1872 Second Leg

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 Second Leg

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Wonder if we'll see a lot of changes for the game this weekend. Cockers has been good at rotating the squad to keep the players fresh and give everyone an opportunity. And as has been commented on before, there's not a lot between many of the players in our squad. After the effort put in last Saturday, some of the players who took part in the first game are going to be a bit tired still, and it might make sense to bring in a lot of fresh legs for this game.

For example, he could play Cochrane at hooker, Bresler and Mackenzie in the second row, and a back row of Ritchie, Watson and Bradbury. Ok, his options at prop are limited, so rotation possibilities are a bit thin in that position, but that wouldn't be a bad basis for a forward pack. There are options in the backs too, and he could opt to bring in the likes of Fowles, Kennedy, Rasolea, Dean, and Hoyland without it seriously weakening our side. Although it could be argued we'd be reducing the talent level in our team, this would be off-set by having the fresher legs. It'll be interesting to see what approach Cockers takes to selection for this one.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Mike Adamson appointed ref for this game. Former Warriors player but I seem to recall had a good game at Scotstoun in May of this year (you know, the last time but one that we pumped the Weeg!)
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:58 pm

I thought last year he was the difference between us retaining the cup and, as it turned out, not. Not a fan of having a referee is with attachments to one of the teams on the field, it places him in an impossible situation.
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Sonicboom wrote:I thought last year he was the difference between us retaining the cup and, as it turned out, not. Not a fan of having a referee is with attachments to one of the teams on the field, it places him in an impossible situation.

Unfortunately a reflection on the state of reffing here. I suspect he'll get booed at some point
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Yonthing on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:28 pm

djsxv wrote:Does anyone know if there's any supporters buses organised for the match?

Thomas Cook Sport are doing a package.
https://www.thomascooksport.com/Rugby/Edinburgh-Rugby
Yonthing
International

Postby Wottie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:44 am

It's certainly not looking like getting any warmer any time soon. Anyone know how well this synthetic pitch at Scotstoun gets on in icy conditions? As an aside, if there is an issue with the pitch, does anyone know of a neutral stadium that has undersoil heating and good facilities, within say 50 miles, that the SRU could move the game to if the condition of the pitch is in any doubt? Have to say I'm struggling!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 am

Wottie wrote:It's certainly not looking like getting any warmer any time soon. Anyone know how well this synthetic pitch at Scotstoun gets on in icy conditions? As an aside, if there is an issue with the pitch, does anyone know of a neutral stadium that has undersoil heating and good facilities, within say 50 miles, that the SRU could move the game to if the condition of the pitch is in any doubt? Have to say I'm struggling!

Boooooooooo
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby djsxv on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:17 am

Yonthing wrote:
djsxv wrote:Does anyone know if there's any supporters buses organised for the match?

Thomas Cook Sport are doing a package.
https://www.thomascooksport.com/Rugby/Edinburgh-Rugby

Thanks, I saw that, but I really just need the transport, looks like you have to buy a ticket etc which I don't need.
djsxv
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Wottie wrote:It's certainly not looking like getting any warmer any time soon. Anyone know how well this synthetic pitch at Scotstoun gets on in icy conditions? As an aside, if there is an issue with the pitch, does anyone know of a neutral stadium that has undersoil heating and good facilities, within say 50 miles, that the SRU could move the game to if the condition of the pitch is in any doubt? Have to say I'm struggling!

It really would be terrible if anyone was to go and suggest that on the Glasgow forum. Would certainly be. Meltdown one way or another!

Hamilton cancelled a game in 3G yesterday, they are not totally weatherproof but you can salt them
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:35 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:

It really would be terrible if anyone was to go and suggest that on the Glasgow forum. Would certainly be. Meltdown one way or another!

Hamilton cancelled a game in 3G yesterday, they are not totally weatherproof but you can salt them

They could salt the chips on some shoulders whilst they’re at it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
biffer wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Apparently Bergs will be up before the beak on Thursday.

He's has two yellow cards before, presumably for scrummaging offences, and the one red at the weekend there.

Cian Healy got three weeks, taking into account a poor diciplinary record, so I guess we have to wait and see what happens to Berghan.

Start at 12 weeks and work from there.

http://www.ccrugby.org/Regulation-17-Sa ... 17-pdf.pdf

So, six weeks probably.

What a twit.

The entry point is 12+ and objectively i think the initial ban should be longer, being kind it was very poor by him. Then reduced due to good behaviour.

I think I read Brown has taken one for the collective SRU controlled squads and written a letter/spoke out supporting him so that will help
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:

Your wish is my command
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:56 pm

biffer wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:

Your wish is my command

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one, I may have to give that an hour or two to fester before having a look over there on the dark side with my afternoon coffee. Bound to be a welcome distraction for those calling for Rennie's head! :roll:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 pm

So far not too many bites at the suggestion. :(
Pitfitter

Postby Wottie on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 am

Pitfitter wrote:So far not too many bites at the suggestion. :(

Yeah, think they might have seen Biffer coming :lol: it’s a serious point however. Not in anyone’s interest to either have a game postponed, with only the international window to reschedule, or to risk injury on an icy pitch with so many Scottish Internationals involved. A move is much less of an issue now with BT Murrayfield now a neutral stadium, and got to be a bonus getting the Weeg fans out of Weeg while the Old Firm support knock seven bells out of each other throughout the city.
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum