SF v ER pt 2 - 20 Jan 20:00 on BT Sport

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

SF v ER pt 2 - 20 Jan 20:00 on BT Sport

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Graham

Hoyland
Bennett
Rasolea
VDM

VDW
Fowles

Sutherland
Fenton
McCallum
McKenzie
Carmichael
Bradbury
Ritchie
DuPreez

Cochrane, Bryce, Sheilds, Gilchrist, Mata, SHC, Johnstone, Fife
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: SF v ER pt 2 - 20 Jan 20:00 on BT Sport

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Is Lay injUred?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:29 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Is Lay injUred?

Not in Euro squad
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Ah, hadn't thought of that.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Lay wasn't able to be registered.

Much changed squad as expected. Well deserved rests for some. Looking forward to seeing them play

Is there a concern that as good as it is to have McCallum playing both sides, it may begin to hinder his development? It isn't yet but might?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 pm

BigD163 wrote:Lay wasn't able to be registered.

Much changed squad as expected. Well deserved rests for some. Looking forward to seeing them play

Is there a concern that as good as it is to have McCallum playing both sides, it may begin to hinder his development? It isn't yet but might?

I can't see it being a problem whilst we get over our ridiculous injury crisis in the front row, in the long run it could well stand him in good stead - he's gaining a lot of experience that others don't get.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Them

15Tony Ensor, 14 Julien Arias, 13 Waisea Vuidarvuwalu, 12 Jonathan Danty, 11 Djibril Camara, 10 Shane Geraghty,
9 Charl McLeod

1 Zurabi Zhvania, 2 Laurent Panis, 3 Paul Alo Emile, 4 Paul Gabrillagues, 5 Alexandre Flanquart (capt), 6 Mathieu De Giovanni, 7 Matthieu Ugena, 8 Sekou Macalou

16 Craig Burden, 17 Heinke Van der Merwe, 18 Giorgi Melikidze, 19 Steevy Cerqueira, 20 Sergio Parisse, 21 Arthur Coville, 22 Paul Williams, 23 Jimmy Yobo

Looks weak, etc

edit, having now compared the two selections, it's very close to what they fielded last week, the big difference obviously is Sergio on the pine
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:15 pm

I think the big change is Geraghty for Plisson, which is great news. Plisson was 100% with the boot from all angles IIRC, so good to see a change there.

Might be overstating it, but if we lose tonight I think we go out in the semis. Win, and we have a grea chance of making Bilbao.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 pm

edit, having now compared the two selections, it's very close to what they fielded last week, the big difference obviously is Sergio on the pine

Meh a poor mans Villiame Mata

Per twitter The Black Bull and The Huxley both showing the game tomorrow night 50% off your total bill with ST or match ticket (i assume last weeks)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:14 pm

New Gunner wrote:I think the big change is Geraghty for Plisson, which is great news. Plisson was 100% with the boot from all angles IIRC, so good to see a change there.

Might be overstating it, but if we lose tonight I think we go out in the semis. Win, and we have a grea chance of making Bilbao.

Loving your optimism NG, but after a few beers at curry club tonight it won’t matter who or where we play in the semi, we WILL be going to the final in Bilbao :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 pm

I'd rather Fife started than Graham. SF defence is big and well organised so I'd rather have the bigger player running it to start, then the smaller jinky player running at tired legs later.

Given the struggle against the SF pack last week, it may be worse this with a lighter front five.

But here we are with a long list of injuries, a number of players rotated, and we are still putting out a side that has a decent chance. I'm still not sure that is a light at the end of the tunnel or an onrushing train, but I am beginning to hope.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 pm

New Gunner wrote:I think the big change is Geraghty for Plisson, which is great news. Plisson was 100% with the boot from all angles IIRC, so good to see a change there.

Yeah, Plisson was the best player on the pitch last week imo, class whenever he had the ball. If he hadn’t been playing I think we would have beaten them with a fair bit more comfort. Geraghty is not in the same class.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Weegie wrote:I'd rather Fife started than Graham. SF defence is big and well organised so I'd rather have the bigger player running it to start, then the smaller jinky player running at tired legs later.

Given the struggle against the SF pack last week, it may be worse this with a lighter front five.

But here we are with a long list of injuries, a number of players rotated, and we are still putting out a side that has a decent chance. I'm still not sure that is a light at the end of the tunnel or an onrushing train, but I am beginning to hope.

I’m actually really interested to see how that front five goes. Fenton looks like the real deal so far, and Carmichael has never been short of effort, although I’m a bit worried that he’ll prove to be a tweener, which is fine at proq4 level but means he won’t get there at international level.

I also think this might be a bit of Cockers playing nice with the SRU, protecting Watson, McInally and Toolis for the 6Ns. That and I don’t think he minds losing this, being fourth seed and getting a home QF v Cardiff, rather than the roulette of facing a French team at that stage.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:56 pm

New Gunner wrote:Might be overstating it, but if we lose tonight I think we go out in the semis. Win, and we have a grea chance of making Bilbao.

Is that because a win would favour us in hosting a semi-final, or is it just a bet ?

I expected much more rotations to be honest.
It will be interesting for Carmichael : can he compete at lock (same questions for the whole pack) ?
I hope we'll get some good balls to the likes of Graham, Hoyland and Bennett : how not to be excited by those backs ?
Good to see captain McKenzie back.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Fanscene on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Agree about Plisson

Think it’ll let us see what our true strength in depth is.

Give the younger guys a true experience of professional rugby onthe road.

Hopefully a good result. Currently waiting for flight to Paris
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum