SF v ER pt 2 - 20 Jan 20:00 on BT Sport

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: SF v ER pt 2 - 20 Jan 20:00 on BT Sport

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Same as last week, Stade did not commit to rucks and just spread out so Edinburgh were outnumbered. They rushed up n defence all night. Yet over two games Edinburgh seemed to still have little idea how do deal with these tactics other than run into a Stade player.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Weegie wrote:Same as last week, Stade did not commit to rucks and just spread out so Edinburgh were outnumbered. They rushed up n defence all night. Yet over two games Edinburgh seemed to still have little idea how do deal with these tactics other than run into a Stade player.

Got some joy with pick and go's later on, but our backs are just not organised enough to beat defences like that. Stade read the strike runner every time to knock them back whenever we tried a move, and its persistence across the season makes it look like a coaching issue unsurprisingly.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Well, a lot better than it was looking after 6 minutes! Thought we dug in well, and got better as the game went on. Good effort by the starting forwards, who looked in all sorts of trouble to start with but in the end did well against a strong French pack. Thought du Preez had a very good game, and the subs definitely made a difference. Never mind Bennett for Scotland, Johnstone had more impact in the short time he was on, and should be pushing for a starting place in the team.

I see the QF against Cardiff is at Murrayfield; no surprise but a bit disappointing. Myreside will never feel like home until we get some memorable nights there for big games that mean something in front of sell-out crowds, and the QF was an opportunity for that. I think it's a big mistake taking this game to Murrayfield for the sake of a few thousand extra ticket sales.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:27 pm

gowrie wrote:I thought Fenton looked like he can be a pretty good player if he can sort his lineouts, Ritchie and Sutherland stood out the whole game on attack and defence, making a point to Toonie no doubt. Hoyland probably stands out in the backs (not a tough job), with a great finish to make his try.

Bit disappointed with how little Graham and Bennett got into the game, but a rainy bog is not going to be the best place for them to shine. And we need a new SH if SHC is leaving at the end of this season.

Fenton showed up well in the loose but couldn’t hook or throw to save himself :eek:

Thought generally the whole pack showed up pretty well in the loose actually with special mentions to Ritchie. Thought the scrum was pretty decent apart from that one early one, and for that McCallum and Sutherland should hold their heads up.

Backs were never going to be greatly involved on that pitch but I actually thought Graham looked decent and looked to get involved pretty often. Hoyland once again showed up well, if he could only find some consistency...

Bennett had a quiet game and also made some errors when he did get the ball, but he’s just back from injury so I’m willing to cut him some slack.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Fowles is so much better than SHC.

Fowles in defence bailed out Graham more than once today, his pass is more consistent and his decision making is better.

Unplayable 3 years ago. But SHC is not a good rugby player at this point.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Well, a lot better than it was looking after 6 minutes! Thought we dug in well, and got better as the game went on. Good effort by the starting forwards, who looked in all sorts of trouble to start with but in the end did well against a strong French pack. Thought du Preez had a very good game, and the subs definitely made a difference. Never mind Bennett for Scotland, Johnstone had more impact in the short time he was on, and should be pushing for a starting place in the team.

I see the QF against Cardiff is at Murrayfield; no surprise but a bit disappointing. Myreside will never feel like home until we get some memorable nights there for big games that mean something in front of sell-out crowds, and the QF was an opportunity for that. I think it's a big mistake taking this game to Murrayfield for the sake of a few thousand extra ticket sales.

totally agree with above.
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 pm

djphilp wrote:
gowrie wrote:I thought Fenton looked like he can be a pretty good player if he can sort his lineouts, Ritchie and Sutherland stood out the whole game on attack and defence, making a point to Toonie no doubt. Hoyland probably stands out in the backs (not a tough job), with a great finish to make his try.

Bit disappointed with how little Graham and Bennett got into the game, but a rainy bog is not going to be the best place for them to shine. And we need a new SH if SHC is leaving at the end of this season.

Fenton showed up well in the loose but couldn’t hook or throw to save himself :eek:

Thought generally the whole pack showed up pretty well in the loose actually with special mentions to Ritchie. Thought the scrum was pretty decent apart from that one early one, and for that McCallum and Sutherland should hold their heads up.

Backs were never going to be greatly involved on that pitch but I actually thought Graham looked decent and looked to get involved pretty often. Hoyland once again showed up well, if he could only find some consistency...

Bennett had a quiet game and also made some errors when he did get the ball, but he’s just back from injury so I’m willing to cut him some slack.

The lineouts weren't good, but McKenzie got his hands to a few that he spilled.

Hoyland's been solid in the games since Cockerill's brought him back into the team, the materials are there for a test class winger if things go well.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 am

Debaser wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:Well, a lot better than it was looking after 6 minutes! Thought we dug in well, and got better as the game went on. Good effort by the starting forwards, who looked in all sorts of trouble to start with but in the end did well against a strong French pack. Thought du Preez had a very good game, and the subs definitely made a difference. Never mind Bennett for Scotland, Johnstone had more impact in the short time he was on, and should be pushing for a starting place in the team.

totally agree with above.

On the QF agree we should use Myreside I’m sure the capacity would be enough.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:07 am

Isn't there a competiton rule regarding capacity/facilities for knockout rounds?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 am

Tichtheid wrote:Isn't there a competiton rule regarding capacity/facilities for knockout rounds?

Not for QF I think
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm

I was disappointed with Fenton's throwing but I don't think McKenzie had his finest game in the lineout. How often were Carmichael, Ritchie or Bradbury thrown to?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Have I just missed it somewhere but was there a date for the 1/4s?
Pitfitter

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:37 pm

No.At the moment its just w/e of 30th March/1st April Easter weekend btw)-so could be Friday night,Saturday or Sunday/ Depends on BT Sport/Sky carve up of fixtures-think from last year will be announced about middle of coming week.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Cheers for that I had that weekend in my head for the game but couldn't find anything here, block booking in the diary then till date/time confirmed.
Pitfitter

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Sorry but I now see that the Challenge Cup-but not Champions Cup-can also be played on Thursday 29th March (no doubt to accommodate the tv moguls), Can't imagine any club being happy with that so fingers crossed we don't get the short straw here.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum