Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

Postby biffer on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:So, are we all cheering Ulster on against La Rochelle this weekend? A Champs Cup QF distraction for them during the run in would be a very useful distraction. Otherwise we’ll be playing more games than them in all probability.

Yes, and also going to be cheering on the Scarlets, Blues and Orspreys against them, which is just wrong isn't it :wink:

Yeah, I hate wanting the Welsh to win anything.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm

things are look better than last week, but not unexpectedly so given who Edin and Ulster were playing at the weekend.
Bottom line is the same - Edinburgh's fate is in Edinburgh's hands, have to play Ulster twice. No one could ask for more than controlling their own destiny as clearly.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm

biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:So, are we all cheering Ulster on against La Rochelle this weekend? A Champs Cup QF distraction for them during the run in would be a very useful distraction. Otherwise we’ll be playing more games than them in all probability.

Yes, and also going to be cheering on the Scarlets, Blues and Orspreys against them, which is just wrong isn't it :wink:

Wooden spoon? :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Wooden spoon? :)

ok, maybe that...
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Ulster have signed Stephen Donald, expected to be with them in the next few weeks. They need a ten but he’s knocking on a bit.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 am

biffer wrote:Ulster have signed Stephen Donald, expected to be with them in the next few weeks. They need a ten but he’s knocking on a bit.

This is all a bit MEH, particularly after the Giteau an£ Cooper rumours. Will be on a decent wedge as well! Got to think they would have been better keeping Pienaar as a 10, than signing Donald. Although presumably had they known what lay ahead for Jackson they would have. We have such a chance to take points off them and grab that 3rd spot.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 am

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:Ulster have signed Stephen Donald, expected to be with them in the next few weeks. They need a ten but he’s knocking on a bit.

This is all a bit MEH, particularly after the Giteau an£ Cooper rumours. Will be on a decent wedge as well! Got to think they would have been better keeping Pienaar as a 10, than signing Donald. Although presumably had they known what lay ahead for Jackson they would have. We have such a chance to take points off them and grab that 3rd spot.

keeping Peinaar was never an option open to Ulster. Shifting him on was an IRFU decision, Ulster absolutely wanted him to stay and Peinaar was very keen to stay, money never an issue.

Donald looked poor and unfit for Bath, suspect the full Irish will be popular with him!
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:01 am

joe soap wrote:keeping Peinaar was never an option open to Ulster. Shifting him on was an IRFU decision, Ulster absolutely wanted him to stay and Peinaar was very keen to stay, money never an issue.

Donald looked poor and unfit for Bath, suspect the full Irish will be popular with him!

Think the IRFU would have been very keen to keep him at Ulster had they known what was coming off the field.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Frenchy wrote:
joe soap wrote:keeping Peinaar was never an option open to Ulster. Shifting him on was an IRFU decision, Ulster absolutely wanted him to stay and Peinaar was very keen to stay, money never an issue.

Think the IRFU would have been very keen to keep him at Ulster had they known what was coming off the field.

And if my auntie had baws..................Ulster were told during 2015-6 that Pienaar wouldn't be renewed when his deal ran out in mid 2017. They were only ever a Jackson injury away from the current situation even before the court case. He was never staying
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I believe they didn't want a NIQ player filling a pivotal role which is somewhat ironic.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Stephen Donald has picked up an injury and won't be joining Ulster.

So they're going to be a bit gubbed for a fly half for the rest of the season.

However, there are very few Ulster players in the Ireland squad (only 4), so they'll still be strong during the 6Ns.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Cochrane has been called up in place of Turner for the 6N as well, assume he may get released back if not required although I think 3 hookers often travel for away 6N matches, leaves us with Fenton maybe K Bryce or academy covering?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Cochrane has been called up in place of Turner for the 6N as well, assume he may get released back if not required although I think 3 hookers often travel for away 6N matches, leaves us with Fenton maybe K Bryce or academy covering?

Fraser Renwick is next cab off the rank from the Academy. Too old for the u20s this season but he played 379 minutes out of 400 in the WR u20s Championship back last summer. He's a dynamic carrier and solid defender. Part of a strong scrum and with his throwing in Scotland had a 91% success rate at the lineout. Wee bit of experience in and around the matchday squad over the next couple of months could be ideal to keep him developing as your long-term competition for McInally at hooker.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Johnny Matthews at Boroughmuir travelled with the squad when they went to SA, and Ross Graham has apparently been in great form since coming back to Watsonians, not sure Renwick would necessarily be ahead of them for games.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 am

of course Renwick is ahead of amateur premiership players, he is training full time with Edinburgh, the aren't and aren't necessarily available to train or travel. But Bryce would be a good call as long as don't then run short of props again!
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum