George Turner

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: George Turner

Postby macdone on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:51 am

The one thing that gives me hope is that while he's been shockingly treated, it's not been by Cockerill. One of the first things Cockerill did when he got the job was tell Hodge and Scott to give Turner some games. Who better than Cockerill to continue his development.

Under NO circumstances should we do anything that involves Pat McArthur coming the other way.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 am

In what way has he been shockingly treated? He wasn't deemed as good as the other options and wasn't picked. GT has continued this by picking Ford and McInally ahead of him for Scotland. Im all for giving young players a chance but it has to be merit based.

Also not sure sending him out on loan is any better than not playing him in terms of how a coach rates his play.

Its pro sport and a tough old world. He has taken his chance to an extent with Glasgow but Brown will be straight back in ahead of him when he is fit. His game time for Glasgow tells a lot more about their resources at hooker than ours.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:50 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:In what way has he been shockingly treated? He wasn't deemed as good as the other options and wasn't picked. GT has continued this by picking Ford and McInally ahead of him for Scotland. Im all for giving young players a chance but it has to be merit based.

Also not sure sending him out on loan is any better than not playing him in terms of how a coach rates his play.

Its pro sport and a tough old world. He has taken his chance to an extent with Glasgow but Brown will be straight back in ahead of him when he is fit. His game time for Glasgow tells a lot more about their resources at hooker than ours.

That was my 1st thought too. I'd have him back next year as I think he has some potential.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Turner is a cracking player. He is a bit lightweight in the front row and needs a couple of hefty props beside him but his work in the loose is top class. He plays like another 7, has pace and is excellent at linking up play, he also carries aggressively and doesn't shy away from the hard stuff. He has developed this season and apart from trying too hard at times hasn't let anyone down. As for next season it all depends on what is happening with Ford and Cochrane next season, both of whom are in the twilight of their career and might only have 1 or 2 seasons left in them. Turner is too good to be playing as a 3rd choice behind McInally and Ford so I wouldn't have a problem him being no2 at the Weegies. I would prefer to see him back with us though as a longer term replacement for Ford and Cochrane. Good problem to have though, its not too often we end up on this forum debating from a position of riches!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

I reckon Ford will be around for a good few years yet.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:15 pm

doedin wrote: Good problem to have though, its not too often we end up on this forum debating from a position of riches!

You're talking about front-row positions. We always have problem of riches in the front-row stokes. If the game was just about scrum, we would be world beaters. Even with Solomons ! 8)
germain
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 am

I`m not sure of the welcome he`ll receive if he was to come back as he`s been involved in bust ups with some of our squad members.
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:22 pm

borderflanker wrote:I`m not sure of the welcome he`ll receive if he was to come back as he`s been involved in bust ups with some of our squad members.

?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:45 pm

biffer wrote:
borderflanker wrote:I`m not sure of the welcome he`ll receive if he was to come back as he`s been involved in bust ups with some of our squad members.

?

Heard there were a couple of flare-ups in the Scotland camp before the All Blacks game. All good healthy stuff IMO, means they care!! :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:44 pm

The flare ups not just this season, he`s had run ins with other squad members in the past , particularly at the end of last season.
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby doedin on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

If true then he's not coming back then! Shame
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Game for weeg tonight probably a very good example of why he has been behind ERs other three hookers, very good in the loose, not very good in the set piece, brain fart for a yellow which could have been red on a bad ref day.

Think the others do the hooker basics far better and would take that over the loose play which is a bonus really, and I am not sure in rambos case that is not better at present as well.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:16 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Game for weeg tonight probably a very good example of why he has been behind ERs other three hookers, very good in the loose, not very good in the set piece, brain fart for a yellow which could have been red on a bad ref day.

Think the others do the hooker basics far better and would take that over the loose play which is a bonus really, and I am not sure in rambos case that is not better at present as well.

He was at fault on several occasions last week too, although given the limited amount of game time that he's had over the past couple of years it's a miracle that he remembers any of the laws at all.

I remain unconvinced that Ford is any part of the future, but I think you're right about Rambo on current form.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:28 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Game for weeg tonight probably a very good example of why he has been behind ERs other three hookers, very good in the loose, not very good in the set piece, brain fart for a yellow which could have been red on a bad ref day.

Problem is we're going to need to go shopping for 2 hookers in the next year or 2. So we need to ask if we can find someone better than Turner. I think we should show some faith in him.

Perhaps Jake Kerr will be an option when he finishes his degree at Loughborough. You'd think K. Bryce would surely revert back to hooker too. But it might be difficult to find 2 decent SQ options.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 am

The lineout seemed to be Cotter knowing what Humphrey and Gray were going to call as the Montpellier jumpers were getting on top of the Glasgow ones but his throwing wasn't the best.

Yellow card was stupid.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum