ER v SF 12 Jan 18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: ER v SF 12 Jan 18

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:49 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:When Sutherland got a YC v London Irish Sheilds came on, but I cant recall if McCallum switched across to TH for the sin bin period.

He did switch over. Prop that can play both sides as well as he does is gold-dust. Staggering given his age.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Wottie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:When Sutherland got a YC v London Irish Sheilds came on, but I cant recall if McCallum switched across to TH for the sin bin period.

He did switch over. Prop that can play both sides as well as he does is gold-dust. Staggering given his age.

I read somewhere, it might even have been here, that McCallum was switched to loosehead because Zander was the stronger tighthead up through the age grades.

If that is the case it goes some way to explaining why he’s been so succesful on both sides, he knows his way around a scrum from both perspectives.

Back in the amateur days I got switched over and after taking a couple of hidings I found it easier to do some damage on the looseheid side. I think that’s an easier switch, though.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Saw an interesting tweet that at 24 Mark Bennett is the oldest of our starting backs tomorrow. The future looking bright.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Saw an interesting tweet that at 24 Mark Bennett is the oldest of our starting backs tomorrow. The future looking bright.

It sounds unbelievable but is correct! The second oldest, 6 months his junior, is the gifted young whippersnapper Sam H-C. Jeeze, we''re fielding a Colts team against the might of Stade F! :eek: But I think the team will go well, there's a load of talent, fitness and endeavour there, bodes very well for the future. Really looking forward to the game, could be a cracker if Lady Luck backs the right team. (Now its black and red, LL, get it right!).
royc
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Back in the amateur days I got switched over and after taking a couple of hidings I found it easier to do some damage on the looseheid side. I think that’s an easier switch, though.

So essentially, we should now know Tichtheid as Looseheid :lol:
royc
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:26 pm

royc wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

So essentially, we should now know Tichtheid as Looseheid :lol:

You're killing his image :roll:
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:38 pm

It was a mistake, sharing that.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 pm

stef.s wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:SF team

15. Tony Ensor; 14. Romain Martial, 13. Waisea Vuidarvuwalu, 12. Jonathan Danty, 11. Julien Arias; 10. Jules Plisson, 9. Charl McLeod; 1. Heinke Van der Merwe, 2. Laurent Panis, 3. Paul Alo Emile, 4. Paul Gabrillagues, 5. Alexandre Flanquart, 6. Mathieu De Giovanni, 7. Matthieu Ugena, 8. Sekou Macalou

16. Craig Burden, 17. Zurabi Zhvania, 18. Giorgi Melikidze, 19. Steevy Cerqueira, 20. Bakary Meïte, 21. Clement Daguin, 22. Shane Geraghty, 23. Jimmy Yobo

Looks weak

Being honest, I only recognise Plisson and Geraghty (wasn't he London Irish a couple of seasons ago?). No Morne Steyn, Sergio Parisse, Willem Alberts, Waisea Nayacalevu or Lorenzo Cittadini. I assume Genia is no longer with them?

Wonder if they'll have their match day training run at Union Park, Corstorphine like last time? A fine effort by RHC Cougars (as was) to clear the dog sh!t from the pitch before they turned up. Got a tip off so went along with my son (without telling him why), was quite something to see the look on his face when Wallaby and Springbok half backs Genia and Steyn rocked up out of the blue...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:48 pm

re ages of the backs

up front Sutherland is 23, Rambo 27, McCallum 21, Toolis 25, Gilcho 27, Watson 26, Bradbury 22, Mata 26

In forwards terms they are young guys, McInally and Gilchrist as the oldest should have another five years of top class rugby to look forward to and if you factor in what we have in reserve the future is looking good
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 am

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-ai ... nst-stade/

Interesting snippets:

- SHC was on paternity leave last week - congratulations to him and his new family
- Cockers asked for Lay to be registered as an emergency but was told it wasn't allowed - Millar-Mills also ineligible, so if we lose another prop we could be close to uncontested scrums next week! Also, clearly Bryce is 6th choice tighthead behind Nel, Berghan, McCallum, Shields and Millar-Mills. I fear no new contract for him... hope he can rebuild his career elsewhere, maybe as Hooker?
- Marfo doesn't require surgery on his disc problem, which is good, but no clear return to training date - presumably unlikely for 6N now..
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:20 am

Tichtheid wrote:re ages of the backs

up front Sutherland is 23, Rambo 27, McCallum 21, Toolis 25, Gilcho 27, Watson 26, Bradbury 22, Mata 26

In forwards terms they are young guys, McInally and Gilchrist as the oldest should have another five years of top class rugby to look forward to and if you factor in what we have in reserve the future is looking good

Exciting potential there.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:30 pm

New Gunner wrote:https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-aim-to-deliver-knockout-blow-against-stade/

Interesting snippets:

- SHC was on paternity leave last week - congratulations to him and his new family
- Cockers asked for Lay to be registered as an emergency but was told it wasn't allowed - Millar-Mills also ineligible, so if we lose another prop we could be close to uncontested scrums next week! Also, clearly Bryce is 6th choice tighthead behind Nel, Berghan, McCallum, Shields and Millar-Mills. I fear no new contract for him... hope he can rebuild his career elsewhere, maybe as Hooker?
- Marfo doesn't require surgery on his disc problem, which is good, but no clear return to training date - presumably unlikely for 6N now..

I suspect uncontested would suit us
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
New Gunner wrote:https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-aim-to-deliver-knockout-blow-against-stade/

Interesting snippets:

Don't the team who force the uncontested scrum have to play with 14?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Interesting snippets:

Don't the team who force the uncontested scrum have to play with 14?

Yes.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Wottie wrote:

I read somewhere, it might even have been here, that McCallum was switched to loosehead because Zander was the stronger tighthead up through the age grades.

If that is the case it goes some way to explaining why he’s been so succesful on both sides, he knows his way around a scrum from both perspectives.

McCallum and Fagerson were in the same Strathallan front row. McCallum was switched to loosehead then. He is basically a tighthead. Ritchie was in the back row of the same team.
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum