Edinburgh v Cardiff

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Cardiff

Postby macdone on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
macdone wrote:Our backline is still a problem - we are still recruiting players just below top level ie 3rd \ 4th choice for Scotland like Scott and Bennett. They are good players but we shouldn't get carried away. Our backline will at least be competitive with the likes of Connacht, Cardiff and Ospreys and that's progress.

Ultimately we have to do better developing our own backs like Leinster, Scarlets and Glasgow have. Whether we have the best coaches to do that I don´t know. But let's hope Shiel and Graham can succeed where SHC and Hoyland have failed.

Bennett is a tricky one as it's injury rather than lack of ability that's held him back. Of course he needed some improvements but the main problem is injury.

I agree with you in that we have talented backs and youngsters but they don't kick in and become international class players. Kinghorn looks well on his way and I expect his occasional brain fades to stop.

I'd like to know the reasoning behind Dean not getting near any Scotland squads though.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:15 am

disco wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Not sure he ran up blind alleys - clear out at the breakdown was terrible last night no matter who was the carrier. Yeah, he needs to tidy up his defence.

Hardie turned the ball over a bit, he'll never be a carrying type. Maybe he's not the modern 7 but effective at what he does. Bradbury can carry a tad too high that's true but he and Mata had 2/3 tacklers to bring them down - problem was Cardiff disrupted the breakdown and sprinted up in defence cutting down space. There would've been space out wide but we couldn't get there. I think Dean has an underrated passing game but neither he nor Bennett would you describe passing as a strength which caused problems.

I meant that VdW's kicks don't get much length. Kinghorn's breaks were fantastic but from 22 exits he can come up to clear.

The difference between Mata and Bradbury seemed pretty stark. Mata consistently provided front foot ball whereas Bradbury went nowhere. ESPN have them as 20 carries for 54 metres and 11 carries for 4 metres respectively. Bradbury also lost the ball 4 times. 18 months ago Bradbury seemed like he was going to be the answer for Scotland at 6 but he seems to be toiling a bit right now.

Ah jeez. Didn't realise his carrying stats were so bad. Bradbury has picked up his defensive and breakdown efforts but really needs to improve on those carrying stats.

Would say Mata was returning some kicks which helps if you're getting 5 metres before contact.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:20 am

macdone wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
macdone wrote:Our backline is still a problem - we are still recruiting players just below top level ie 3rd \ 4th choice for Scotland like Scott and Bennett. They are good players but we shouldn't get carried away. Our backline will at least be competitive with the likes of Connacht, Cardiff and Ospreys and that's progress.

Ultimately we have to do better developing our own backs like Leinster, Scarlets and Glasgow have. Whether we have the best coaches to do that I don´t know. But let's hope Shiel and Graham can succeed where SHC and Hoyland have failed.

Bennett is a tricky one as it's injury rather than lack of ability that's held him back. Of course he needed some improvements but the main problem is injury.

I agree with you in that we have talented backs and youngsters but they don't kick in and become international class players. Kinghorn looks well on his way and I expect his occasional brain fades to stop.

I'd like to know the reasoning behind Dean not getting near any Scotland squads though.

I like Dean, he's a strong carrier, good in defence, sneaky passing game but he's not quite put it all together. Been our best centre this year imo.

Don't see how he gets ahead of Jones, Horne, Dunbar, Taylor and Grigg though, Harris must show something for Falcons to get in there but don't watch them so can't see it - same with Scott don't watch Gloucester. Oh, and you have Sam Johnson qualifying. I'd have him in before Bennett and Burleigh at this point though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 am

disco wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Not sure he ran up blind alleys - clear out at the breakdown was terrible last night no matter who was the carrier. Yeah, he needs to tidy up his defence.

Hardie turned the ball over a bit, he'll never be a carrying type. Maybe he's not the modern 7 but effective at what he does. Bradbury can carry a tad too high that's true but he and Mata had 2/3 tacklers to bring them down - problem was Cardiff disrupted the breakdown and sprinted up in defence cutting down space. There would've been space out wide but we couldn't get there. I think Dean has an underrated passing game but neither he nor Bennett would you describe passing as a strength which caused problems.

I meant that VdW's kicks don't get much length. Kinghorn's breaks were fantastic but from 22 exits he can come up to clear.

The difference between Mata and Bradbury seemed pretty stark. Mata consistently provided front foot ball whereas Bradbury went nowhere. ESPN have them as 20 carries for 54 metres and 11 carries for 4 metres respectively. Bradbury also lost the ball 4 times. 18 months ago Bradbury seemed like he was going to be the answer for Scotland at 6 but he seems to be toiling a bit right now.

I agree he hadn't quite hit the heights, but let's remember it's only a couple of weeks since he was named MOTM in Galway...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum