Edinburgh v Cardiff

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Cardiff

Postby Oldsalt on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:35 pm

Take note Cockers the old Edinburgh Rugby returns. The 6 Nations is over and we could not give a monkeys.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:39 pm

Played like drunks, going hard without a brain cell in the whole team

How can anyone watch a game like that and say Hodge is doing a good job with our attack? Or that Van der Walt is a real option at 10 going forward? Would we really lose anything by dropping Fowles and giving Shiel a game?

Point of the game, they dominate territory in the first half and wait for our mistakes to score. We dominate territory in the second half and they wait for our mistakes to relieve pressure.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:45 pm

Would like to pretend that I'm not bothered about that result because we're focussing on the league but that'd be a flagrant lie.

Cardiff deserved the win but let's face facts - we might as well have put wrapping paper and a bow on it for them. Very, very poor indeed.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Poor display, very poor execution. I thought we had the chances to turn it around but blew every one of them.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:58 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Poor display, very poor execution. I thought we had the chances to turn it around but blew every one of them.

Our performance was pretty much 10% different from our recent run of wins, which were never quality performances IMO. The reality is that our attack, is rubbish, and even when we've had some great ball from the forwards our backs have almost never threatened except when Kinghorn creates something. I think if you compare us to teams we should be marking ourselves against, in the top half of the table, our passing and lines are so much slower and done miles away from the defence if we do them at all. Need a change at halfback and attack coach, but I think I've said that a few times now.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:32 pm

A lot of revisionism here.

Carriers didn't get on the front foot as Cardiff made dominant tackles, Cardiff then messed up the breakdown, Fowles was slow and the backline got nothing going.

Bad day at the office.

Carmichael improved things, Dean carried well, the backrow got around as positives.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:56 pm

Severely disappointed in all performances, WE NEED A COMPETENT 9! home and the cork is out the bottle now, impending hangover tomorrow.
Pitfitter

Postby macdone on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:14 pm

I'm confused. How come Cardiff are at home for the semi?
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:29 pm

I'd rather we did that this week rather than next. A huge wake up call.

How long do we give Bennett to find his form? At the very least we should be rotating him.

As for Fowles, it's 2 9s we need to be recruiting this summer, not just 1.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 pm

macdone wrote:I'm confused. How come Cardiff are at home for the semi?

we know.

Teams winning away in QF get rewarded with home semi final
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Poor display, very poor execution. I thought we had the chances to turn it around but blew every one of them.

The worst game of rugby ive seen in a long time.The amount of times cardiff chipped our defence ; you would reckon we would eventually wisen up to that.it was hard to find any positives in that display,but one thing is for certain the half backs should have been hooked early in the match and to be honest should be shown the door. Overall no one in the team really stood out. These are games we should be winning ,if we produce anymore similiar to that it could be a dire end to the Season .
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:01 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:A lot of revisionism here.

Carriers didn't get on the front foot as Cardiff made dominant tackles, Cardiff then messed up the breakdown, Fowles was slow and the backline got nothing going.

Bad day at the office.

Carmichael improved things, Dean carried well, the backrow got around as positives.

don't think there is much revisionism - or really understand what you mean by it.

Edinburgh were poor, poor all round. Kinghorn a gem in attack second half but poor first half. Hardie made his tackles, Carmichael did well but the rest were poor. worst McInally all season by some distance, Nel was playing apparently, ditto Lay.
Fowles really poor, Kennedy better but when your pack is not winning collisions as you say............backs suffer.
I think I once said VDW was a clever player. I take it back. Not even a poor man's Weir. A pauper's Weir, Cockerill was too quick to release Weir. Duhan is a big quick lump but raw and naive, needs to be a lot smarter in how to take contact when he can't smash a guy away.

A game like this was always likely to happen, as well to get it out of the way. But the big plus may be that Cockerill will hopefully have learned. Not just about the players and where we are - but that he was totally out coached and needs to instill into players how to cope when plan A is being easily shut down. Cardiff knew how to blunt out carriers with 2 man tackles, and they new exactly how to exploit the space behind the rush defence when FB is deep and no 9 sweeping. Pinpointed weaknesses and exploited them.

However the players battled to the end - still in with a chance with 10mins to go but lacked composure and accuracy. The world didn't come to an end tonight, but reality paid a reminder
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:26 pm

We're not as good as our recent run has suggested, no surprise there. Cardiff played well, their defence was more physical than ours, and they deserved to win. Us? It was a bad night, nothing went our way and we didn't play well. It happens. No need to panic, the winning run was always going to end at some point, we just need to come back more determined next week. Not many good performances tonight, my standout was Mata again. Impressive number of carries, and the only Edinburgh player consistently getting over the gain line. Good luck to Cardiff in the next round.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:51 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:A lot of revisionism here.

Bad day at the office.

don't think there is much revisionism - or really understand what you mean by it.

Edinburgh were poor, poor all round. Kinghorn a gem in attack second half but poor first half. Hardie made his tackles, Carmichael did well but the rest were poor. worst McInally all season by some distance, Nel was playing apparently, ditto Lay.
Fowles really poor, Kennedy better but when your pack is not winning collisions as you say............backs suffer.
I think I once said VDW was a clever player. I take it back. Not even a poor man's Weir. A pauper's Weir, Cockerill was too quick to release Weir. Duhan is a big quick lump but raw and naive, needs to be a lot smarter in how to take contact when he can't smash a guy away.

A game like this was always likely to happen, as well to get it out of the way. But the big plus may be that Cockerill will hopefully have learned. Not just about the players and where we are - but that he was totally out coached and needs to instill into players how to cope when plan A is being easily shut down. Cardiff knew how to blunt out carriers with 2 man tackles, and they new exactly how to exploit the space behind the rush defence when FB is deep and no 9 sweeping. Pinpointed weaknesses and exploited them.

However the players battled to the end - still in with a chance with 10mins to go but lacked composure and accuracy. The world didn't come to an end tonight, but reality paid a reminder

Agree, McInally was as bad as I've seen, the lineout really was terrible and killed momentum. Props as you say awful, second row didn't punch holes or clear bodies at the rucks. I do think the back row was decent.

Van Der Walt was no good today but Weir was honking when he came on as well. His pass to van Der Merwe at the end was genuinely dreadful. Neither are the answer so fingers crossed for Hickey.

I'm not sure I agree - vdM made metres but needs to get more involved and tidy up his defence. I'm disappointed by Bennett - just not getting anything going.

What disappointed me most was our kicking game was absolutely mince. Fowles' box kicking is a farce, either no length at all or a kick that goes far too far and gives nobody a chance of recovering. VdW kicks too short. Kinghorn has a very nice kick towards the end of the first half but other than that doesn't seem to kick.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:32 am

We will never win games like that without control at 9 and 10 and we had neither playing well. TBH as long as 9 is playing well then we have a chance but tonight Fowles was shockingly bad! He was awful and if anyone thinks he is on par with Pyrgos they need their head examined.

Cardiff got our number from the off and we didnt respond. They flooded the breakdown and then played an 'umbrella' defence targeting our 13 and it worked every time. They stopped the ball getting to our wings and FB and stifled our gameplan. We had nothing and ended up going further and further behind the gain line. Our kicking game was very poor and we ended up not knowing what to do next.

Hopefully Ulster didnt watch that game or else we will be stuffed. We will need to start Kennedy and Weir in the next game!
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum