European Qualification

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

European Qualification

Postby liveinhope on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Given we are nearly half way through the Pro 14 schedule reasonable to consider the possible scenarios in May.
Unless we make the top 3-still a possibility - we are looking fairly likely for fourth place.This would then put us into a play off with the fourth team in Conference B (or more likely the fifth teanm if Cheetahs stay in third place). So likely the lower of Cardiff or Connacht.Currently we have 28 points,Cardiff 19 and Connacht 18. Anyone know if the play off team with the higher number of points in their conference gets the home game or is it just drawn lots? A huge advantage for such an important game-unless its over two legs of course.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Re: European Qualification

Postby joe soap on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:36 pm

liveinhope wrote: Anyone know if the play off team with the higher number of points in their conference gets the home game or is it just drawn lots? A huge advantage for such an important game-unless its over two legs of course.

one game at the home of team with most points, if even points difference, then tries scored etc. On the Pro14 website
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Ta-good to know. (Of course I fully expect us to avoid that by being third or better....!)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:57 pm

I think we've got a very good chance of catching Ulster. They've been pretty poor this season, and going over there during the 6Ns could be just the opportunity. Our run in of three home games to finish the season might play to our advantage as well, particularly if Glasgow and Scarlets have the two conferences sewn up by then.

Ulster still have away games at Leinster, Connacht, Scarlets and their last game is away to Munster. They've got Glasgow and Munster at home yet to come as well.

A huge amount rests on the three Glasgow games as well.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:18 pm

biffer wrote:I think we've got a very good chance of catching Ulster.

That's quite optimistic. :)
It's a possibility, for sure. Ulster is the most likely of the three ahead of us to falter, but there is still a 7 points gap and we're going to face twice the only unbeaten team of the league (and Solomons is not here anymore !).
germain
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:35 pm

germain wrote:

It's a possibility, for sure. Ulster is the most likely of the three ahead of us to falter, but there is still a 7 points gap and we're going to face twice the only unbeaten team of the league (and Solomons is not here anymore !).

its optimistic but not overly optimistic. As Biffer says, Ulster have hardly been impressive, but its in Edinburgh's hands, play them twice.Very pessimistic to think its not on, it has to be a realistic goal
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 pm

germain wrote:

Yeah, but I think the schedule favours us. We’ve already been to Dublin and Llanelli and don’t have to go to Munster. Us v Glasgow can be a bit of a lottery, as has been shown it doesn’t reflect League form.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Having Embra in Champs cup rugby would be great for both the team and Scottish rugby. Go on and do us proud!
David990
International

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum