1872 - The Glasgow leg (30th December 15.15)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

1872 - The Glasgow leg (30th December 15.15)

Postby Wottie on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Wowzers! Just bought our tickets for the 1872 away leg this afternoon and there is already literally chuff all left. Available seats are scarce and located either low down in the dead ball area at the extremities of the Main or North stands, or behind the goal in East or West. Scotstoun really is way too small for this fixture these days!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Re: 1872 - The Glasgow leg (30th December 15.15)

Postby David990 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:20 am

To be fair, Scotstoun's capacity could be increased to 10,000 and we'd probably sell it out regularly. Sold out every game so far this season. I have admittedly not paid as much attention to Embra as I probably should have apart from scores so I know the team have almost/totalled games won already as many as last season. Probably wrong thread for it but what's the crowds been like? General feeling from fans on the direction of the club?
David990
International

Postby Wottie on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:24 am

I would say ER are getting c. 4,000 into Myreside just now. Feels like on an upward trend (linked to the product on the pitch getting better) and in its present set up the ground has a 6,000 capacity. It’s been said they can get it up to 12,000 but I’m struggling to see how that can be achieved. My point on the post was that ER seem to have been given a really poor allocation to the game. Not sure if the ER allocation is open to all yet or just ST holders but if it’s the later there will likely be nothing left for non ST fan base. Should they not be increasing the size of end stands at Scotstoun now. Looks to be plenty of space and your comment suggests they should do so now.

As you say David990 it does deserve its own thread, but briefly, my view is there is cautious (we have abeen here loads of times before) but very real optimism that the club is on the up. Cockers is sorting out the culture (or lack of one) and what appears to have been a prevailing attitude problem within the squad. We have seen early signing / contract activity this season suggesting proper planning for next season. Securing Barclay’s services was inspired and gives us the onfield and club leadership so desperately needed. Finaly, the style of rugby emerging of late is better and more entertaining. I’m personally really optimistic.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:12 am

The issue with expanding Scotstoun would mean encroaching onto the track, which would cause the Athletics club to kick off a massive fuss. That being said I've read somewhere that the track is damaged/no longer fit for purpose which means they wouldn't be able to use it for meets. I have also read somewhere that the SRU have spoken to the council in regards to expanding the North stand into something similar to the current Main stand which would more than likely increase capacity to 10,000. Not heard anything lately though so its a wait and see really. Capacity is really choking us at the moment as ST holders make up over 2/3rds of the stadium and if current form is anything to go by then even more people will want to watch next season :lol:

Its a really good problem to have I suppose considering we weren't even getting 500 back in the Hughenden days
David990
International

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum