Edinburgh v Kings 05 Jan 18, 1935 Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Kings 05 Jan 18, 1935 Myreside

Postby royc on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 pm

New Gunner wrote:One of the strange things about Kinghorn is that he is deceptively quick and his running style is almost 'under the radar'.

Hogg's style is all explosive, high-energy steps and bursts of acceelration which he can then maintain in a sprint. It's thrilling to watch.

Kinghorn doesn't look like he accelerates that quickly, but he outpaces the opposition and kind of lopes across the ground with a huge gait. Also, he sort of ghosts past defenders and glides though spaces.

I suspect an opponent done by Hogg knocks exactly how he was tricked / run past - with Kinghorn I get the feeling they're scratching their heads, wondering what the hell just happened.

Great to have these contrasting styles available, and I agree the time is coming where Kinghorn is likely to be tried on the wing with Hogg at 15, and first choice. I'd pay money to watch that.

EDIT: great minds think alike, Disco 8)

Agree NG, it's very difficult to compare Hogg and Kinghorn, they are very different types of player. Hogg is comparatively small at this level, 5'11 (if that) and 13 stone, but that facilitates his fantastic acceleration and from day one he has augmented that with great instinctive running lines, makes him a smashing attacking player. Kinghorn is a big lad, 6'4", 15 stone, but he picks up speed rapidly and has a very good step and eye for a gap and pretty good hands too. The former reminds of a whizzy Toonie or Alan Tait, the latter a big Gav Hastings with a better step. Both have a very good boot on them as well. But still two very different styles of player.

Kinghorn is coming on very well this season and I think JS is right, get him in the 6N squad, he would learn a lot training with Maitland, Jackson, Tommy S etc under GT's experienced eye. Far too soon for an international cap IMO, being eased in on a summer tour would be spot-on while he develops his defensive positioning etc.

However, while we may have our best set of international back threes for many a season, as we know, a couple of injuries or cards in any position and we are really struggling for depth. Kinghorn may have to step up sooner than perhaps ideal, so the sooner he gets the call-up to the national squad and gets in the groove, the better.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 am

robdinsdale wrote:Imagine having this kind of argument when Hugo Southwell was winning his 59 caps for Scotland.

Was there not a match where we picked Southwell in the same backline as Dan Parks, Graeme Morrison and Andy Henderson?
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Just to pick up on an earlier post-note Hoggy was 20 (not 21) when he first played for the Lions (though 21st birthday was during the tour).
PaulHoniss to think it will be six years next month since first capped in Cardiff (and ,if fit, this will be his seventh 6N-like Andy Murray enjoy him while he's around and fit! )
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 pm

macdone wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:Imagine having this kind of argument when Hugo Southwell was winning his 59 caps for Scotland.

Was there not a match where we picked Southwell in the same backline as Dan Parks, Graeme Morrison and Andy Henderson?

I've just been a little bit sick in my mouth.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm

biffer wrote:
macdone wrote:

One of those mini-chunders that it's perfectly OK to swallow? I wasn't quite so lucky :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:
macdone wrote:

One of those mini-chunders that it's perfectly OK to swallow? I wasn't quite so lucky :wink:

Yep, just a mini. Too hardened to failure for it to be full on floor pizza
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Shug had a good career gave us all hope
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 pm

New Gunner wrote:One of the strange things about Kinghorn is that he is deceptively quick and his running style is almost 'under the radar'.

Hogg's style is all explosive, high-energy steps and bursts of acceelration which he can then maintain in a sprint. It's thrilling to watch.

Kinghorn doesn't look like he accelerates that quickly, but he outpaces the opposition and kind of lopes across the ground with a huge gait. Also, he sort of ghosts past defenders and glides though spaces.

I suspect an opponent done by Hogg knocks exactly how he was tricked / run past - with Kinghorn I get the feeling they're scratching their heads, wondering what the hell just happened.

Great to have these contrasting styles available, and I agree the time is coming where Kinghorn is likely to be tried on the wing with Hogg at 15, and first choice. I'd pay money to watch that.

Kinghorn runs a good line
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

Kinghorn runs a good line

Yeah, and in particular he makes a good line by getting round a corner - the first two steps get him outside a man quickly and leave them scrambling to close the gap, by which time he's almost past them and they're scrambling. Nick Evans for Quins springs to mind.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Christine also runs great lines to get through a defence - a sign of Hodge's coaching, perhaps?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Christine also runs great lines to get through a defence - a sign of Hodge's coaching, perhaps?

We must be doing something right in training, we've scored some lovely tries this season.

We even play some good stuff off first phase ball, something we were incapable of doing in the Solomons era.

Hodge deserves some credit for that - and Cockerill seems to appreciate his work, he has praised him a few times.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Kinghorn runs a good line

he does. Altho very different running styles, he runs very similar lines to Hogg, and its the ability to hit the outside gap from full back that makes him such a natural full back. Very much like Hogg, including folk trying to shoehorn both into other positions.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 pm

joe soap wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Kinghorn runs a good line

he does. Altho very different running styles, he runs very similar lines to Hogg, and its the ability to hit the outside gap from full back that makes him such a natural full back. Very much like Hogg, including folk trying to shoehorn both into other positions.

To be fair, though, there is no outrage when the All Blacks put two of the best fullbacks in the world in the same side, with Ben Smith, probably the best, played on the wing along with Dagg in the 15 shirt.

A similar Hogg Kinghorn combo might be good for Scotland in the (near) future, I see a lot of merit in getting your best players on the pitch, even if you need to shuffle them a bit.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Spot on!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Not true at all.

Kinghorn has had a much better career than Hogg up until now he's not even 21 has 60 Edinburgh caps.

If it wasn't for Hogg Kinghorn would have a fair few Scotland caps whereas Hogg broke through at the time Scotland had as much flair' and excitement as a trip to the dentist! If Kinghorn was around in those dark days rather than Hogg he'd also be lining up at 15.

Kinghorn is a generational talent. He's not a generational player. Scotland have not had such outrageous talents like him and Hogg in a long time. Kinghorn has to work very hard to become as good as Hogg, of course.

Hogg was a Lions a few months or than Kinghorn is now. If there was a Lions tour this year, would Kinghorn be close? You are only kidding yourself if you think so. To say he has had a better career to date is a very very strange thing to say. How well stocked with good full backs were Edinburgh when Kinghorn broke through? How well stocked are they now for that matter?

If it weren't for Hogg, Kinghorn would have a fair few caps? Aye right,making up stuff now to suit your hype; that'll be why he was capped last summer when Hogg was with the Lions and in November after Hogg was injured, and why Tonks, Maitland and Jackson respectively have all been preferred to him so far.

He might become a generational talent, so far he is a prodigy with huge promise who has made no impact on the international stage or even the main european competition; generational talents are judged on those stages against similar talents

I forget what age Hogg made the Lions haha my bad - thought he was older at that point.

The Scotland landscape is different. Toonie doesn't need to gamble on a raw prospect but Robinson did. We had absolutely no spark but even the side on that your had a good backline. I maintain kinghorn would waltz into the backline Hogg did.

He still is a generational talent - when was the last time Edinburgh had as talented a back coming through? Not for a very long time.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum