Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:14 pm

I just said what I think makes most sense from a Glasgow and an SRU perspective, I wasn't talking about an Edinburgh or even my own perspective. In what way does that make me a "zoomer"? You may not agree with me, but no need for personal insults.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 am

The Ulster message board is fun reading. Combination of howling at the moon about Jackson and Olding, plus conspiracies around Leinster letting Treviso win as an anti protestant thing, and boycotts, ripping up season tickets and burning Ireland shirts. It's lovely stuff. Oh and one mullet suggesting Ulster should try to join the SRU.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:05 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:I just said what I think makes most sense from a Glasgow and an SRU perspective, I wasn't talking about an Edinburgh or even my own perspective. In what way does that make me a "zoomer"? You may not agree with me, but no need for personal insults.

The list of why this isn’t a good idea is lengthy
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:24 am

biffer wrote:The Ulster message board is fun reading. Combination of howling at the moon about Jackson and Olding, plus conspiracies around Leinster letting Treviso win as an anti protestant thing, and boycotts, ripping up season tickets and burning Ireland shirts. It's lovely stuff. Oh and one mullet suggesting Ulster should try to join the SRU.

Some quality stuff
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:I just said what I think makes most sense from a Glasgow and an SRU perspective, I wasn't talking about an Edinburgh or even my own perspective. In what way does that make me a "zoomer"? You may not agree with me, but no need for personal insults.

The list of why this isn’t a good idea is lengthy

So lengthy that you don't want to share it? Or would only clever people understand?
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:22 am

biffer wrote:The Ulster message board is fun reading. Combination of howling at the moon about Jackson and Olding, plus conspiracies around Leinster letting Treviso win as an anti protestant thing, and boycotts, ripping up season tickets and burning Ireland shirts. It's lovely stuff. Oh and one mullet suggesting Ulster should try to join the SRU.

I'd quite enjoy it if Treviso manage to finish above Ulster.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:45 am

We have a free weekend next weekend and can still make 2nd (even if unlikely). Munster away is harder than cheetahs at home so if prefer sticking the 1s out v Glasgow where sensible if already in play offs. If Ulster take 5pts from Glasgow then it goes without saying that the 1st get played.

Other than those carrying injuries I see no need for a two week break before the playoffs.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 am

To pick up a point made elsewhere, regardless of what happens now Edinburgh have a very good season compared to what has gone before.

As of now, only Glasgow have more league wins, only Leinster have as many (to be fair they have a draw as well) and everyone else has fewer. The worst that can happen is Edinburgh end up with fewer wins than Glasgow and Leinster, and the same as Scarlets and Munster. That would have been fantasy land a year ago.

I was hugely disappointed at the results against Cardiff and Ulster, and remain so. But even if we do make the playoffs, the context is a decent step forward since last season.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:32 pm

A blip was always coming, we had been winning without playing that well, which is commendable but it couldn't go on. It may act as a wake up for the team.

I separate out the Blues game where we just didn't turn up, Ulster we didn't play that well and they were very clinical, so from a performance point of view it was much improved.

My worry was with the run in we had we could end the season losing 4 in a row. We have been slightly fortunate in that we have played some big teams during the 6n and the Ulster, Scarlets and Glasgow games are at the end, which were alwas going to be 3 of the harder games.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 pm

All things considered though, definite progress from Edinburgh.

Last season, 9th out of 12. Just 6 wins, 46 tries and a sole TBP. We were in the bottom third of the league and Cockers saying harsh words to that effect at the outset - if he was honest, he probably thought he'd inherited a bottom-4 team - was absolutely correct and needed saying.

This season, the worst we can finish is 6th out of 14, and more likely we'll be 5th unless Ulster conjure up two amazing 5-point wins over Glasgow and Munster. 14 wins, 99 tries (!) and 7 TBPs.

That is a pretty remarkable turnaround!
royc
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

Only team in the league who we haven't beaten is Cheetahs!
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 pm

gunneria wrote:Only team in the league who we haven't beaten is Cheetahs!

Only played them once away too
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Glasgow have picked a strong team to play Ulster tomorrow, only Gray, Wilson and DTH/Sarto would probably start in front of those picked.

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/18/ ... ie-rotates

Mon the Weedge
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Surprised to see Hogg starting but possibly lack of options.

Other than that Rennie doesn't have much choice, if they are to compete later on he needs Most of those backs to play their way back to form. In the forward they don't have huge depth to play with.

Would point to a few getting a rest next week once the likes of Jackson and Jones come back.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Hopefully with a team like that the Warriors could kick NigelOwens in Belfast,heres hoping, get stuck in Glasgow.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum