1872 Second Leg

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 Second Leg

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:01 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

Yes it is you brought up injuries. We’re not on the same wavelength on this one. Let’s not fall out.

No falling out necessary, but losing four looseheads and playing one you signed this week, allied to losing two tightheads and starting a guy in transition, but all of the props injured or suspended are ahead of our Glasgow counterparts, save Fagerson as Nel’s deputy, then it’s going to have an efffect on the game. Not to mention Fordy’s scrummaging.

I’m typing on a tablet, so this is a bit jumbled
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 pm

My last comment on this. It reflects the nature of the game.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:34 pm

David990 wrote:And Nick Grigg.

Grigg and Johnson have both been excellent in the centre for Glasgow this season

It’s a real shame about Fruean, aside from what he brings himself, he would have really helped bring Dean on
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:06 pm

gunneria wrote:I've seen the Hoyland score a few times now and think it should have stood. The ball goes backwards initially and.in any case, came off Jackson's hand. Not sure why he didn't go to the TMO other than being a former Glasgow player and reluctant to use.

Absolutely right.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:15 pm

zt1903 wrote:
gunneria wrote:I've seen the Hoyland score a few times now and think it should have stood. The ball goes backwards initially and.in any case, came off Jackson's hand. Not sure why he didn't go to the TMO other than being a former Glasgow player and reluctant to use.

Absolutely right.

Happens all the time. Ball is dropped and the ref behind play immediately gives a knock on. I'd like the TMO used less so it's not something that massively gets my goat - you win some you lose some.

Adamson was shocking though - not sure why an ex player is managing his former side...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
We'll disagree on that

Well okay, but put Nel, Bergs, Dicko/Sutherland/Dell/Marfo on the park and a lot would have changed, they got a fair bit of momentum from the scrum and maul.

I thought the main difference today was Russell.

I thought the main difference was the scrum - we just had no control. Also our two key lineouts were overthrows and we didn't apply scoreboard pressure when given the chance. That knock on by Van Der Walt also looks crucial. A game of such fine margins.

I don't think Russell was outstanding.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
We'll disagree on that

Well okay, but put Nel, Bergs, Dicko/Sutherland/Dell/Marfo on the park and a lot would have changed, they got a fair bit of momentum from the scrum and maul.

I thought the main difference today was Russell.

I thought the main difference was the scrum - we just had no control. Also our two key lineouts were overthrows and we didn't apply scoreboard pressure when given the chance. That knock on by Van Der Walt also looks crucial. A game of such fine margins.

I don't think Russell was outstanding.

Russell ran their game and looked like the player most likely to break the game for either side, whilst we stuffed up a couple of line outs, so did they.Our fly half managed to miss a crucial touch kick, yet again, otherwise he was anonymous. Having said that he was good last week.

The scrum was poor from our point of view, but it could have gone worse for us than it did.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:23 am

zt1903 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Thought we were the better side but lacked composure at key moments and got reffed out of it at points.

Adamson really was brutal. Only reffed one side today.

he was pish, pish for both teams. Loads of nonsense stuff missed including a couple of obvious high tackles form Edinburgh players and a jamesmatthew pen against Edin for a fair strip by Watson. a really biased ref would have had a player in he bin for the pen count.
Adamson is a SteveWalsh ref if you have watched him in other games, just not up to it, that said he should never have been put in charge of a Glasgow match, whoever made that decision is incompetent beyond incompetent
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:31 am

Tichtheid wrote:Very disappointing scoreline, I don't think it reflects the game at all.

On another day those passes would have stuck, and we missed our props.

Anyway, before last week's game I was looking for effort, staying in the game to the last, and we mostly got that over the two games, Glasgow played a professional last quarter to take the game out of reach and make us play 7s from our own line with 79 mins on the clock.

VDM looks a real find.

I thought Rambo was motm

I'd go with all of that. Need to watch the lineouts again to see what happened with the 2 overthrows but Rambo far more worth MoM than last week. He was quite outstanding in the loose and a real go to leader,

There were a few what ifs but to be honest neither team looked that likely to create real openings and both defences scrambled well with the odd break or missed tackle.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:25 am

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:The question is would you have been happy with 4 points from these 2 games before they were played and its a yes from me

Whilst I agree that 4 points and 1-1 over the two games, I think we can/should be more ambitious. They are not that much better than us nowadays, imo.

A lot will depend on how they replace Russell next season - compared to how Hickey does for us. There's still Bennett, Graham and Barclay (maybe Hardie) to throw into the mix as well as our props so a bit of upside to come.

Rennie will have to earn his corn over the next 12 months - it's a very difficult job trying to improve on what Gregor did.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Watson was reffed out of the game. Three turnovers made cleanly but each time penalised, a bit rough on him as I thought each was well made. Otherwise ref was ok for both sides, no problem from me.

Weegies played better rugby and their backs make more yards with ball in hand. Dunbar and Grigg made excellent yards off first and second phase ball and get over the gain line. We tend to crab sideways without committing a defender, guys need to straighten running line and draw defenders. VdW our 10 was lying too deep at times. He has an excellent pass off both hands and if he only sat closer to gain line then we might have made more yards. We also tend to have support runners running too flat and as a result the off loads tended to go behind support. Jones got it exactly right with his try coming from deep position and hitting the ball and gain line at pace.

Our scrum and line out struggled a bit but that was to be expected with our 4th or 5th choice props on the pitch. Otherwise we did well up front. However I thought Matt Fagerson and Smith were excellent for the Weegies and as a result we didnt dominate the breakdown as much as I had hoped. Fagerson Jnr is going to be some player.

To put the two games into context we are the first team to deny the Weegies a TBP win in Pro14, in both games. They looked poor because we made them look poor. Our defensive and aggression was excellent throughout both 80 mins. Our backs just need some better alignment and to straighten up their running lines. Lets not forget that VdW only joined us a matter of weeks ago and only arrived in Scotland a month ago. He was up against arguably one of the best 10s in Northern hemisphere at the moment. The main disappointment was our penalty count, it made the difference, our discipline needs to get better!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14 pm

doedin wrote:Watson was reffed out of the game. Three turnovers made cleanly but each time penalised, a bit rough on him as I thought each was well made. Otherwise ref was ok for both sides, no problem from me.

Weegies played better rugby and their backs make more yards with ball in hand. Dunbar and Grigg made excellent yards off first and second phase ball and get over the gain line. We tend to crab sideways without committing a defender, guys need to straighten running line and draw defenders. VdW our 10 was lying too deep at times. He has an excellent pass off both hands and if he only sat closer to gain line then we might have made more yards. We also tend to have support runners running too flat and as a result the off loads tended to go behind support. Jones got it exactly right with his try coming from deep position and hitting the ball and gain line at pace.

Our scrum and line out struggled a bit but that was to be expected with our 4th or 5th choice props on the pitch. Otherwise we did well up front. However I thought Matt Fagerson and Smith were excellent for the Weegies and as a result we didnt dominate the breakdown as much as I had hoped. Fagerson Jnr is going to be some player.

To put the two games into context we are the first team to deny the Weegies a TBP win in Pro14, in both games. They looked poor because we made them look poor. Our defensive and aggression was excellent throughout both 80 mins. Our backs just need some better alignment and to straighten up their running lines. Lets not forget that VdW only joined us a matter of weeks ago and only arrived in Scotland a month ago. He was up against arguably one of the best 10s in Northern hemisphere at the moment. The main disappointment was our penalty count, it made the difference, our discipline needs to get better!

All fair comment
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:48 pm

macdone wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:The question is would you have been happy with 4 points from these 2 games before they were played and its a yes from me

Whilst I agree that 4 points and 1-1 over the two games, I think we can/should be more ambitious. They are not that much better than us nowadays, imo.

A lot will depend on how they replace Russell next season - compared to how Hickey does for us. There's still Bennett, Graham and Barclay (maybe Hardie) to throw into the mix as well as our props so a bit of upside to come.

Rennie will have to earn his corn over the next 12 months - it's a very difficult job trying to improve on what Gregor did.

It would surprise me if they bring in a 10 to replace Russell but Rennie doesn't seem to rate Hastings so... I think Rennie needs to address the back row - Matt Fagerson will be a beast but he's not the carrier they need right now. Neither is Vunisa, Wilson or Harley. They also need their props to shape up and get their second rows back to really kick in from where Toonie left them but without a world class 10 I don't know if they will.

In my opinion next year or the year after we can become the better Pro side in Scotland. Our key players have been signed up mostly and they're young and improving every week. It is exciting times for Edinburgh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:19 pm

Almost uniquely I must confess to quite enjoying the match! Several times we were a pass away from tries but either poor passing or ,particularly, where Kinghorn made two terrific breaks which would almost certainly have lead to tries and was only stopped on both occasions by superb defence from Matawalu (of all people).
Yes there were some poor passes into touch -but also credit should be given for some excellent defence by both sides.
Lets hope Marfo is back next week and Sutherland soon after that-and that McCallum's substitution early in the second half (?) was not injury related.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm

They don’t tell the whole story of course but the match stats make for interesting reading

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=270557
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum