George Turner

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

George Turner

Postby macdone on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:52 am

He's having a great time in Glasgow - playing every week and doing brilliantly in defence and as a ball carrier. Could improve his scrummaging but that should come with games.

What do we do at the end of the season - let him stay with Glasgow or bring him back?
macdone
World Cup Star

Re: George Turner

Postby Rico on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:43 am

Can't see him coming back to Edinburgh now, unfortunately. Not unless Ford retires or something.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:06 pm

Why would he come back to Edinburgh?

He’s first choice at Glasgow just now (although behind a fit Brown) and he’d be behind, at the very least, McInally and Ford, who are both contracted for a couple more years. Even if Cochrane moved on he’d still be 3rd choice and he has demonstrated that he deserves better than that.

Best for all that he stays with the Weeg and we develop Fenton and Renwick.

Pat McArthur might want to look for a new club as Brown, Turnerand potentially Malcolm are all better than him.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:16 pm

It would be stupid of us to keep him, since he appears to be behind McInally and Ford in Cockerill's eyes. It'd just hurt Glasgow and Scotland, for almost no gain for us.

Better to try and develop Fenton/Renwick, whoever to step up when we lose Cochrane and Ford.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 pm

I agree, I don't think he will or should be back. His style suits Glasgow perfectly and I don't think I would have him in front og Ford or McInally.

He is a very good player and does some fantastic things, but he also does some things not so well, set piece being a large part of that.

In 2 yrs time it may prove to be the wrong decision but we can only make decisions based on now.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Slightly surprised by those opinions. Cochrane is 34 next month, Ford is 34 in April. McInally, Brown and Turner will likely be the top 3 hookers in Scotland for the 5 or 6 years.

If we bring Turner back and play him (as 2nd choice, competing to be 1st choice) we are sorted. Let him stay west and Glasgow are sorted while we have to go shopping.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:42 pm

I suppose partly it's working backwards from the idea that Turner will want to move, after all why wouldn't he? Earlier in the year he was talking about this being a make or break season for him even being involved in the professional game, and now after a few months at Glasgow he's capped and a strong contender for a WC squad place.

Ford is good at least for this season and next, Cochrane hardly looks like he's slowing down either and Fenton's been a solid 4th choice so far, that's reasonable strength at hooker.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Best thing for Scottish rugby would be for them to keep Turner and we'll have George Horne in return!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Let's not forgot the Kennedy case.
Turner succeed there and not here. Why would we want him to come back here ? Good luck to him.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:16 pm

macdone wrote:Slightly surprised by those opinions.

you shouldn't be.

Age of the other 2 apart, lets look at the "he suits the Weegie style" argument. That will be the style Scotland are playing, and the one Edinburgh are moving toward,both simply as they evolve and because Townsend and Johnson will want the players used to playing that way - at pace.
So here we have a player under contract to Edinburgh, has proved he can play at any level, has his best years ahead of him, plays like an extra back and like an extra flanker, but no thanks we'll wait and see how the apprentices go in a couple of seasons time.

Unfortunately I strongly suspect there won't be room for him here as Ford's contract ensures he will be bed blocking and sucking up the wage bill until right up to the next World Cup, and Turner will stay where he is appreciated. Who could blame him
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:32 pm

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of posters on here who would love for us to get rid of half of our international players just because they aren’t flavour of the month.

I’d have him back in a heart beat. Ford and Cochrane will be lucky to have more than a season left in their legs and personally I’d rather have someone who can push McInally to perform. Turner and McInally could drive each other to higher levels. To those stating that George isn’t the finished article and makes mistakes/has weaknesses let’s not forget that McInally isn’t yet the finished article either despite a great autumn test series.

However after the shoddy treatment with the lack of chances he’s had over the years at Edinburgh I’d be really surprised if he wanted to come back east. If he is to stay in the west I’d agree with Nudger that a swap deal bringing George Horne through to Myreside would be brilliant :)
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:03 am

djphilp wrote:It never ceases to amaze me the amount of posters on here who would love for us to get rid of half of our international players just because they aren’t flavour of the month.

I’d have him back in a heart beat. Ford and Cochrane will be lucky to have more than a season left in their legs and personally I’d rather have someone who can push McInally to perform. Turner and McInally could drive each other to higher levels. To those stating that George isn’t the finished article and makes mistakes/has weaknesses let’s not forget that McInally isn’t yet the finished article either despite a great autumn test series.

However after the shoddy treatment with the lack of chances he’s had over the years at Edinburgh I’d be really surprised if he wanted to come back east. If he is to stay in the west I’d agree with Nudger that a swap deal bringing George Horne through to Myreside would be brilliant :)

One of whom is Ross Ford. A player who has been in some of the best form of his career over the last couple of seasons and doesn’t yet look like slowing down. I reckon Fordy is good until at least the end of 2018/19, maybe a couple of seasons beyond after an international retirement.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:00 am

AlainRolland off! Horne Jr is ours :x

You want him? Give us Watson and we'll call it quits :D
David990
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:11 pm

Turner is a must if possible. The guy is class. Ford and Cochrane are nearing retirement.

However, he's likely going to Glasgow for good. Fits their system better. Renwick isn't getting a shot for Hawks so.hppefully Fenton can continue.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 pm

djphilp wrote:It never ceases to amaze me the amount of posters on here who would love for us to get rid of half of our international players just because they aren’t flavour of the month.

All of this :above: Spot on.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum