1872 First Leg

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 First Leg

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:56 am

Pyrgos standing clapping while Chris Dean walks past him is something I'm going to laugh at for a very long time.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:04 am

biffer wrote:I’m reading this, just in, about to go on to the weeg board and wind.

Mission accomplished! I would expect s card from the west today..

Neither team played well, Edinburgh were less bad and had more nous and work rate. It appeared Glasgow thought they had it won on the card. I thought takingWatsin off was nuts butMata was outstanding and would have been my man of the match.

Silly errors by both teams cost tries. Agree the swap of Ritchie for Fife was a gamble. Which paid you off handsomely. CDP and Ritchiepit in a huge shift covering fb and wing. I disagree slightly with vdw having a great game, he crabs a lot a shut down space for the centres, we didn't get the ball to Kinghirn or vdw enough, although not easy.

Glasgow looked as they have for much of the season, going for the miracle play all the time, when it works its great but on an off night it is awful. At the start Horne kicked intelligentlybut when vs 14 he stopped, Price didn't do anything other than give away a pen and allow Edinburgh to get fired up in the melee which I think was important at that time. If they'd had stood off that Glasgow would have won, Sammypiled in and got backup, these things are important.

Agree re YC Edinburgh props were lucky to stay on, but Glasgoe were brainless in how they used that advantage, Wilson missed more that expected? Leadership was poor, Brown isn't fit he was a shadow of himself. Agent Turner has done his job well!

Big worry for edin props next week, other than that I'm pretty confident.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:32 am

Full game now up in HD. The worst game you’ll enjoy watching again!

First Half
https://youtu.be/MvyYMwdM8dQ

Second Half
https://youtu.be/onDE3CJTC14
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 am

biffer wrote:Pyrgos standing clapping while Chris Dean walks past him is something I'm going to laugh at for a very long time.

I think this was part of the problem for Glasgow on this move. I feel the clapping lead some(all) of the players to think play had stopped.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:54 am

GaryIPA wrote:
biffer wrote:Pyrgos standing clapping while Chris Dean walks past him is something I'm going to laugh at for a very long time.

I think this was part of the problem for Glasgow on this move. I feel the clapping lead some(all) of the players to think play had stopped.

Why was he clapping an Edinburgh advantage anyway?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 am

Caught up on game. Some big performances in the forwards. I think the backs are full of potential when all fit. Will be good to watch them develop.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Poor poor game, shame that we went down to 14 men after 5 as it ruined any chance of a good game of rugby. Thought we dominated up front and our back row (all 2/3 of them) were just outstanding. We played the right game once Berghan (twat!) got sent off, kept the ball and controlled long periods of the game. WE dominated the breakdown and really slowed their ball down. Pleased to see our guys working well under pressure and making the right decisions most of the time.

The Weegies were just awful! Their pack were well beaten, the lost the breakdown and never really got good clean ball. When they did they either went for the heroic off load or kicked aimlessly. They looked about 5 yards off the pace all night. Just weren't up for it.

As others have said all our forwards did well, special mention to Sutherland who looks like he is getting back to his best, carried all night long until he went off exhausted. Put in a real shift. Mata is also beginning to look more and more like a real find! Always breaks the gain line when carrying.

Makes for an interesting game next week. Cant see the Weegies playing so badly again. However can see us playing the same game and doing well!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Why was he clapping an Edinburgh advantage anyway?

Presume he was trying to gee Glasgow up for the next play, shouting something like "Come on, one more phase" rather than "Splendid play boys".
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 pm

robdinsdale wrote:TMO ends the game with a soft red card in the first 5 minutes.

on what LawrenceBryce planet was that a soft red? He will get weeks for that, deserves it too. Could cost Edinburgh beyond last night, and as it should have last nght
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Did Carmichael take over the 19 jersey from Fraz before the game?

Or am I imagining it?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:05 pm

excellent night for Edinburgh. Nicked a game shouldn't have been in with a very hard nosed and streetwise display form he pack; and Ulster got humped. Whats not to like? :lol:

However, one swallow does not a summer make, bigger test next week, much bigger. Win that and can start to believe that not only have Edinburgh entered the corner but just maybe are starting to exit it
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Did Carmichael take over the 19 jersey from Fraz before the game?

Or am I imagining it?

Yes. Fras was still on the team video reel
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Did Carmichael take over the 19 jersey from Fraz before the game?

Or am I imagining it?

Yes he did, ER tweeted a late change about an hour before kickoff that Fraz was out with an ankle injury and would be replaced by Lewis C.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:58 pm

joe soap wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:TMO ends the game with a soft red card in the first 5 minutes.

on what LawrenceBryce planet was that a soft red? He will get weeks for that, deserves it too. Could cost Edinburgh beyond last night, and as it should have last nght

On reflection, I suppose so. I was just thinking that there wasn't a great deal of contact and the ref needed persuading by the TMO to give it - he was set to give a yellow I think.

Definitely daft by Berghan. We have generally been a lot more fired up this season, playing closer to the edge, and there was all the chat about niggle before the game. Do we need to rein it in a bit?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:58 pm

We too also were confused when the team was shown at the start at the names didn't match the big screen.
Pitfitter

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum