Kings v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Kings v Edinburgh

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Another thanks for the link, good to see Cockers motivated upstairs, everyone committed I thought, some guys gave more but all does make me positive for the future.
Pitfitter

Postby Frenchy on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Cochrane looked to be clearly KO at 8:57 (match clock)/13:44 (video clock). Should've been taken off.

EDIT: Taken off for, and presumably passes, an HIA a couple of minutes later, but he should have been taken off anyway.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Thanks for the link, FG.

I thought we were terrific for the first quarter, really positive, good quick ball got us on the front foot and we raced away to 21 points. We had a two try deficit thanks to two howler passes from CDP of all people (otherwise he had a very good game) but the pass to the toes of Van der Walt which led to a run in for them, and the pass which zipped over Van der Merve's left shoulder which cost us a try was a turning point and the game got scrappy after that.
As has been said we got it together again with the subs of Sammy and Toolis, though Fraz had made great efforts to things back on track with his carrying. It was interesting that when those subs were made we got quick ball again and finished very strongly. They never really looked like scoring, they got one sponny try and driving maul success after we were 30 points up, a forward down with seconds on the clock. It's a shame we lost that try, our maul defence had been good up till then.

Plusses - the defence was good, Van der Merve looks a likely prospect, Sammy's speed of thought (21 points from that), Bill Mata before he got hurt.
5 points

Medium to poor, and this is being very critical, it took a while to re-assert control and get quick ball on the front foot after those mistakes mentioned earlier.

Still a work in progress, but we are at the number of league wins we got last season.

I really want us to break the Weedgies' stride over the holiday period.

Now, now. You can win as many games as you like and I'll happily cheer for you but you must loose against us. Our streak must continue!!!! :mrgreen:
David990
International

Postby joe soap on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:19 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Full game on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EErvyZUXkkY

take a bow!
I'd like something like every game, excellent quality with no inane commentary or punditry.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 pm

New Gunner wrote:So let's hear it from the 'SHC's never going to make it' brigade then.

Last Embra player to score a hat trick?

Last Embra player to score 21 points in 23 minutes?

Last Embra player to score 4 tries in one and a quarter games?

Fowles still on 1 try in Embra career to date.

Yes I know his service can be shaky. Yes, his box kicks out on the full can be a nightmare. But cut the guy some slack FFS :roll:

cut me some slack. He scored tries, yes, well done, against a 14 man very tired defence. Tired in no small part due to the almost immaculate service from Fowles which kept up loads of momentum.
He almost butchered the first one (I'm still not convinced the ball touched the post, and he rolled it anyway) by trying to milk a pen climbing all over the Kings players when it was easier just to get the ball and dab it down.
Then he got lectured by the ref for stupidly getting shout at the touch judge AFTER the TJ had signalled the pen and the ref had called it.
And he still threw a couple of "typical" passes.

He scored the tries, fair enough, but he still has a long way to go to convince me he is anything more than a bench option against tiring defences. He isn't as good as he or you think he is
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:31 pm

delighted with the 5 points, some very good performances from Cochrane (and Fenton when he came on), Fowles I thought excellent, very quick to every break down and fast accurate service. A few had good starts then faded, put them away nicely as they tired.

Can only play what is in front of you, but there is no way to dress it up, the reality check is KIngs are shockingly poor. Is there a single player who would enhance the Edinburgh player pool? (forget match day squad, definitely none!)
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:33 am

The issue with SHC isn't a running game - he's never really lost that. It's consistent decision making and execution. His kicking game is patchy, his passing is erratic and it hurts the game plan.

George Horne and Ali Price both have good running games but first and foremost the zip and accuracy to their service is consistently top drawer.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:The issue with SHC isn't a running game - he's never really lost that. It's consistent decision making and execution. His kicking game is patchy, his passing is erratic and it hurts the game plan.

George Horne and Ali Price both have good running games but first and foremost the zip and accuracy to their service is consistently top drawer.

That's because they are playing behind a pack that covets fast front foot ball above all else - put SHC behind that and he'd do well.

As per the laws of nature, when Glasgow get overpowered up front, ie Munster every game last year, Leinster first XV and Sarries etc, Price is much less effective - nothing wrong with that, it's how it works.

I really don't think we have a problem at scrum half, we have a problem with the speed and quality of the ball they have to deal with
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Even when Price isn't effective behind a bad pack his pass is still laser sharp and accurate. Can't say I've seen enough of Horne to comment. SHC's actual pass is just too inconsistent whether the pack are going forward or backwards.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:50 pm

You're building a false myth. SHC's passing is not god damn awful ! I read critics on his passing against the Kings : I must be blind. At least it's not very obvious... And it's not the first time I think those critics are not very fair.
And you can be sure than his kicking is better than Price's.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 pm

germain wrote:You're building a false myth. SHC's passing is not god damn awful ! I read critics on his passing against the Kings : I must be blind. At least it's not very obvious... And it's not the first time I think those critics are not very fair.
And you can be sure than his kicking is better than Price's.

Doesn’t matter what people on here think, but Cockers and Townsend clearly don’t think his service is at the appropriate level at the moment and that’s all that matters. Knowing how Townsend operates, he will have spoken to him and made it clear what he needs to work on to get back into the Scotland squad. It’s up to Sammy to get there and it probably doesn’t matter whether he does it at ER or in the Premiership.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Wottie wrote:
Doesn’t matter what people on here think, but Cockers and Townsend clearly don’t think his service is at the appropriate level at the moment and that’s all that matters. Knowing how Townsend operates, he will have spoken to him and made it clear what he needs to work on to get back into the Scotland squad. It’s up to Sammy to get there and it probably doesn’t matter whether he does it at ER or in the Premiership.

Toonie made it clear, no surprise here, but Cockerill ? I may be wrong but think Sam has started more games than Fowles. Or an equal number. Less would suprise me much.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:19 pm

germain wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Toonie made it clear, no surprise here, but Cockerill ? I may be wrong but think Sam has started more games than Fowles. Or an equal number. Less would suprise me much.

We can paint it anyway but he's not first choice for Edinburgh so Cockers isn't over enamoured.

SHC has a good pass - of course he does he's a professional 9 however it's not as good as a top class 9s.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:08 am

SHC is a fantastic kicker, out of hand and from the tee, and very consistent with it. I don't know where the idea there's a problem with his kicking game came from.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 am

macdone wrote:SHC is a fantastic kicker, out of hand and from the tee, and very consistent with it. I don't know where the idea there's a problem with his kicking game came from.

Years of watching pishy, poorly placed, aimless box kicks has probably got a lot to do with it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum