Kings v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Kings v Edinburgh

Postby biffer on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm

This is a tricky one. Their results have been improving, narrow losses recently to Ulster and the Scarlets. Tough, but the addition of a few from the Scotland squad will hopefully see us through.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Kings v Edinburgh

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:45 pm

They've run some sides close, but we should still win this. Scarlets were missing a whole bunch, and Ulster are used to turning in diabolical away performances. Also we've had another week to acclimatise to SA, which is more than those two teams had.

Maybe
1. Sutherland, 2. Cochrane, 3. McCallum, 4. McKenzie, 5. Toolis, 6. Mata, 7. Ritchie, 8. Bradbury
9. Fowles, 10. Van der Walt, 11. Van der Merwe, 12. Dean, 13. Johnstone, 14. Hoyland, 15. Kinghorn
16. Fenton, 17. Rizzo, 18. Berghan, 19. Gilchrist, 20. Du Preez, 21. Shiel, 22. Burleigh, 23. Fife
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:21 pm

gowrie wrote: Also we've had another week to acclimatise to SA, which is more than those two teams had.

acclimatising really isn't an issue. Easter Cape is much further south and temperatures much kinder, by KO time should be just like home, in a warm spring evening! And no altitude problem.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Returning Scotland players should hopefully bolster the Embra team on and off the field. Expect a win in a close fought match.
David990
International

Postby germain on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Tough game to come. Kings are closer than ever from a first win.
We're solid but unspectacular. We'll be lacking our maestro at 10 and the only replacement hardly knows the team. If Weir was fit, I would go with him.
Leinster, Ulster and us are all away against "weaker" teams. Who will make the best of this schedule ?
germain
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 pm

I liked Mata at 8 and hope he gets another shot there against Kings. He'd only played 26 minutes of rugby for ER this season, one outing off the bench, but had the most carries against Cheetahs (6, Cochrane 5, Kinghorn, Dean, van der Merwe, Capn McKenzie 3). Also made a lot of metres, third behind van der Merve 99, Kinghorn 81, Mata 62 (cf Johnstone 30, Dean 27), which is not at all shabby for a forward, it's normally the speedsters who make the yards.

His acceleration is very good, he is deceptively fast, can step and hand players off and barge through tackles, he's a big, rumbustious lad and was causing the Cheetahs' defence some headaches. He took the ball to ground each time IIRC, one reason might have been that there was nobody in support keeping up with him, but then again maybe that's just how he's used to playing. I'd like to see some support on his shoulder next time and him passing out of the tackle, there are not many in the squad opening the line up like he did and the three-quarters should be rushing through the gaps. He looks a very good ball-carrying option at 8.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Team's oot

Sutherland, Cochrane, Berghan, MacKenzie, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Mata, du Preez
Fowles, van der Walt, van der Merwe, Burleigh, Johnstone, Fife, Kinghorn

Fenton, Rizzo, McCallum, Toolic, Bradbury, SHC, Dean, Bryce
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Crosbie showing as back row replacement now.

Good to see a strong team out hopefully the Scottish contingent coming back in can give the squad a lift and we can get a win.

Assuming they are not injured, Bresler and Hoyland are really not getting much game time this season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:12 pm

At the exception of McInally and Watson, pretty much our best team.

Interesting for Van der Walt.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 pm

No disrespect to the King's, but it'll be a major blow if we don't win with that side.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Obviously also missing our best options at LH-Marfo or Dell of course(. Sutherland has been out for a year so I suspect some time before he's really back to his best.)
Oh and Tovey.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:56 pm

liveinhope wrote:Obviously also missing our best options at LH-Marfo or Dell of course(. Sutherland has been out for a year so I suspect some time before he's really back to his best.)
Oh and Tovey.

I don't count injured players (Dell and Tovey) but you're right, Marfo is at the moment our starter at LH. :)

Bar the Glasgow games, this our last outing in the Pro14 for the year. It would be good to finish on a hight.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Any news of a radio or viewing feed, or will it be youtube later?
Pitfitter

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Pitfitter wrote:Any news of a radio or viewing feed, or will it be youtube later?

The pro 14 site says it's being shown in South Africa on their Sky equivalent, so I guess it will be available on the usual streams

I'll miss it unfortunately so I'm hoping it will be on youtube at some point
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

Them:

15 Yaw Penxe, 14 Michael Makase, 13 Harlon Klaasen, 12 Berton Klaasen, 11 Anthony Volmink, 10 Kurt Coleman, 9 Rudi van Rooyen, 8 Ruaan Lerm, 7 Martinus Burger, 6 Andisa Ntsila, 5 Bobby De Wee, 4 Stephan Greeff, 3 Rossouw De Klerk, 2 Stephan Coetzee, 1 Schalk Ferreira (captain)

Substitutes: 16 Alandre Van Rooyen, 17 Luvuyo Pupuma, 18 Pieter Scholtz, 19 Lubabalo Mtyanda, 20 Dries van Schalkwyk, 21 Godlen Masimla, 22 Barend Janse van Rensburg, 23 Jacques Nel

Only a couple of names I recognise (and in the case of De Klerk, that recognition is more for off-field reasons than on!)

Hadn't clocked that the Kings played last Sunday and so will have had two days less to recover/train than us. Should help us out big time.
Rico
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum