Edinburgh v London Irish 09Dec17 1935

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v London Irish 09Dec17 1935

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:43 am

The backs ran onto the ball more times with pace than not and at least Van Der Walt can make touch
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 am

GaryIPA wrote:Can anyone with a better view, or more knowledge than me explain what the 10 mins of scrum penalties we gave away were for?

Poor reffing mostly...
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:08 am

Cammo Gunner wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Can anyone with a better view, or more knowledge than me explain what the 10 mins of scrum penalties we gave away were for?

Poor reffing mostly...

Shirley not (insert spirit of rugby comment here)
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:08 am

GaryIPA wrote:The backs ran onto the ball more times with pace than not and at least Van Der Walt can make touch

:D

Though that would carry more weight were it not for him missing an important touch in the Cheetahs game
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:09 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Cammo Gunner wrote:

Poor reffing mostly...

Shirley not (insert spirit of rugby comment here)

Don't call me Shirley...
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:43 am

Sonicboom wrote:Seemed fairly clear to me that the LI backrow were swinging round. It was noticeable that when they stayed straight they didn't move our scrum at all. Think they pulled the wool over the referees eyes.

The way it all stopped when Sutherland was yellow carded suggested to me that the ref was actually on to something.

Alternatively, it also looked like Edinburgh decided to stop trying to move the scrum forward and instead just keep it stable.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 am

We were as good as we needed to be against a very poor Irish side last night. They looked like how we were in the worst depths of the Solomons era. Whilst I know they are bottom of their league I was astonished at how bad they were, lots of big guys running into nearest opponent then repeat and a reliance on the set piece. They really were awful and had no idea how to break our defence down when in possession. We should have had 60 or 70 points!

We looked very good and having got the BP win early it was good to see us keep playing and trying to amass more points. Ok we lost concentration a few times but that was to be expected. We had pretty good shape in defence and attack and looked far more professional, better coached, fitter and faster than them. Scrum was a farce due to the referee - they were turning it round more than we were and had their flanker coming up beyond their prop to drive into our guy and turn it round! Line out good and we made yards every time we got the ball. Mata, Gilchrist and Bradbury were just immense ball carriers. McInally gets better every time I see him and Watson was his usual rumbustious self. Toolis took an early knock but played well before going off. SHC continues to frustrate, his passing and box kicking were poor again but he sniped well and our 10 coped with the unreliable supply and was steady without doing anything fancy. Burleigh was a class act in the backs and if effect ran the game off of 10. Our back 3 looked dangerous with the ball. Graham was defensively sound and is crazily fast and scared the sh1t out of them in 2nd half.

Kennedy came on and showed SHC how a SH should be passing the ball, his first pass was better than any SHC had thrown all night. Rest of subs did well and kept pressure up. A solid performance all round, you can only play what is in front of you!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Frenchy wrote:
Sonicboom wrote:Seemed fairly clear to me that the LI backrow were swinging round. It was noticeable that when they stayed straight they didn't move our scrum at all. Think they pulled the wool over the referees eyes.

The way it all stopped when Sutherland was yellow carded suggested to me that the ref was actually on to something.

Alternatively, it also looked like Edinburgh decided to stop trying to move the scrum forward and instead just keep it stable.

That was my view on it, we stopped trying to get a shove on because the ref was only going to ref it one way.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Think it was the later as well, as no issues when Sutherland came back, also thought McCallum did well against Reid who is a decent scrummager.

There was a point where Graham and Kinghorn were chasing a kick looked like Kinghorn had higher top speed but Grahams acceleration and step are something else.

Agree re Burleigh very composed and good decisions. Hard to believe that was virtually the same backing as last season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Now I've defrosted from last night I reckon that there are more positives to be taken than negatives, yes LI were gash but we at least did try to compete for the full match, attendance was really no more than expected, in fact there may have been more at party nights inside Mfield than on the terracing. Roll on next week.
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 pm

'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 pm

I thought it was a good performance against a bad side but you can only play who is in front of you.

Quite like the look of Van Der Walt. Good distribution, decent kicking game - looks handy.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I thought it was a good performance against a bad side but you can only play who is in front of you.

Quite like the look of Van Der Walt. Good distribution, decent kicking game - looks handy.

Fair comment
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks Gil

6 tries?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA