Edinburgh v Cardiff

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Cardiff

Postby Weegie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:13 pm

The email for tickets for this went into my spam so I was a bit late. I have booked tickets, but I'm hoping they open the top deck so I can get better ones there.

Which then got me onto the general point of why use all the bottom tier, rather than the middle sections of the top and bottom? It's the same stand, it's the same number of sections, and there are more seats with good views. Anyone have any ideas?
Weegie
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Cardiff

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Weegie wrote:The email for tickets for this went into my spam so I was a bit late. I have booked tickets, but I'm hoping they open the top deck so I can get better ones there.

Which then got me onto the general point of why use all the bottom tier, rather than the middle sections of the top and bottom? It's the same stand, it's the same number of sections, and there are more seats with good views. Anyone have any ideas?

Tv. Looks better with the bottom tier full
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:19 pm

As Gary says, they prefer to get a lower tier crowd round as much of the North South and East stands as possible as opposed to filling the whole of the East stand. It looks better for the TV, atmosphere presumably is better with crowd all round rather than concentrated in one area but I am told there is a step change in stewarding costs when you open up the upper tiers as well so there is a financial element to it as well.

All that said, it sucks as if you were looking at this from the fans perspective, upper tier East stand is the best place to watch rugby from in the whole country, and unlike the lower tier, you don't get soaked when its TonySpreadbury down.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:55 am

Wottie wrote:As Gary says, they prefer to get a lower tier crowd round as much of the North South and East stands as possible as opposed to filling the whole of the East stand. It looks better for the TV, atmosphere presumably is better with crowd all round rather than concentrated in one area but I am told there is a step change in stewarding costs when you open up the upper tiers as well so there is a financial element to it as well.

All that said, it sucks as if you were looking at this from the fans perspective, upper tier East stand is the best place to watch rugby from in the whole country, and unlike the lower tier, you don't get soaked when its TonySpreadbury down.

I can understand the stewarding for the other stands which have very different constructions, but the east stand has all sections opening off the same concourse. I'd have thought x number of sections requires the same number of stewards whether they are on one level or two.

I'm probably missing something.

I am probably biased so seeing what I want to see as given the choice I'll go upper east every time.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am

Aye east 12/14 are the best seats
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 am

Weegie wrote:
I can understand the stewarding for the other stands which have very different constructions, but the east stand has all sections opening off the same concourse. I'd have thought x number of sections requires the same number of stewards whether they are on one level or two.

I'm probably missing something.

Stewards need special altitude training to do the upper tiers. That expertise doesn't come cheap
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:37 am

At a rough guess, that's about 4000 tickets gone already - 5 sections sold out plus the bits from the other ones so say 6 sections at around 650 seats each, plus a few hundred standing.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:55 pm

biffer wrote:At a rough guess, that's about 4000 tickets gone already - 5 sections sold out plus the bits from the other ones so say 6 sections at around 650 seats each, plus a few hundred standing.

Sounds like they need to open the top tier! :lol:
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby GunnerRob on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm

I looked around the sections when the tickets went on sale and a number of sections had rows blanked out. I think theses were maybe for corporate and/or Cardiff. So looking at the sections and the remaining seats isn't necessarily the best indication on tickets sold.
GunnerRob
International

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:59 pm

bignose wrote:
Stewards need special altitude training to do the upper tiers. That expertise doesn't come cheap

That would be the only training some of them seem to get then.
Pitfitter

Postby Wottie on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:08 am

Referee appointment announced for this one yesterday. We have Mathieu Raynal.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 am

Wottie wrote:Referee appointment announced for this one yesterday. We have Mathieu Raynal.

Strongly favours the attacking side (see both Glasgow's games v Leicester and England v Scotland last season) so imperative that Edinburgh are on the front foot and take control of the game.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Pitfitter wrote:
bignose wrote:

That would be the only training some of them seem to get then.

I think that's a little unfair. Our stewards are pretty good natured and laid back. Some of the Glasgow ones, according to some weeg fans I was talking to at the game at Scotstoun, are shall we say rather more football minded in their stewarding attitudes.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Lay, Nel and Weir added to euro squad
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GunnerRob on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:36 pm

I notice that the upper deck is open now. 7 sections downstairs and 3 up open now. Not many ticket gone upstairs yet and some of the lower sections still have plenty of tickets left.
GunnerRob
International

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum