Ulster - Edinburgh (16/02/2018)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ulster - Edinburgh (16/02/2018)

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Just putting it out there, almost certainly the schiehallion talking, but we are only seven behind leinster and Scarlets now who play each other tomorrow and again before end of season. Scarlets in particular have a tough run in. :) onwards and upwards
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:34 pm

The Chiel wrote:
biffer wrote:Well.

That was nice.

Yes it was. And hands up all those who nearly burst their boilers at the DG not being taken the play before and having to risk the scrum with Owens getting increasingly ratty ?

Still, alls well that ends well, hey ? Some real grit shown there - well done all.

He was getting very ratty wasn’t he? Didn’t get his cocoa at half time?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Just putting it out there, almost certainly the schiehallion talking, but we are only seven behind leinster and Scarlets now who play each other tomorrow and again before end of season. Scarlets in particular have a tough run in. :) onwards and upwards

Let’s just concern ourselves with Drags next week
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 am

GaryIPA wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Just putting it out there, almost certainly the schiehallion talking, but we are only seven behind leinster and Scarlets now who play each other tomorrow and again before end of season. Scarlets in particular have a tough run in. :) onwards and upwards

Let’s just concern ourselves with Drags next week

That reality is for the players & coaches to deal with, we can dream that we can do better than Glasgow did down there :D

Meanwhile, Ulster are away to Scarlets next
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:55 am

I watched the Glasgow game but had my eye on the edinburgh twitter feed. Jumped for joy when I saw that YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Really pleasing to see edinburgh be competitive and winning games they would of lost probably handily last season. What are the chances of Cockers staying beyond his current 2 year contract to really make something of this team?
David990
International

Postby New Gunner on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:19 am

David990 wrote:I watched the Glasgow game but had my eye on the edinburgh twitter feed. Jumped for joy when I saw that YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Really pleasing to see edinburgh be competitive and winning games they would of lost probably handily last season. What are the chances of Cockers staying beyond his current 2 year contract to really make something of this team?

Quite good I think - he's talking regularly about a 3-5 year plan, he's moved the family lock stock and barrel to Edinburgh, and was a loyal long-term coach at Leicester. Fingers crossed...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:10 am

New Gunner wrote:
David990 wrote:I watched the Glasgow game but had my eye on the edinburgh twitter feed. Jumped for joy when I saw that YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Really pleasing to see edinburgh be competitive and winning games they would of lost probably handily last season. What are the chances of Cockers staying beyond his current 2 year contract to really make something of this team?

Quite good I think - he's talking regularly about a 3-5 year plan, he's moved the family lock stock and barrel to Edinburgh, and was a loyal long-term coach at Leicester. Fingers crossed...

And he's always talked about four or five years to turn the team around. He also talked about the attraction of building his own team from a low point. I think he is here for a while.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 am

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter even if waiting till the last play to win doesn’t do my nerves any good. All the squad put in shift and belief within the squad must be building, this season might just end too soon for us, it will be a long summer with no games to go to.

Wife was even roaring at the telly to gee them on, she’s usually more reserved, even in the hoose! Now demanding an away trip next season, seems like a plan.

Off to download the Glasgow game from Alba and watch that.

Yes too many silly penalties but thought N.O. was a bit more particular than normal in his decisions.
Pitfitter

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:47 am

Dramatic but deserved win, and I didn't see that coming beforehand. Not to downplay our performance in any way, but perhaps Ulster just aren't as good a team as I (and perhaps others) had thought. When a club is around the top end of the game for years you sort of assume that's where they'll stay, but there must be a reason why they sacked their coach recently.

Cockers is deservedly getting lots of praise, but I suspect the other coaches are having an input to our turnaround as well. MacRae is certainly building himself a successful CV.

Anyway, these are good times for us very long-suffering Edinburgh supporters, let's hope we don't slacken off in Newport next week.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 am

Frenchy wrote:
gunneria wrote:Haha BBC NI had updated the table for an Ulster win....Arrogant not.

Was the same on the BBC website - probably centralised.

The English paper version of The Times this morning has printed the score as Ulster winning 16 - 14 . . . .
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Old West Stand on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 am

Tremendous win for Edinburgh last night.
Well done everyone.
It's building towards a potentially very exciting end to the season.
Old West Stand
Established pro

Postby Weegie on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:21 am

Last night showed (as if any on here needed reminding) that Edinburgh have come a long way, but are still a work in progress. They had enough opportunities to win that comfortably, fine margins went against them, but they also made some foolish errors and gave away poor penalties. That last few percent of composure and nous is still not there to put the final polish on the guts, application, doggedness and no little skill on show. If they keep going with the later, the former will come.

As a supporter any team that puts themselves on the line and just will not give up are a pleasure to support. Far too often in the past Edinburgh teams have metaphorically shrugged their shoulders and let games go, not now.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Great result!

You can literally see the confidence building in the squad in recent weeks. They look like they are beginning to believe in themselves now. To beat Leinster and Ulster in a couple of weeks is a big step forward for us. Pleased that CdP, SHC and Weir played their part despite announcing they are off. Real squad belief and togetherness being developed by Cockerill. Really pleasing to see the young guys all play their part - Carmichael was a real star and he took his try very very well. MacKenzie stood out as a real leader.

Still lots of work to do. Ulster were a shadow of previous teams plus in between coaches and off field issues. However you still need to beat the team in front of you, and the noisy home crowd, and we did both in spades.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:45 pm

The only slight concern is VdW. His goalkicking has been poor and out of hand not been great either. He struggled last night. It maybe doesn't help that Dean is still learning his trade at 12. Will be interesting to see who is picked for the Dragons.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm

VdW is a worry for me too, his kicking to touch is poor and at the posts is costing us points and that could be the difference in the result one night.
Pitfitter

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum