Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Restricting them to a win without BP would be a huge achievement for them, so not holding gout much hope, never know though.

We just need to win next week, but it wont be easy. Whats the thoughts on just going all out and aiming for a 4try BP and not worry too much about winning? Might be the most simple way to get it done?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:27 pm

We will have the benefit of knowing the lie of the land before KO as the Ulster and Scarlets games will both have concluded. It's a nothing game for Munster, they cannot be caught in 2nd and cannot catch Glasgow but anything short of a 5 pointer for Ulster and we are in Playoffs (unless we ship mega points v Glasgow) and can just play for the win and 1872 Cup without the pressure of automatic playoff qualification to concern ourselves with. In terms of getting above Scarlets, realistically they would have to lose to Dragons for us to overhaul them given they are a point ahead of us with with +24 points diff. That final try conceded to Ulster by us could prove the difference if Scarlets only picked up a 4.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Wottie wrote:We will have the benefit of knowing the lie of the land before KO as the Ulster and Scarlets games will both have concluded. It's a nothing game for Munster, they cannot be caught in 2nd and cannot catch Glasgow but anything short of a 5 pointer for Ulster and we are in Playoffs (unless we ship mega points v Glasgow) and can just play for the win and 1872 Cup without the pressure of automatic playoff qualification to concern ourselves with. In terms of getting above Scarlets, realistically they would have to lose to Dragons for us to overhaul them given they are a point ahead of us with with +24 points diff. That final try conceded to Ulster by us could prove the difference if Scarlets only picked up a 4.

Scarlets have won a game less so if they got 4 and we got 5 pd is irrelevant. Derby matches are funny things
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby djsxv on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Does anyone know how the 7th team from the Pro14 is determined for the Champions Cup if the Cheetahs remain in 4th place in Conference A? Does the 4th Team in Conf B get a bye, or pay the 5th team on Conf A?
djsxv
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:37 pm

djsxv wrote:Does anyone know how the 7th team from the Pro14 is determined for the Champions Cup if the Cheetahs remain in 4th place in Conference A? Does the 4th Team in Conf B get a bye, or pay the 5th team on Conf A?

4th in B plays 5th in A for the 7th CC spot.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:30 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:. Whats the thoughts on just going all out and aiming for a 4try BP and not worry too much about winning? Might be the most simple way to get it done?

I think that would be monumentally daft.
Edin need a point to ensure the play offs that is the only priority. The easiest way to get that is a with , pure and simple. Build a game get a lead, screw the pressure up. If the BP happens, all well and good.
The very very last thing to do is to "go for it". Wedgies have been SteveWalsh but a fast and furious open game suits them. Tell the players to go for it from the start and I fear that's what you'd get.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:38 pm

New Gunner wrote:
It is possible to be both aware that we are responsible for where we are and what we need to do, and to feel immense frustration that our western brothers could have done us a favour and blew it. I don't need to get a grip, thanks.

Mr IPA is talking a lot of sense here. What the Weegies do or don't do is no more relevant than what anyone else does to do us a favour. In other words it's not on the radar.
Only one team control Edinburgh 's fate.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:47 pm

joe soap wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:. Whats the thoughts on just going all out and aiming for a 4try BP and not worry too much about winning? Might be the most simple way to get it done?

I think that would be monumentally daft.
Edin need a point to ensure the play offs that is the only priority. The easiest way to get that is a with , pure and simple. Build a game get a lead, screw the pressure up. If the BP happens, all well and good.
The very very last thing to do is to "go for it". Wedgies have been SteveWalsh but a fast and furious open game suits them. Tell the players to go for it from the start and I fear that's what you'd get.

That's the point I'm making, Glasgow defence is ropey but their attack is very good, so just allow a loose game, get 4 tries and then we dont have to worry about winning. if we play too stodgy a gameplan and build a lead through kicks we could come away with nothing. Glasgow are capable of building a big score. I don't think we will do it but % wise its not a bad choice.

Its just a thought that it might not be the worst way to go,
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:54 am

GaryIPA wrote:Scarlets have won a game less so if they got 4 and we got 5 pd is irrelevant. Derby matches are funny things

Ta. Hadn't realised that wins ranked above points differential in deciding placings. Probably makes the Scarlets v Dragons game worth streaming during the Men's Cup final on Saturday.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum