Edinburgh v London Irish 09Dec17 1935

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v London Irish 09Dec17 1935

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Irish were an embarrassment
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:21 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Irish were an embarrassment

Perhaps they were, but it wasn't a bunch of kids or numpties we faced.
We were an embarrassment when Sarries held our heads down the toilet and flushed it at Murrayfield, I think we can enjoy the reverse feeling when it occurs. From reading the twitter feed we were never really under any pressure and took our chances as they arose.

There is still a long way to go for this team, but we can take a little satisfaction from a 50 pointer when it happens, I think.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:25 pm

It's a good sign when in consecutive weeks we've put bad teams to the sword.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Just need to take this form into the league. Just not against Glasgow though :wink:
David990
International

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Irish were an embarrassment

Perhaps they were, but it wasn't a bunch of kids or numpties we faced.
We were an embarrassment when Sarries held our heads down the toilet and flushed it at Murrayfield, I think we can enjoy the reverse feeling when it occurs. From reading the twitter feed we were never really under any pressure and took our chances as they arose.

There is still a long way to go for this team, but we can take a little satisfaction from a 50 pointer when it happens, I think.

Unsure why we’re referencing a game from nearly 5 years ago. It sounds like you weren’t at the game. If you had been your view might be different.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:55 pm

Can anyone with a better view, or more knowledge than me explain what the 10 mins of scrum penalties we gave away were for?

Did Irish struggle with the big in goal area or was it just gash handling?

Having not been for a while, lots of ball that would have knocked on in the past seemed to stick tonight. Is that a general improvement folk are seeing
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 am

Seemed fairly clear to me that the LI backrow were swinging round. It was noticeable that when they stayed straight they didn't move our scrum at all. Think they pulled the wool over the referees eyes.
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Unsure why we’re referencing a game from nearly 5 years ago. It sounds like you weren’t at the game. If you had been your view might be different.

Because it just seems the Edinburgh way to wring the hands and say, "aye we'll pay for this", rather than say, good job done against limited opposition.

A wee look on the bright side wouldn't go amiss now and again.

We could not have scored more than 15 points from the three games so far, 23 tries for, 6 against.

So far so good.

Are we going to win the league? No.

Are we going to win the cup? We might.

Are we better than we were last year? Yes.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 am

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Because it just seems the Edinburgh way to wring the hands and say, "aye we'll pay for this", rather than say, good job done against limited opposition.

Eh, who’s saying that?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:14 am

Sonicboom wrote:Seemed fairly clear to me that the LI backrow were swinging round. It was noticeable that when they stayed straight they didn't move our scrum at all. Think they pulled the wool over the referees eyes.

At one point he seemed level with the front row
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Eh, who’s saying that?

Wasn't your comment a criticism of the opposition as an embarrassment rather than saying Edinburgh played well?

It's kind of insulting to both teams, tbh.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:21 am

No it was an observation on how they played. They were very disappointing. I’d be going tonto if my team played like that.

Even more so if I’d travelled 300 odd miles to watch them.
Last edited by GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:22 am

GaryIPA wrote:No it was an observation on how they played. They were very disappointing. I’d be going tonto if my team played like that.

How did Edinburgh play?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 am

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:No it was an observation on how they played. They were very disappointing. I’d be going tonto if my team played like that.

How did Edinburgh play?

As I said above. Much better handling than I’ve seen in a long time. The new 10 seems to get the ball moving and a decent tactical boot. Tactical kicking was good box kicking was poor.

Moved through multiple phases well, probably helps we seem to be able to hold the ball now. Tackle and defensive stats will be interesting I expect in a good way. Passed the ball well across the pitch. Rambo looking like the real deal these days & Gilchrist getting back to his best.

Officials were what I expected. Non as much booing as last night :lol:
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:40 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

How did Edinburgh play?

As I said above. Much better handling than I’ve seen in a long time. The new 10 seems to get the ball moving and a decent tactical boot. Tactical kicking was good box kicking was poor.

Moved through multiple phases well, probably helps we seem to be able to hold the ball now. Tackle and defensive stats will be interesting I expect in a good way. Passed the ball well across the pitch. Rambo looking like the real deal these days & Gilchrist getting back to his best.

Officials were what I expected. Non as much booing as last night :lol:

That sounds positive, were we generating fast ball from the carries?

I think we have the backs now to make a mess of some teams if we can get on that elusive front foot, though we could really do with a Finn of our own.

We won't be making Leinster first XV lose sleep yet, but it sounds like we are making steps in the right direction. I expect there to be set backs along the way and we can't be too despondent when that happens, though it will seem like a return to the bad old days.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum