George Turner

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: George Turner

Postby Weegie on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:30 pm

borderflanker wrote:The flare ups not just this season, he`s had run ins with other squad members in the past , particularly at the end of last season.

Not good enough to play for Edinburgh, troublemaker........I can see why Glasgow wanted him.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:27 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Game for weeg tonight probably a very good example of why he has been behind ERs other three hookers, very good in the loose, not very good in the set piece, brain fart for a yellow which could have been red on a bad ref day.

Think the others do the hooker basics far better and would take that over the loose play which is a bonus really, and I am not sure in rambos case that is not better at present as well.

The yellow on Gray a minute after Turner came back on should have been a red for Turner as it was he who pulled the maul down.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:49 pm

macdone wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Game for weeg tonight probably a very good example of why he has been behind ERs other three hookers, very good in the loose, not very good in the set piece, brain fart for a yellow which could have been red on a bad ref day.

Think the others do the hooker basics far better and would take that over the loose play which is a bonus really, and I am not sure in rambos case that is not better at present as well.

Problem is we're going to need to go shopping for 2 hookers in the next year or 2. So we need to ask if we can find someone better than Turner. I think we should show some faith in him.

Perhaps Jake Kerr will be an option when he finishes his degree at Loughborough. You'd think K. Bryce would surely revert back to hooker too. But it might be difficult to find 2 decent SQ options.

Jake Kerr’s at Leicester and part of their senior squad.

We have Fenton and Renwick on the books to develop just now. I think we’ll get 2-3 more seasons out of Ford btw, especially if he is getting less game time due to McInally’s form.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:02 am

Cammy Fenton has already shown more than Kerr did at Edinburgh. Ford has at least one, probably two or three more seasons in him. Cochrane I don’t think has a lot left in the tank, but is far more likely to be a coach than the other aging front rows. There’s another hooker in the academy as well. No panic required.
Last edited by biffer on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:46 pm

4 week ban for the cheap shot in the Montpellier game.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:32 pm

biffer wrote:Cammy Fenton has already shown more than Kerr did at Edinburgh. Ford has at least one, probably two or three more seasons in him. Cochrane I don’t think has a lot left in the tank, but is far more likely to be a coach than the other aging front rows. There’s another hooker in the academy as well. No panic required.

Bit harsh on Kerr, who I think was still a teenager when he left. But overall you're right IMO, Cochrane could still go awhile as well I think.

biffer wrote:4 week ban for the cheap shot in the Montpellier game.

Can't argue with that. Plain stupidity.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Bit harsh. No previous bad behaviour, is there?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

I think it’s about right.

That other players get off a bit too lightly sometimes (making it seem harsh) doesn’t excuse an unnecessary and deliberate cheap shot into the back of a player who isn’t looking.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:13 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

Playing for Heriots a few years ago he stamped on the head of an Accies player, but I've no idea if non-pro disciplinary record is considered.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 pm

This incident appears to have brought forward quite a few stories about Turner at all levels of the game none of which are positive. While he undoubtedly has some rugby ability it appears overshadowed by his ability to be a dick, which along with a weak set piece, maybe partly explains why a number of ER coaches have not played him.

This most recent yellow card which was such an unnecessary cheap shot is not what someone out of contract at the end of the season needs to be doing. Think some of the experienced/senior players need to have a word
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Frenchy wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

Playing for Heriots a few years ago he stamped on the head of an Accies player, but I've no idea if non-pro disciplinary record is considered.

Disciplinary record at all levels of rugby (once the player is over 18 I believe) is taken into account. Definitely a stamp on the head for that one? Only the match reports just describe a stamp and he only got a one week ban for it. Would have thought if it was the head it would have been a significantly longer suspension.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am

disco wrote:Disciplinary record at all levels of rugby (once the player is over 18 I believe) is taken into account. Definitely a stamp on the head for that one? Only the match reports just describe a stamp and he only got a one week ban for it. Would have thought if it was the head it would have been a significantly longer suspension.

I have to admit to not seeing it myself, but others near me in the crowd definitely said it was to the head. Officials will have had a better view though, so it probably wasn't a stamp to the head.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 am

Clip on Twitter from Rugby@blitsdefence showing GT putting his shoulder into a Leinster players head neck area with no arm wrap, potential citing in the offing.
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 am

Seen the clip it is hard to tell where the actual contact was due to a player obscuring the view at the time of impact.

It does look unnecessary and a bit of cheap shot, however that sort of clear out is happening more and more often and it is not getting punished.

Think he would be unlucky if he is the only player to get a citing for that style of clear out, Nick Williams for example does that at every ruck.

Turner does need to be careful he is getting a reputation (like Marler) where every 50/50 contact will be under scrutiny and the default is to say “idiot ban him”.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 am

borderflanker wrote:Clip on Twitter from Rugby@blitsdefence showing GT putting his shoulder into a Leinster players head neck area with no arm wrap, potential citing in the offing.

I noticed it real time when watching the game and thought at the time he had got away with one. Don't think it will attract a citing however.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum