Edinburgh v Kings 05 Jan 18, 1935 Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Kings 05 Jan 18, 1935 Myreside

Postby joe soap on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 pm

BigD163 wrote:
joe soap wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:Darcy Graham full back for Hawick v Heriots this weekend

should be in the Edin squad today rather than last week, very strange to me that he isn't.

Potentially wanting to get more time at 15 under his belt so he can be the Kinghorn replacement when Kinghorn is rested?

possibly, and I'd personally like to see him at 15, but there is some odd contradictory stuff from Cockers. He is saying today in the press that Bennett has been fit for a fortnight but wasn't played against Glasgow because of the quality of the opposition and expected intensity of the games.
Yet Graham was benched last week and drops out of the squad this week while Bennett starts.
Makes me wonder if he (Cockerill) has a real fear that Bennett will break down and isn't having 2 "risks" in his backs
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:05 pm

With both Bennett and Graham coming back from pretty bad injuries it is maybe prudent not to have them both in the same match day squad. We also don’t have much (any) update in terms of other injuries, presumably Van De Walt is still our only fit 10 with Burleigh and Kinghorn backing up, so maybe an element of trying to balance cover across the backline with Fife able to move and cover 13/15 if required and Dean 12/13 .

Will be interesting to see what teams we put out v SF the next two weeks, I am guessing the first game will be a pretty strong team and if we get the result we need the second match may be the chance to bring in one or two of the players that have been around the fringes so far.

Could our prop injuries have meant less opportunities, particularly for the young 2nd rows (Carmichael and CHH), as we have needed to compensate for a weaker front row? Of the other young players Miller in the back row is probably more unlucky that it so competitive for a space at present and I think in the backs Galbraith (and McClelland who only signed mid-season and is on the bench for Hawick this week) is the only full time youngster not to make an appearance yet?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:09 pm

There has been talk on th Weedgie forum that Bennett missed last week due to fears over the artificial pitch being hard on recovering knees. I think I posted on here about Nowell being rested for a game at Saracens for the same reason.

If Bennett was left out for that reason, it would be sensible for Graham to give it a miss too.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Tichtheid wrote:There has been talk on th Weedgie forum that Bennett missed last week due to fears over the artificial pitch being hard on recovering knees. I think I posted on here about Nowell being rested for a game at Saracens for the same reason.

If Bennett was left out for that reason, it would be sensible for Graham to give it a miss too.

but Cockerill is saying Bennett was left out because of the expect intensity of the games - I kinda think if he had an issue with the pitch he would have lobbed a grenade or two as is his style.
BTW Baxter is a good coach within a limited game but he is a bit of a dinosaur on pitches and some other things, he should stick to coaching
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:53 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:There has been talk on th Weedgie forum that Bennett missed last week due to fears over the artificial pitch being hard on recovering knees. I think I posted on here about Nowell being rested for a game at Saracens for the same reason.

but Cockerill is saying Bennett was left out because of the expect intensity of the games - I kinda think if he had an issue with the pitch he would have lobbed a grenade or two as is his style.
BTW Baxter is a good coach within a limited game but he is a bit of a dinosaur on pitches and some other things, he should stick to coaching

Not going to chuck grenades if the rumours of us going plastic have any truth in them....
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:55 pm

The Offside Line continues to knock The Scotsman into a cocked hat with its coverage of Edinburgh, and Scottish rugby in general.

https://theoffsideline.com/debutant-ben ... cockerill/
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Tichtheid wrote:The Offside Line continues to knock The Scotsman into a cocked hat with its coverage of Edinburgh, and Scottish rugby in general.

https://theoffsideline.com/debutant-ben ... cockerill/

That is quite a low bar these days, sadly.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 pm

5 points.

A few good performances, our front row, in fact the pack. Actually no one played badly, there were a couple of howler passes, but job done.

We really need to look after the ball on the floor better than we are doing.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 pm

The Kings and the weather were atrocious in equal measure but you can only beat what's in front of you and all that.

Some very strong running from Kinghorn, van der Merwe, Dean and Bennett, but just let down by shonky passing at times. Still, a pleasing result in terrible conditions. And, amazingly it looks like we actually managed to go 80 minutes without a prop getting injured - who knew that was possible.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:05 am

I expected a horrid game due to the conditions (constant rain pre match followed by a bloody hailstorm midway through) but I actually thought we played some ambitious rugby which didn't always work but showed good intent. Our backline in particular appeared to have more threat than it has had for a while. If we can be more clinical in some of our decision making and final passes we are going to win a lot more than we lose.
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am

Other than turnovers, the stats are awesome

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=270557
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:19 am

GaryIPA wrote:Other than turnovers, the stats are awesome

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=270557

If it hadn't been such a filthy night, it would have been a real thumping on the score board.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:13 am

Any game where you get to see your second row flick the ball round one side of a defender and run round the other to score is worth watching! Watching it back it is fairly clear it was intended too. Great piece of skill!
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:19 am

Cockerill on Bennett.

[quote]"It was good to get Mark Bennett out on the field. Apart from the two or three balls he dropped, he did a good job! No excuses, he's an international centre.. /[quote]

Don't think he was joking either :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Awful weather and an awful first 15 mins where we gave away penalty after penalty. Lucky not to concede points but Kings were just so inept they couldn't get across the line then missed easy penalty. Thereafter we played solidly. Scrum held up better than I expected, Watson ran riot and Bennet brings so much to the back line it will be fantastic when he is fully back to match fitness. He runs direct line, beats first man and runs support lines for ball carrier. He and Burleigh will make an interesting pairing. Kinghorn had his usual brilliance interspersed by the odd stupid decision. Solid display from the rest with special mention to Toollis for ball carrying and all round athleticism. All in all job done. We are making progress.
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum