ER v SF 12 Jan 18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: ER v SF 12 Jan 18

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:59 pm

The down side for me was how little imagination Edinburgh showed in the first half. SF were not committing to the rucks and just sread across the pitch and let Edinburgh run at them. They were coming up fast (sometimes too fast) to cut off the passes going wide. I don't think Edinburgh chipped the rush defence once, and only twice (SHC and Gilco) did they pick and go up the largely undefended middle of the ruck. SF had worked out how to stop Edinburgh playing, and Edinburgh appeared to have no clue how to counter the SF tactics.

As an aside, that SF team must have been one of the tallest I've ever seen.
Last edited by Weegie on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Weegie wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
Weegie wrote:
McCallum and Fagerson were in the same Strathallan front row. McCallum was switched to loosehead then. He is basically a tighthead. Ritchie was in the back row of the same team.

I take it Strathallan did quite well?

Until reminded by my son, I'd forgotten that Fenton was in the same front row.

They went out in the second round of the Schools Cup.

Having four guys in one pack who go on to professional rugby is a fantastic achievement for a school side, quite remarkable
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 pm

So based on some pretty uninformed guesswork about who might beat whom in the rest of round 5 and in round 6, and on who seems to be taking the competition more seriously (including, possibly treasonously, assuming that the ever mercurial Stade Francais won't want to lose to the likes of us at home, and we'll get a LBP only), I'm going to predict a possible quarter final line-up that looks like this:

Newcastle v Worcester
Connacht v Bordeaux
Edinburgh v Pau
Gloucester v Cardiff

If we do beat Stade, however, a game against Bordeaux or Worcester could beckon.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Wouldn't be the worst draw we could get, but would far rather Cardiff, Wuss or Connacht at the moment.

Newcastle would be interesting and decent support too. Gloucester seem the perennial team to avoid in this tournament and you just never know with the French teams, both could be handy if they turn their minds to it.

Nobody I would be overly scared of though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Wouldn't be the worst draw we could get, but would far rather Cardiff, Wuss or Connacht at the moment.

Newcastle would be interesting and decent support too. Gloucester seem the perennial team to avoid in this tournament and you just never know with the French teams, both could be handy if they turn their minds to it.

I’d rather not have Stade again.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:53 am

biffer wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Wouldn't be the worst draw we could get, but would far rather Cardiff, Wuss or Connacht at the moment.

I’d rather not have Stade again.

We definitely can't/won't get Newcastle, and getting Connacht or Stade is highly unlikely and would need a bonkers set of results in round 6.

Assuming that both Connacht and Newcastle win their last games (against Oyonnax and Enisei respectively, so highly likely) it boils down to our game, which:

i) If we win, means we will play a pool runner up (likely Worcester or Bordeaux, or less likely Dragons or Sale); or

ii) If we lose, means we will probably play Cardiff or Pau/Gloucester (whichever of them doesn't win in round 6).

Still think the tie we want to avoid is Pau/Gloucester, but otherwise okay with any of the other possibilities.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 am

I think there will be a lot of teams wanting to avoid us.

Good to grind out the win against a pretty good SF team, it was a good test against a powerful unit.

Will be interesting to see how SF treat next week given that they are reliant on other results now and how we go into the match with a home QF secure.

Good progress to date and still room for significant improvement particularly around some of our decision making which remains iffy/bizarre at times.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I think there will be a lot of teams wanting to avoid us.

Good to grind out the win against a pretty good SF team, it was a good test against a powerful unit.

Will be interesting to see how SF treat next week given that they are reliant on other results now and how we go into the match with a home QF secure.

Good progress to date and still room for significant improvement particularly around some of our decision making which remains iffy/bizarre at times.

If Bordeaux and Worcester win their games earlier on Saturday then by the time it comes to your match kicking off at 8pm Stade will already know they are out. Definitely don't see them putting in 100% if that's the case.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:52 pm

disco wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:I think there will be a lot of teams wanting to avoid us.

If Bordeaux and Worcester win their games earlier on Saturday then by the time it comes to your match kicking off at 8pm Stade will already know they are out. Definitely don't see them putting in 100% if that's the case.

French team at home though
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:01 pm

If we don't win, we're more than likely fourth seed which would mean a home tie against Cardiff. In all honesty I think this is the most likely scenario. If we win however we'll be top seed and I think we'll probably end up playing Brive.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 pm

biffer wrote:If we don't win, we're more than likely fourth seed which would mean a home tie against Cardiff. In all honesty I think this is the most likely scenario. If we win however we'll be top seed and I think we'll probably end up playing Brive.

We're only guaranteed the No.1 seed slot if we get a bonus point win in Paris. If we don't, Pau could still end up ahead of us if they get a bonus point win.

But yes, agree a home game against Cardiff is probably the most likely outcome if all results go as expected.

The downside about being 4th seed is that we'd definitely be away in a hypothetical semi-final, but one step at a time!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:49 pm

biffer wrote:If we don't win, we're more than likely fourth seed which would mean a home tie against Cardiff. In all honesty I think this is the most likely scenario. If we win however we'll be top seed and I think we'll probably end up playing Brive.

Brive would need a BP win against Worcester - if they just win and 16 points is the qualification mark then you could end up facing London Irish (with a superior points difference to Brive) if you finish 1st! LI have 11 points and will surely get a BP win against Krazny Yar? :eek:
disco
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:34 pm

The third try did make me think, why don't we do that more often especially with Kinghorn at the end of it? Penalty advantage near the 22, stick it in the air and have a 6'4 fullback haring after it seems like a decent bet if you're coming back for a penalty anyway.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Is s there any official highlights for the actual game. Can see a couple of phone recorded highlights on YouTube. Ta
KenMavor
International

Postby Frenchy on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 am

Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum