Cheetahs v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Cheetahs v Edinburgh

Postby royc on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 pm

If the six players called up to the Scotland squad who were not used yesterday are kept as cover for the Australia game, I make it 27 players available (IF all fit) for the two South African games. Which is pretty thin and short in the front row.

2 x FBs: Kinghorn, Bryce
4 x Wings: Brown, Harries, Hoyland, van der Merwe
5 x Centres: Johnstone, Fruean, Dean, Rasolea, Galbraith
2 x 10s: Tovey, van der Walt ('available for selection immediately')
2 x SHs: SHC, Shiel from Academy

1 x Loosehead: Rizzo
1 x Hooker: Fenton
2 x Tightheads: McCallum, Bryce K
4 x Locks: McKenzie, Bresler, Carmichael, CH-H
4 x Back Row: Mata, Ritchie, Crosbie, Miller

It would be handy to get Sutherland, Cochrane and Bradbury back from the Scottish squad, if not needed for the Australia game, also Fife, Burleigh and Fowles.

Even with them, I can see 4 academy boys getting the call, Renwick, Dunbar, Winning for the front row and probably Jamie Ure for the back row.

Ford and Graham were listed as returning to full training in early November, but haven't seen them listed for a club so it may be too soon for them.

Can't see pulling off a win against Cheetahs with a very understrength pack. Still, in Cockerill we trust.
royc
World Cup Star

Re: Cheetahs v Edinburgh

Postby liveinhope on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Pretty well my thoughts too on who is left (Tom Brown injured?)
I doubt there will be any releases especially in the forwards until after the Aus match starts which would likely mean some of Sutherland,Cochrane,Bradbury,Burleigh,Ritchie and Fowles could fly out on Sunday for the Southern Kings match a week on Friday. I suspect (partly for budgeting purposes?) only 3 or 4 will go over-probably just forwards and Fowles as we should be very well covered in the back five already.
And depending on fitness of Watson,Wilson and Hamilton perhaps one or both of Ritchie and Bradbury will be needed for the Scottish 23 on Saturday.
Having said that barring hooker and LH we could still put out a pretty good 15/23 given the circumstances.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:22 pm

As far as I can tell, Galbraith hasn't played this season so is probably injured. And of the academy, Winning and Ure are out as well at least.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Watson was hobbling around last night so Ritchie or Bradbury may get retained.

Seymour was really limping too. Not sure they'd retain Fife though.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Maitland played for Sarries the other night. Not sure if they will call a player from outwith and put them straight in?

Looks like Watson wont make next week, so would not be surprised if Wilson played 7, Hamilton will also miss out, so it would make sense to bring Struass or Denton straight in but I would think GT will give either Ritchie or Bradbury a run.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:57 pm

No chance of getting any of the front row players. Need three of each position to cover for injuries in the warm up.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Would we be able/allowed to play Bryce at hooker (or at least have him covering at hooker)? A front row of him, McCallum and Rizzo wouldn't be too bad.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:28 pm

There is a chance we could get Cochrane back. I actually quite like Fenton, young but got something about him. Would not be surpised to see Bryce come on at hooker even if we have another hooker on the bench. He is good cover.

Sutherland should be available should he not? Unless he gets called up too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Sutherland was called up to the Scotland squad. Wouldn't surprise me if he got in over Bhatti who isn't up to the level yet.

I'd start Fenton at hooker before Bryce. You never know a young guy applying some pressure will be good with ford and Cochrane getting on.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

I was wondering if some of the posts are mixing up the two matches.As the squad is already in SA we are not now going to get anyone else from the Scottish squad in time to play in the Cheetahs match on Saturday.My earlier post was only looking at possible releases (i.e. only those not involved in next Saturday's 23) who might be available to fly over next weekend and play against Southern Kings a week on Saturday.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Ref my earlier post I now realise the Cheetahs match is on Friday night (I think originally scheduled for Saturday?)
Again I seem to recall that Alba were due to cover it (but not the Souther Kings match ).Can anyone confirm the tv coverage?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:24 pm

liveinhope wrote:Ref my earlier post I now realise the Cheetahs match is on Friday night (I think originally scheduled for Saturday?)
Again I seem to recall that Alba were due to cover it (but not the Souther Kings match ).Can anyone confirm the tv coverage?

Did my best to trawl the truly awful Pro14 website, clearly not optimised / loading correctly for iPad :roll:

Anyway, looks like the Cheetahs game is on Alba, the following week Alba is showing Weegies v Cardiff (where they can get a first glimpse of what a Finn-less future looks like). The Kings match only on SafferTV / dodgy streams near you.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 am

New Gunner wrote:
Did my best to trawl the truly awful Pro14 website, clearly not optimised / loading correctly for iPad :roll:

Anyway, looks like the Cheetahs game is on Alba, the following week Alba is showing Weegies v Cardiff (where they can get a first glimpse of what a Finn-less future looks like). The Kings match only on SafferTV / dodgy streams near you.

This usually works, although it won't give any "unofficial" options, and isn't the fastest to load :

http://www.wheresthematch.com/tv/home.a ... &sportid=3

17:30 ko on Friday.

However appalling PRO 14 scheduling means that Edinburgh,( according to this website I'm recommending :lol: ) already short due to internationals, have to play two games in four hours on two continents ! :eek: :lol:
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 am

According to the Radio Times match definitely on Alba this Friday and note its 5.30pm UK time (7.30 in SA).
(So next Friday's-1st December- match v King's will be 5.15pm (no tv coverage here though).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Brown has been called up for Scotland. Not sure if it's injury related or Cochrane will be S.A. bound.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum