Edinburgh v Cardiff

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Cardiff

Postby Weegie on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:07 am

Getting ahead of myself here, but I had not realised there was no way we can get a home semi if we win. Either Pau get it by being higher ranked or Stade do by virtue of winning away.

Edit
Just noticed that all 4 quarters are televised with the Edinburgh match on Sky Sports.

Cardiff are on a winning run as well so this should be tight match.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Who's injured at the moment ?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Not sure which are still injured except Dicko and assuming no new ones last week from reports understand Ford should be available, Dell played for Hawick last week and is available, Ritchie and Tom Brown are back in training but not clear if ready for playing. Mcinally and Watson available post 6N.

SHC is the one we could do with back.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Cockers has been doing the media rounds today. Consistent theme of 'we've not achieved anything yet, we just keep working hard and see where it takes us' is exactly the tone I want to hear.

He's clearly trying to talk up the crowd for the weekend, and has understandably started making noises about hoping attendances will start to react to performances. It's early days still, but a little concerning that the crowds aren't on the rise yet, but hopefully that starts coming through as we go deep in the business end of the season.

To my mind, the team are delivering, and deserve to see a response. To be fair, we're only just 'officially' back at Murrayfield and so it may take time. Also, the Munster crowd was lower than normal because it was rearranged, and on the night before Ireland's Grand Slam decider elsewhere. Still, not getting over 5,000 was a shame.

Apparently ticket sales for the Cardiff match are around 5,000, a wee bit disappointing for a QF, but again the Easter holidays will knock out quite a few fans for this week and the Ulster games (I'll miss both, which I'm gutted about).

For me the real test will be Scarlets - after the holiday period, and hopefully we should be pushing for a 2nd / 3rd place finish, and ideally be in a European SF. Would hope by then the crowd numbers are starting to pick up.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 pm

Nd realistically Cardiff isn’t a big draw
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:26 am

For the Munster match a load of Edinburgh/Scotland fans would have been in Rome as well.

Did we not have 8-9k for the Dragons QF couple of seasons ago should surely be able to get similar for Cardiff although appreciate Easter hols will likely have an impact?

I think ER/SRU need to work a lot harder to win fans back appears to be an assumption that if we are winning that is enough. The combination of the Solly era pish rugby, a lack of consistent home ground clearly drove folk away combine that with a relatively high amount of games on TV they need to do more to get folk back be that ticket offers/bundles better promotion/marketing for example I don't think I have seen anything about the city to advertise the QF?

They really should be making every effort to get 8,9,10k in to these last few big matches especially when we are in playoff contention so that when we have a home for next season sorted, if it is c6.5-7.5k as reported, and especially if we are in the Champs cup, the reduced capacity should create greater demand for tickets maybe even sell a few more ST and start building a bigger core support.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 am

I'm surprised with the low take up so far.Would expect a reasonable travelling support from an on the up Cardiff to offset the "Easter Weekend/ school holidays" absentees.It was exactly 3 years ago we were in the QF at home to Dragons-on our run to the Final- and as posted earlier got an 8/9k crowd so be disappointing if we can't get similar especially in light of our recent run of results.
Or are a large number holding back knowing that they can of course just turn up on the day given the capacity at Murrayfield?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Quick glance at the ticket site suggest around 5k in the East stand, add on a few hundred standing and a few more in the West for hospitality and maybe 5.5k atm. Hopefully over 6k by the weekend, but it's not great is it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:22 pm

liveinhope wrote:I'm surprised with the low take up so far.Would expect a reasonable travelling support from an on the up Cardiff to offset the "Easter Weekend/ school holidays" absentees.It was exactly 3 years ago we were in the QF at home to Dragons-on our run to the Final- and as posted earlier got an 8/9k crowd so be disappointing if we can't get similar especially in light of our recent run of results.
Or are a large number holding back knowing that they can of course just turn up on the day given the capacity at Murrayfield?

Just like Edinburgh folk have holidays booked so will Cardiff people so it nayreduce their travelling support especially as on telly. I'm not convinced the walk up will vary much from game to game particularly as it costs more on the day
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Maybe there isn't so much interest in a secondary cup competition against a familiar team.

Still disappointing from the Edinburgh public though. The team is fulfilling their part of the bargain - winning games, good attitude on the pitch, decent enough rugby and plenty of young local players. Not many excuses left for folk not to go now.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:28 pm

robdinsdale wrote:... Not many excuses left for folk not to go now.

This is Edinburgh remember, If you recall some of the factors listed on social meda etc when we moved to Myreside and again when games were moved back to Murrayfield, was it not things like

Cockers won’t give me a piggy back to the ground
Preferred the 2016 kit
Trams are only every 12mins I would go if they are every 10mins
Wind is blowing the wrong way
No waiter service to the seats
Only watch if my favourite player is selected
Somebody cheered/shouted next to me last time I was there, didn't like it.
Not interested until the half time drunks on space hoppers are back.
The ball is not as egg shaped as they used to be
The grass is heated but seats aren't WTF!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:42 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

This is Edinburgh remember, If you recall some of the factors listed on social meda etc when we moved to Myreside and again when games were moved back to Murrayfield, was it not things like

Preferred the 2016 kit

:lol: :lol: :lol: Crying laughing here!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:12 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

Preferred the 2016 kit

Sounds about right.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:33 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Nd realistically Cardiff isn’t a big draw

Bigger draw than Dragons were surely? Certainly much better side.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

Preferred the 2016 kit

A few missing and a bit understated, but keep up the good work.
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum