Edinburgh v Cardiff

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Cardiff

Postby jodo on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm

liveinhope wrote:I'm surprised with the low take up so far.Would expect a reasonable travelling support from an on the up Cardiff to offset the "Easter Weekend/ school holidays" absentees.It was exactly 3 years ago we were in the QF at home to Dragons-on our run to the Final- and as posted earlier got an 8/9k crowd so be disappointing if we can't get similar especially in light of our recent run of results.
Or are a large number holding back knowing that they can of course just turn up on the day given the capacity at Murrayfield?

We played Dragons in the SF which goes some way to explaining the bigger turn-out. It wasn't a holiday weekend either - I do know of at couple of friends who would go but can't make it.
jodo
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Apoologies-you're quite right it was the SF v Dragons. We beat London Irish away by the skin of our teeth (or the length of Dickinson's forearm under the ball on the last play!)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:55 pm

jodo wrote:
liveinhope wrote:I'm surprised with the low take up so far.Would expect a reasonable travelling support from an on the up Cardiff to offset the "Easter Weekend/ school holidays" absentees.It was exactly 3 years ago we were in the QF at home to Dragons-on our run to the Final- and as posted earlier got an 8/9k crowd so be disappointing if we can't get similar especially in light of our recent run of results.
Or are a large number holding back knowing that they can of course just turn up on the day given the capacity at Murrayfield?

We played Dragons in the SF which goes some way to explaining the bigger turn-out. It wasn't a holiday weekend either - I do know of at couple of friends who would go but can't make it.

Set against that, it was during Sollyball era when we were apparently awful to watch (albeit the Dragons game was fantastic)
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:02 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:... Not many excuses left for folk not to go now.

This is Edinburgh remember, If you recall some of the factors listed on social meda etc when we moved to Myreside and again when games were moved back to Murrayfield, was it not things like

Cockers won’t give me a piggy back to the ground
Preferred the 2016 kit
Trams are only every 12mins I would go if they are every 10mins
Wind is blowing the wrong way
No waiter service to the seats
Only watch if my favourite player is selected
Somebody cheered/shouted next to me last time I was there, didn't like it.
Not interested until the half time drunks on space hoppers are back.
The ball is not as egg shaped as they used to be
The grass is heated but seats aren't WTF!

I don't like Cockerill, he's English
They don't throw it about like they used to under Bradley - it's all about winning these days
Is Tim playing?
Murrayfield has no atmosphere
I miss Myreside, especially the toilets
Too many Saffers
I don't like the new flood defences, I preferred under Bradley when we didn't have a defence
Rugby should be played on a muddy field preferably with nematodes, not this new fangled hybrid cr@p
I don't like the new posts, the old ones were better - I'll come back when they bring them back from Caithness
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:09 pm

New Gunner wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

This is Edinburgh remember, If you recall some of the factors listed on social meda etc when we moved to Myreside and again when games were moved back to Murrayfield, was it not things like

Preferred the 2016 kit

They don't throw it about like they used to under Bradley - it's all about winning these days
Is Tim playing?
Too many Saffers
I don't like the new flood defences, I preferred under Bradley when we didn't have a defence
Rugby should be played on a muddy field preferably with nematodes, not this new fangled hybrid cr@p
I don't like the new posts, the old ones were better - I'll come back when they bring them back from Caithness

It should be the clubs that are getting the money
I swore I wouldn’t go back when McKie was in charge and I’m sticking by that
They let Geoff Cross go
I have to bring my own tartan rug
The chaps I went to school with at Merchie only go to internationals so I won’t be able to find out how Farquhar is getting on
I can’t get my debenture seat in the upper west so I’m not going until my lawsuit about this is completed
I can’t get a pint of Threpellwhites Masked Genius Batshagger IPA
One of the security guards looked at me funny
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:23 pm

Well played Biffer :lol:

It's all Farquhar's fault.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GunnerRob on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:39 pm

biffer wrote:
New Gunner wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

Preferred the 2016 kit

Is Tim playing?
Too many Saffers

It should be the clubs that are getting the money
I swore I wouldn’t go back when McKie was in charge and I’m sticking by that
They let Geoff Cross go
I have to bring my own tartan rug
The chaps I went to school with at Merchie only go to internationals so I won’t be able to find out how Farquhar is getting on
I can’t get my debenture seat in the upper west so I’m not going until my lawsuit about this is completed
I can’t get a pint of Threpellwhites Masked Genius Batshagger IPA
One of the security guards looked at me funny

I'm sensing a new banner!
GunnerRob
International

Postby biffer on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:37 pm

So, team - the vast majority of the team are fit, so what'll it be?

Lay
McInally
Nel
Toolis
Gilchrist
Bradbury
Mata
Watson
SHC
VdW
VdM
Dean
Bennett
Fife
Kinghorn

at a guess, but there are choices to be made all over the place - Berghan has been in great form, Dell and Marfo returning, MacKenzie, CdP, Crosbie, Ritchie, Fowles, all will come into consideration. Good position to be in wrt fitness and injuries at this time of the season, with potentially six big games on consecutive weekends (in theory as many as nine but that would involve the challenge cup final and the pro14 final).
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Marfo ahead of Lay, I would have thought, and wouldn't be surprised if Dean was out after his clash of heads in the Connacht game.

Couple of tough bench calls too - Ford supposed to be fit again (but would be very rusty) so could be Cochrane. Similar issue in terms of Dell/Lay
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:14 pm

May depend if Cockerill has an eye on Ulster and effectively securing 3rd place the following week, I suspect not, so for me I think Marfo and Berghan start, Bradbury and Mata hard to drop as both in good form and while it is harsh on Hardie who also played well Watson is our best 7 so he comes in for me.

If fit Dell to the bench ahead of Lay, Cochrane (possibly Ford if he is fit), Nel, McKenzie/Carmichael, CDP/Hardie/Crosbie, Fowles, Weir, Johnstone/Burleigh

Good to be getting guys back that will undoubtedly boost the squad for the run in we are probably in better shape than most although have had our share of injuries earlier in the season. Huge credit is due to those that have really stood up throughout this time and got us into the position to challenge on two fronts

Marfo
McInally
Berghan
Toolis
Gilchrist
Bradbury
Mata
Watson
SHC
VdW
VdM
Dean
Bennett
Fife
Kinghorn
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:13 pm

With the squad looking better and better with injured guys coming back then there are some very difficult calls to be made. However, with 4 very difficult home games coming up I suspect that Cockerill is looking to maximise squad over the next 3-4 weeks so it may be down to combinations and horses for courses.

For example I thought Berghan had a fantastic 6Ns but against a smaller, squat Buckley last week he struggled. Buckley managed to get under him all game and at 6'4" Berghan is tall for a TH. Nel steadied the ship when he came on. So I think Cockerill will be looking closely at the LH opposition over next few weeks and rotate Nel/Berghan as appropriate.

Ditto with the back row, where he will choose between Hardie's sheer physicality at the breakdown and Watson's more dynamic carrying game. I suspect Watson will play to combat Navidi on Saturday. It will be good to see both McInally and Ford back to give us some real grunt in the front row.

However I suspect we will see SHC start all the games if available as Fowles was just so bad last week we can't afford his slowness at the breakdown and poor kicking. The rest of the backs pick themselves and will probably play all the games with perhaps a bit of rotation on the wing with Harries coming in for Fife?

For Cardiff I think we can give them a good going over up front and expect to see us dominate them in scrum and the breakdown. They may struggle with our aggression and I can see us doing well with our mauls. After that it really is up to how well SHC plays, if he is on his game then we could run in a few tries, if not and we end up with the box kicking game then it might be tighter than we would like as Cardiff have a few handy runners from deep.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Marfo named on Sonians bench for Saturday, and Harries starts for them on wing. Looks like Sutherland or Dell will be in the frame alongside Lay (assume Lay is named in Euro squad pool?). The piece also mentioned Kyle Whyte has left to take up a contract in SA with the Sharks.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:01 am

Interesting, I think Dell and Margo would be too much of a risk with both just back, one of them may have needed to play 70 mins. Is Mccallum fit?

It is hard to tell where this game ranks, while it is nice to get to a semi, realistically finishing as high as possible in the league is the priority. Also if we make the play offs the euro game could be a distraction, so we could be stretched quite thin.

I'd like to see weir rewarded with a start, also SHC needs to come back in. I'd give Gilcho a week off and play McKenzie. Good to have Gord back too, so would put him on the bench. We have at least 2 sets of back row so we can mix that a bit and not weaken.

Back 3 is where we have least options with Graham and Bryce away, I just don't rate Harries so the rest really have to play, I'm sure JJ could play in the wing without any problems.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:47 am

Ford playing for Melrose tomorrow according to ER twitter.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:34 am

The Feral Goat wrote:

Preferred the 2016 kit

Edinburgh folk are indeed a fickle lot :lol:
Legless
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum