1872 Second Leg

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 Second Leg

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Stats do make interesting reading, more breaks more defenders beaten would like to think this time next season on the Cockerill journey sees the telling passes go to hand and we start to convert more of the breaks made against the better teams in the league into tries.

Encouraging signs, disappointed to be nilled, but over the two games we have done pretty well against a Glasgow side that was flying in the league, and with us missing so many quality props.

Nice to be looking toward the new year with a lot to be positive about.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Biggest difference in those state is the penalty count, we were twice as ill-disciplined as Glasgow, apparently. Looking at Disco's pre-match stats for Mike Adamson refereeing Glasgow that is the usual ratio for opposing teams. So we really had to be on best behaviour.
Significantly more line breaks for us and Glasgow missing a lot of tackles interesting.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:46 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Stats do make interesting reading, more breaks more defenders beaten would like to think this time next season on the Cockerill journey sees the telling passes go to hand and we start to convert more of the breaks made against the better teams in the league into tries.

Encouraging signs, disappointed to be nilled, but over the two games we have done pretty well against a Glasgow side that was flying in the league, and with us missing so many quality props.

Nice to be looking toward the new year with a lot to be positive about.

The reality is only one star counts but taking that one out it's not bad reading particularly tackles and defenders beaten if we can keep doing that results will come

Apparently big Dick was going radge yesterday so the players will know about it. I suspect secretly he still wants to be out there playing
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Nice to be looking toward the new year with a lot to be positive about.

And the nicest thing about it is that our season is not anymore all about beating or not Glasgow... Which is a big improvement.
We'll be at the eve of the new year, at worse, at 7 points of the Champions's Cup spot. More probably at 6 and maybe just at 4... That makes the league still very interesting for us.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:51 pm

germain wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Nice to be looking toward the new year with a lot to be positive about.

And the nicest thing about it is that our season is not anymore all about beating or not Glasgow... Which is a big improvement.
We'll be at the eve of the new year, at worse, at 7 points of the Champions's Cup spot. More probably at 6 and maybe just at 4... That makes the league still very interesting for us.

... and Southern Kings up next whilst Ulster have Leinster away.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:08 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
doedin wrote:Watson was reffed out of the game. Three turnovers made cleanly but each time penalised, a bit rough on him as I thought each was well made. Otherwise ref was ok for both sides, no problem from me.

Weegies played better rugby and their backs make more yards with ball in hand. Dunbar and Grigg made excellent yards off first and second phase ball and get over the gain line. We tend to crab sideways without committing a defender, guys need to straighten running line and draw defenders. VdW our 10 was lying too deep at times. He has an excellent pass off both hands and if he only sat closer to gain line then we might have made more yards. We also tend to have support runners running too flat and as a result the off loads tended to go behind support. Jones got it exactly right with his try coming from deep position and hitting the ball and gain line at pace.

Our scrum and line out struggled a bit but that was to be expected with our 4th or 5th choice props on the pitch. Otherwise we did well up front. However I thought Matt Fagerson and Smith were excellent for the Weegies and as a result we didnt dominate the breakdown as much as I had hoped. Fagerson Jnr is going to be some player.

To put the two games into context we are the first team to deny the Weegies a TBP win in Pro14, in both games. They looked poor because we made them look poor. Our defensive and aggression was excellent throughout both 80 mins. Our backs just need some better alignment and to straighten up their running lines. Lets not forget that VdW only joined us a matter of weeks ago and only arrived in Scotland a month ago. He was up against arguably one of the best 10s in Northern hemisphere at the moment. The main disappointment was our penalty count, it made the difference, our discipline needs to get better!

All fair comment

Agreed, all good analysis. On Adamson, I would never wish Clancy on anyone but why was an ex-Glasgow player reffing the Scottish derby while Clancy took charge of Cardiff - Scarlets? He shouldn't be placed in that position.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:23 pm

joe soap wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Thought we were the better side but lacked composure at key moments and got reffed out of it at points.

Adamson really was brutal. Only reffed one side today.

he was pish, pish for both teams. Loads of nonsense stuff missed including a couple of obvious high tackles form Edinburgh players and a jamesmatthew pen against Edin for a fair strip by Watson. a really biased ref would have had a player in he bin for the pen count.
Adamson is a SteveWalsh ref if you have watched him in other games, just not up to it, that said he should never have been put in charge of a Glasgow match, whoever made that decision is incompetent beyond incompetent

Agreed. He's a terrible ref. Has been poor anytime I've seen him ref.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:29 pm

gunneria wrote:
germain wrote:

Ulster have Munster at home tomorrow before the Leinster game next weekend.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:42 pm

I meant corresponding fixtures.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:05 am

gunneria wrote:
germain wrote:

I made a miscalculation... At worse tonight, we'll be at 8 points from Ulster. At best, at 3... But I can't see a Munster B team winning away against them. And next week, Leinster should rest a few starters before their european games.
We'll need to make a huge second part of the season to outrank Ulster.

Edit : I'm a bit slow to understand, but in fact the third place also allows us to compete in the play-offs: that's great. An exciting end of season awaits us potentially, one like we've not had at edinburgh for a good few years...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Currently Ulster 0-17 Munster.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Frenchy wrote:Currently Ulster 0-17 Munster.

Bonus point win for Ulster thanks to a highly suspect red card decision against Munster. P!sh
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 am

Rico wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Currently Ulster 0-17 Munster.

Bonus point win for Ulster thanks to a highly suspect red card decision against Munster. P!sh

A red on top of the yellow they were only a few minutes into. Add to that the 7 points they they left on the park through 3 relatively straightforward kicks in the first half and it’s total P!sh!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 pm

Any link to review the game ? :?
germain
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum