Edinburgh - Leinster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh - Leinster

Postby Weegie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:52 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Loaning Weir out still makes no sense when we don't have proper backup in the squad.

Fife at FB ahead of Bryce and Graham is also interesting. We also could have had WDW as an option if we had a backup 10.

I think Weir deserves the chance to play with a decent backline and a team going forward, something he hasn't had since he arrived. WDW is decent but he does tend to crab with the ball and shut down space for the centres. That's getting fussy though as he has looked better than we have had for a long time, although caveated by the comments above.

Leinster are not the team to put out a young, inexperienced player at FB against. I'll lay any money you like there will be high balls coming at him early doors with Daly who is 6 inches taller and way heavier close behind. At least at 14 he can be protected a little bit more, at 15 he'd be exposed. Fife is a player I have always rated, but am still a wee bit surprised he is in at 15 ahead of Bryce.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:53 am

Weegie wrote: Fife is a player I have always rated, but am still a wee bit surprised he is in at 15 ahead of Bryce.

It's surprising for sure but Bryce doesn't seem to be very rated by our coaches. The fact he is on the bench means IMO that we have quite a lot of unavailable players in the back division...
Last time Fife started at FB, Brown was on the wing, which was surprising as he had much more experience at FB... And Hodge was already our back coach.

dolf_lundgren wrote:Loaning Weir out still makes no sense when we don't have proper backup in the squad.

I think Weir deserves the chance to play with a decent backline and a team going forward, something he hasn't had since he arrived. WDW is decent but he does tend to crab with the ball and shut down space for the centres. That's getting fussy though as he has looked better than we have had for a long time, although caveated by the comments above.

True enough but quite possible too that we won't see Weir in an Embra jersey.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:43 am

germain wrote:
Weegie wrote: Fife is a player I have always rated, but am still a wee bit surprised he is in at 15 ahead of Bryce.

It's surprising for sure but Bryce doesn't seem to be very rated by our coaches. The fact he is on the bench means IMO that we have quite a lot of unavailable players in the back division...
Last time Fife started at FB, Brown was on the wing, which was surprising as he had much more experience at FB... And Hodge was already our back coach.

I think Cockerill is aware that if we put a small fullback in Leinster will bombard him all night so put the bigger option there. They'll still kick at Graham, but it's a bit more difficult kicking to the wing and errors often aren't so exposed.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 pm

germain wrote:

Is Brown injured? I remember him going off with a sore one a good while ago, but have no idea what happened since.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 pm

.......which game to watch...?

I really hope Edinburgh and Glasgow can do the business as the Scottish team would get a heck of a boost for Sunday.
C'mon the boys.
KenMavor
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:17 pm

Come on!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Good competitive game of rugby, well ref'd I thought.

Cracking win, could he massive for our season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Bit of team spirit coming through too
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Bonus point win over Leinster. I’ll buy that for a dollar.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Smashing result, top marks to the team and coaches! Only saw the second half but it looked a v good shift and lots to like. The backs are playing very well, great to see Bennett hitting the straps and Graham looks a great addition to the crew. Van der Merwe has a real touch of class and Dean, Fife, Fowles, SHC, Bryce etc all looked fast, mobile and on top of their game. Great stuff!

How did the forwards do? Saw Mata doing a lot of carrying up, he is looking like a proper ball-carrying 8 and the packs looked pretty evenly matched in the 40 mins I saw.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:37 pm

Boy was it cold out tonight, still a warm glow set in with full points at the end, could have been easier if all the kicks had gone between rather than around the posts. A good display by all and even the ref got there (his first full pro14 game?), Leinster will feel hard done by but hey, I don't really care, pity Ulster got the points too, still as long as we're chasing them the league place is their's to lose.
Poor crowd tonight unfortunately.
Pitfitter

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 am

Great win.

Duhan van Der Merwe is an absolute beast. With absolutely tear up this league for years to come.

I thought the pack were very industrious. Played exactly how you'd expect a Cockers and Grant pack to play. Was good to see Hardie back.

I thought SHC looked very good when he came on. Much better passing and good kicking game.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 am

I've supported Edinburgh through thick and thin for more time than I care to remember. Then when I can't make a match they do this.

Typical.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 am

Subs, particularly up front, made an impact great to be able to bring on the quality of sutherland, Bradbury, Hardie and cochrane could see us lift the intensity for the last quarter. Good service and vision from SHC as well, nice to see us playing for the tries with penalty advantage.

We look to be developing a really nice balance between forward power and running back play. Squad look like they are enjoying themselves as well. Good job Cockers and co
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 am

I enjoyed that!

Watson and Berghan were sat in front of me. I was amused when a fan asked for a photo with Watson (but not Berghan).
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum