Ulster - Edinburgh (16/02/2018)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ulster - Edinburgh (16/02/2018)

Postby Oldsalt on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Watching last weeks match and the game last night R. Cockerill is getting the squad to all go down the right path.
How many times a few seasons ago we were bemoaning the fact that the team did not play for 80 minutes. Now they are!
Some stupid penalties aside that was quite a powerful performance, Mckenzie and Carmichael were outstanding all night. Best game by SHC in a long long time.
I was not in favour about recruiting Mr Cockerill as coach but if he keeps doing what he's doing I (we) might just take up a season ticket again.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Biggest worry is an English or French club sees what Cockers has done and then flashes cash at him.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:58 pm

So trying poorly not to be smug, but we decided to go over to Belfast for this one. 1st trip to Ravenhill. Absolutely brilliant, the whole experience. Fantastic stadium and we were made very welcome by everyone we encountered. Slight calf strain after an over exuberant post drop goal celebration.

If you have never been, it’s a low cost one For your bucket list. We will be back next year for sure.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Well done sir-lucky man! I had meant to ask if it was just me but seemed on the final whistle/drop goal that there was quite a big cheer heard rather than the expected stony silence.
Did you notice quite a number of Edinburgh supporters as I would have expected a maximum of about ten but the noise sounded like quite a reasonable following?
(Oh and any chance SHC and management can kiss and make up -compromise half way on salary-so he can re-sign for next season? Trying to explain to other half that both he and Duncan Weir aren't getting kept on next season was next to impossible!)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:25 pm

liveinhope wrote:Well done sir-lucky man! I had meant to ask if it was just me but seemed on the final whistle/drop goal that there was quite a big cheer heard rather than the expected stony silence.
Did you notice quite a number of Edinburgh supporters as I would have expected a maximum of about ten but the noise sounded like quite a reasonable following?
(Oh and any chance SHC and management can kiss and make up -compromise half way on salary-so he can re-sign for next season? Trying to explain to other half that both he and Duncan Weir aren't getting kept on next season was next to impossible!)

I suppose in Cockers we trust. SHC is a big loss from a goalkicking perspective. We really need Hickey to be 80% plus. Otherwise we might need Fowles or Kinghorn to step up.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Ulster are poor and in crisis, so a win was always on the cards. But a win over there is always a good win which tastes very pleasant indeed. Felt we should have won more comfortably, left it ever so slightly late, but got over the line
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 pm

liveinhope wrote:(Oh and any chance SHC and management can kiss and make up -compromise half way on salary-so he can re-sign for next season? Trying to explain to other half that both he and Duncan Weir aren't getting kept on next season was next to impossible!)

SHC had a first half which was excellent. Head screwed on ad his pass was sharp and accurate. Then reverted to what has become his norm. the ability is there the concentration and application isn't. He might find its a harder less forgiving world outside his comfort zone if he doesn't sort that.

Weir I feel sorry for. Hasn't happened for him here and injury has mainly kept him out just as Edinburgh started to step up. Releasing the only Scottish 10 playing who can drop a goal, need to hope he gets a decent spot elsewhere and proves his worth.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Wottie wrote:So trying poorly not to be smug, but we decided to go over to Belfast for this one..

Interested in this next year, did you fly over in the afternoon and stay Friday night or a late flight home, any ideas/advise appreciated.
Pitfitter

Postby Wottie on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Pitfitter wrote:
Wottie wrote:So trying poorly not to be smug, but we decided to go over to Belfast for this one..

Interested in this next year, did you fly over in the afternoon and stay Friday night or a late flight home, any ideas/advise appreciated.

EasyJet flight out 10.20 on Friday and returned on Saturday evening at 19.10. Took in the Malone v Blackrock College game on the Saturday. Would stay a 2nd night next time and see a bit more of the city. Belfast City Airport a lot closer to town but flights didn’t work as well and Flymaybe on that sector. Only a 25 minute flight!!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks Wottie, I like to plan ahead. Keeps SWMBO happy(ish)
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Other half just used airnb got a place near the ground and hired a car as cheaper than busses in and out
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Other half just used airnb got a place near the ground and hired a car as cheaper than busses in and out

HIre cars wouldn't really have worked for us! :wink:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:27 pm

One other thing from the game - I thought Chris Dean was excellent. 15 tackles made, none missed, carried 12 times for 35 metres and it was him getting across the gain line, drawing in an extra man to the breakdown and putting us onto the front foot which led to both tries.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:35 pm

biffer wrote:One other thing from the game - I thought Chris Dean was excellent. 15 tackles made, none missed, carried 12 times for 35 metres and it was him getting across the gain line, drawing in an extra man to the breakdown and putting us onto the front foot which led to both tries.

He is quietly becoming very effective at 12, it seems to suit him better.

Also, Jordan Lay was outstanding, I haven’t looked at his stats yet but he was carrying very well, hitting rucks, and making tackles. He was also solid in the tight and the lineout functioned well bar one which seemed to be all about the timing when Cochrane had stepped onto the pitch before throwing.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Oldsalt wrote:Watching last weeks match and the game last night R. Cockerill is getting the squad to all go down the right path.
How many times a few seasons ago we were bemoaning the fact that the team did not play for 80 minutes. Now they are!
Some stupid penalties aside that was quite a powerful performance, Mckenzie and Carmichael were outstanding all night. Best game by SHC in a long long time.
I was not in favour about recruiting Mr Cockerill as coach but if he keeps doing what he's doing I (we) might just take up a season ticket again.

I was of a similar view, very happy to be proven wrong.
Last edited by sammy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum