ability to break them down. They do have unbelievable pace out wide and know how to use it. SHC getting a lot of stick, not sure he was any worse than anyone else. New 10, looked ok, 2 kicks were inches from being brilliant, but he didn't need to be pushing it that hard.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:. SHC getting a lot of stick, not sure he was any worse than anyone else.

This

and it was his speed of thought that got us our only try and his boot all our other points

I sometimes think I'm watching a different game

He was not perfect, not by a distance, a handful of mistakes, but that was commonplace throughout the team, tbh

The scrum was very poor by comparisons to what we've come to expect, and it wasn't all Bryce
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:04 am

I had to leave after 55 minutes or so when 14-13. I was thinking at that point we'd done pretty well and there were some promising performances. Slightly surprised to come back to read all of this. Not much looking forward to watching the last 25 minutes.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:57 am

Before I start - anyone got any update on Hardie?

Positives - VdM will be a threat ball in hand, big strong pacy
VdW looks to have a tremendous boot on him, 2 kicks to touch were CMs from being tremendous
Dean, Mata did ok

Negatives - SHC like other posters I'm fed up with waiting for his form to return
Bryce - simply not up to it

Now I wasn't expecting too much given the absentees but was disappointed, in the 1st 1/4 there were points to be had & Cheetahs were there for the taking - result 0 points, the writing was on the wall from then......some horrible kicking (SHC should've spoken to VdW re the SA air & the fact that the ball behaves differently) really cost us.

Tovey going off didn't help.

The SRU should transfer G.Horne from Glasgow & sign Vellacott that's a start.

RC has obviously seen 10 needs sorted & (by the looks of it) sorted it, he is likely looking at sorting other areas of the team too
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:34 am

I thought that SHC was going to be our no9 for years, I have watched him since he played schools for Merchie and thought he had it all, pace, good boot, decent pass, etc. However he seems to have gone backwards at a steady rate of knots in the last couple of years. I have harboured hopes that all would end up good but I think he is now a lost cause. Last night he was awful, kicking out on the full, slow delivery, awful passing, etc. OK he took his try well but only after their 9, just on the pitch, went walkabout and left a hole the size of Princess Street in their defence which even I could have exploited!

Whilst others may have been equally poor, there were a few to pick from, the 9-10 axis is critical to the team and when they play badly it is very difficult for the rest of the team to perform. They control the game, make the calls and should be guiding the team around the park. Our guys did neither! SHC and Tovey (for as long as he was on the pitch) both showed last night exactly why neither have enough to take us forward. There were a number of occasions when our forwards won a turnover, set the ball back and then watched SHC box kick it straight into touch from outside the 22 or way off target. I'm surprised one of them didn't take lumps out of him. Tovey was a bit like a rabbit in the headlights and he just looked lost as the game went on around him. At least our new 10 looked a bit better, although he missed two crucial penalties to touch in 2nd half.

We have really struggled with both positions in last 2-3 years and whilst Cockerill has taken steps to address the 10 position he must now realise that we need at least one if not two new 9s. Velacott would be a fantastic signing but I can't really see him being prised away from Gloucester. As per discussion on other thread I am hoping that Cockerill has plans to sort out, I hope so!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Vellacott isn't going to come here - recently signed a longer contract for Gloucester.

Pyrgos is more likely to join than Horne jnr. Shiel should get an opportunity soon - he's erratic but his passing us very good.

The problem I have with SHC isn't the missed kick because he saw space but his passing isn't good. It's slow, wobbly, top high or too high, behind or in front. He doesn't consistently pass well enough for a 9.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:36 am

Thanks all, your posts have settled the decision on whether to watch Cheetahs or re-run the Australia game this morning.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Was posted on anothwr forum that a few boys have apparently flown out to S.A. today. CdP, GG, Ritchie and others.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:29 pm

BigD163 wrote:Was posted on anothwr forum that a few boys have apparently flown out to S.A. today. CdP, GG, Ritchie and others.

Friend of mine met them at the airport. GG, Burleigh, Ritchie, CdP and Berghan I think.
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:06 am

I think we're being a wee bit harsh.

We are still in the early days of Cockerill rebuilding the team. There were a lot of players missing, and we were really scraping the barrel in places to put a team out. A few players are still plainly struggling for confidence / understanding the systems. We were playing a team we'd not seen before, and in an unfamiliar environment (I've played on the Highveld in winter, even then it is as far from Scottish conditions as you can get. Summer would be even worse).

It was a poor result. There will be downs as well as ups as the team progresses. Let's hope this a blip that is corrected. If it isn't, then we can start worrying.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 am

Weegie wrote:I think we're being a wee bit harsh.

We are still in the early days of Cockerill rebuilding the team. There were a lot of players missing, and we were really scraping the barrel in places to put a team out. A few players are still plainly struggling for confidence / understanding the systems. We were playing a team we'd not seen before, and in an unfamiliar environment (I've played on the Highveld in winter, even then it is as far from Scottish conditions as you can get. Summer would be even worse).

It was a poor result. There will be downs as well as ups as the team progresses. Let's hope this a blip that is corrected. If it isn't, then we can start worrying.

I'm not hugely worried about this game, but it wasn't a good performance. Take conditions, away game, missing internationals and them being higher up the table than us and you'd expect a two-score loss. We underperformed to that, so need to improve for next week to make sure we get the win against the Kings.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:11 am

Jockybadger wrote:Before I start - anyone got any update on Hardie?

I'm really pleased we have Barclay signed.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:06 am

I can understand Ritchie and Burleigh are fresh (ok Burleigh came off the bench on Saturday) but the others have played in all three tests so possibly a rest before London Irish a week on Saturday might have been better?
Of course maybe they'll just train lightly and enjoy the sunshine!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:02 pm

From the pics etc it looks like as much of the squad as possible is out in SA including injured players like Kennedy and Bennett. I would assume the Scotland contingent or at least those that played a fair amount over the AIs may not be used, but are out just to be with the rest of the squad which would tie with the club ethos Cockerill is looking to build (or he does not trust them not fall on their heads when he is not around).

Cheetahs match almost looked like we went out and played too hard and blew up at 25mins, which at altitude and in 30c is possible I guess. If it had been our first choice team I would be more concerned, given conditions and players involved I don’t think it is as bad as the Treviso match.

Kings won’t be an easy match they have got better as the season has gone on without actually winning but they are scoring tries and running teams close. We really need to win and keep the pressure on the teams above us.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:From the pics etc it looks like as much of the squad as possible is out in SA including injured players like Kennedy and Bennett. I would assume the Scotland contingent or at least those that played a fair amount over the AIs may not be used, but are out just to be with the rest of the squad which would tie with the club ethos Cockerill is looking to build (or he does not trust them not fall on their heads when he is not around).

Cheetahs match almost looked like we went out and played too hard and blew up at 25mins, which at altitude and in 30c is possible I guess. If it had been our first choice team I would be more concerned, given conditions and players involved I don’t think it is as bad as the Treviso match.

Kings won’t be an easy match they have got better as the season has gone on without actually winning but they are scoring tries and running teams close. We really need to win and keep the pressure on the teams above us.

Yeah, Both Ulster and the Scarlets have had close games against them recently. This will be a tough one.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum