Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

Postby gowrie on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Then why was Matthews picked ahead of him to go to SA? Definitely not a sure thing at all that Cockerill goes with the academy player, just look at how many emergency props we've signed.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 pm

I was over perusing the Ulster Forum, for amusement after their weekend and news about the Donald, and noticed that they seem to have woken up to the fact that we are rivals for third place. I think a few have dismissed it as a ridiculous notion though, so we may be in the clear.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:09 pm

gunneria wrote:I was over perusing the Ulster Forum, for amusement after their weekend and news about the Donald, and noticed that they seem to have woken up to the fact that we are rivals for third place. I think a few have dismissed it as a ridiculous notion though, so we may be in the clear.

They'll have an advantage during the 6Ns though.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:51 am

We'll be much more impacted by the 6 nations this year than we usually are, which is a good thing as it proves we are improving.

Both Suzzy and Lay should be able to do the job at lossehead.
We'll hope Cochrane will come back regularly to start, as well as McCallum to play for us at 3. It could be problematic but it was always going to be with our injury toll.

In the the second-row, we should not see Gilcho and Toolis back, but I have enough faith in McKenzie, Carmichael or Hunter-Hill. I'm not really worried.

In the back-row, I can easily see one of Du Preez and Bradbury back, and even both. But even without them a back-row of Crosbie - Mata - Ritchie is quite interesting. We could see the first appearances of Miller, or even of an academy guy, Tom Gordon. I'm not really worried.

At 9, our main starter is still here. Kennedy too as well as Shiel. I'm not worried.

At 13, it's a shame to lose Bennett but Johnston can do the job. I'm not worried.

For the full-back, it's a different story. Kinghorn is an abslutly key man. I think I've read Cockers said he was our best performer so far in the season. If he's not back, who can replace him ? Graham is injured and anyway has only played very few games. Maybe Van Der Walt if one of Weir or Tovey is back. Also a problematic spot.

So in fact, our real problems (IMO) with the 6 nations squad are Kinghorn and the front-row's absences. We can cope with the test though it could weaken us slightly.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Compare that to Ulster's position though. Only four players in the Ireland squad, two hookers, a lock and a centre. Best, Henderson and Stockdale are losses sure enough, but it gives them a lot more continuity. Although quite how you establish any continuity without someone to play 10 is obviously a question. Granted, it also represents how poorly they've been playing this season.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:47 pm

You're right. They will have more continuity than us.
We'll have to do for sure without four starters (and them without three) : McInally, Toolis, Gilchrist, Watson. Hopefully, McCallum, Cochrane and Kinghorn will be available for us.
But we'll have to deal with this situation.

Ulster are now out of Europe, they know we are chasing them and they will probably feel that if they beat us, the third place will be theirs. So there won't be any lack of motivation.

It will be a real summit of our season so far, and we'll have to face it with Carmichael, Crosbie, Fenton, Hunter-Hill, etc... They weren't able to grab a win in Paris : will they be able to get a win at Ravenhill ? Mind a bonus point for us and none for them could be good enough.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 pm

germain wrote:You're right. They will have more continuity than us.
We'll have to do for sure without four starters (and them without three) : McInally, Toolis, Gilchrist, Watson. Hopefully, McCallum, Cochrane and Kinghorn will be available for us.
But we'll have to deal with this situation.

Ulster are now out of Europe, they know we are chasing them and they will probably feel that if they beat us, the third place will be theirs. So there won't be any lack of motivation.

It will be a real summit of our season so far, and we'll have to face it with Carmichael, Crosbie, Fenton, Hunter-Hill, etc... They weren't able to grab a win in Paris : will they be able to get a win at Ravenhill ? Mind a bonus point for us and none for them could be good enough.

Don't see McCallum or Cochrane being available. On match day at international level you need three guys available in each front row position and they're part of those numbers.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:33 pm

joe soap wrote:of course Renwick is ahead of amateur premiership players, he is training full time with Edinburgh, the aren't and aren't necessarily available to train or travel. But Bryce would be a good call as long as don't then run short of props again!

Are all stage 3 players guaranteed to train with the pro side? Or do the coaches pick the ones they want to train?

Surely if Edinburgh want a stage 3 kid in the side the prem team can't say no we'll have him. Renwick was playing for Hawick when Edinburgh was in SA. Don't know how else to see it other than Cockers prefers Matthews....
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 pm

Really frustrating that the Ulster and Scarlets games have still not been scheduled in April by the Pro14. It's nearly end January and these are around the Easter Holidays. Would be nice to know when they are so people can fit round them if possible. :evil:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Are all stage 3 players guaranteed to train with the pro side? Or do the coaches pick the ones they want to train?

Surely if Edinburgh want a stage 3 kid in the side the prem team can't say no we'll have him. Renwick was playing for Hawick when Edinburgh was in SA. Don't know how else to see it other than Cockers prefers Matthews....

yes, all stage 3 academy players are allocated to one of the pro teams and train full time with them.

Yes, if Edinburgh wanted the academy player they would have first dibs (but there may also be agreements in place as to who will be released and when which would be honoured if possible).

don't conflate travelled with the team to being preferred ; it could be that an agreement had been in place for Renwick to play for Hawick that week; could also be the case that reports of Mathews form had reached the coaches and they wanted to have a look at him in a pro environment; perhaps the 2 coincided. Mathews of course didn't get into the squad for either game and was never likely to; nor was Renwick if he had travelled so perhaps it was felt as a youngster he would benefit more from playing for Hawick. Had Mathews een needed, playing the worst team ever in pro 12 or pro 14 rugby is a place safe test a club player
There are sometimes other personal reasons why players don't travel.

So could Mathews be preferred ? Its possible but I think the "having a look scenario" is most probably the explanation. We'll see soon enough who is preferred and my money is on Rewick
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 pm

biffer wrote:Don't see McCallum or Cochrane being available. On match day at international level you need three guys available in each front row position and they're part of those numbers.

isn't the Ulster game on the free 6N weekend? In which case Edin would get back players not involved the previous week for Scotland, so every chance (barring more injuries) that Cochrane at least would be available. McCallum possibly but only if he had been limited to 20mins or so
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 pm

biffer wrote:Don't see McCallum or Cochrane being available. On match day at international level you need three guys available in each front row position and they're part of those numbers.

If so, hooker will be a real test.
At least, at tighthead, we have Millar-Mills and Shields who are training with the squad for at least one month.
But for the hooker, who with Fenton ?
Graham already had a pro experience and was good with -20. I don't know Matthews. Fergus Scott is back from injury too. Renwick ? Kerr ? It's interesting.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby 02ict328 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 pm

Les Kiss has stepped down/ been fired. Don't know how this will affect them, they could lose the plot or start playing well to impress the new boss?!
02ict328
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 pm

Jonno Gibbs taking over, hopefully he was part of the problem too!

Its sad to say but the court case being very public could have an effect too. Its only the opening parts but it doesn't sound good. In particular the point being made of Ulster looking after their players.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:24 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Jonno Gibbs taking over, hopefully he was part of the problem too!

Its sad to say but the court case being very public could have an effect too. Its only the opening parts but it doesn't sound good. In particular the point being made of Ulster looking after their players.

I hope the law is followed.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum