An Email to Edinburgh Rugby

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

An Email to Edinburgh Rugby

Postby Flinty's Barmy Army on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 am

Dear Mr Petrie

RESERVED SEATING

Just over a year since I contacted Edinburgh Rugby about poor customer service I am forced to do so again.

Once more ER have seen fit to renege on their contract with supporters who have paid for a reserved seat. Supporters who have shown loyalty to ER but are rarely shown this in return.

My wife and I have been Edinburgh Rugby season ticket holders since the team played at Meadowbank. We also purchase a season ticket for our young son even though he cannot make every match. Each year we have purchased Gold tickets to ensure that we are guaranteed seats together with our friends. We have travelled to many away fixtures years to support the team. We have also purchased merchandise on numerous occasions, as much to support ER rather than an actual need for it. We purchase match day programmes and by draw tickets at each game. I appreciate that on a purely business sense, each transaction stands by its own merit and bears no relation to each other. However the very nature that they are all linked directly to ER would suggest that they are emotionally linked. This is what brand loyalty is about. You are always keen to promote Edinburgh as a family and that the team and fans grow together. To do this you have to support each other.

Yesterday, I received 2 emails advising that ER would be playing their remaining matches at Murrayfield. I have no problem with this. Several hours later I found out via Twitter that we would no longer have reserved seats. I am still waiting on official notification.

My family and friends purchase reserved seats in order to guarantee being able to sit together to enjoy the game. Through work and other commitments we can usually only arrive a few minutes before kick-off. I know we will be able to find seats at Murrayfield but that is not the point. We have paid for a reserved seat so we should be provided with a reserved seat.

You have designated 2 sections for Gold Season Ticket holders, with a capacity of just over 1300 seats. I am not sure how many supporters have paid for reserved seating but, in previous seasons, this has never been close to being full and that is with only section 9 being reserved. Surely to goodness it is not beyond the capabilities of your organisation to transfer the details of reserved seats from Myreside to Murrayfield? You manged to do it the other way round. Or are ER just being lazy and treating their supporters with contempt?

Further, you may have designated this area for Gold Season Ticket holders but I guarantee you will not steward this properly. Anyone will be able to wander into this area from other sections thereby reducing the number of seats available. Personally, I am not bothered about people sitting in reserved seats that haven’t been purchased, I just want to guarantee that my family, friends and I have seats that we have paid for and can sit together without having to track each other down.

So how can this situation be resolved?

From my point of view, the obvious answer is to issue tickets for reserved seats for the remaining games, including the Glasgow game to everyone who has paid for a reserved seat. If you are not willing to do this, then clearly you should refund, pro rata, every Gold Season ticket holder for the remaining games.

Whatever decision you reach, please ensure that you have considered customer loyalty and the potential effect a poor decision could have on future ticket sales.

Can you please supply a written response as there is no need for discussion. I have stated my position.

For your information, I will be posting this email on the Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Forum.

Regards
Flinty's Barmy Army
International

Re: An Email to Edinburgh Rugby

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:38 am

I suspect you'll get flipped off

sadly
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 am

It's great saying things like 'renege on their contract' when you've obviously not read the terms and conditions of sale that say they're allowed to do it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 am

Pretty much guaranteed you will get a response, you might not like it but you will get a response.

Is it really an issue though? How big a group are you in and how often are there not seats available in the gold section?

The other solution is to put the Gold season tickets in the top teir then it can easily be sewardd at the bottom of the steps with a single point of entry.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 pm

biffer wrote:It's great saying things like 'renege on their contract' when you've obviously not read the terms and conditions of sale that say they're allowed to do it.

Sometimes there's more to it than T&C
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:08 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
biffer wrote:It's great saying things like 'renege on their contract' when you've obviously not read the terms and conditions of sale that say they're allowed to do it.

Indeed there is but I think Biffer's point is that is it may be pish Customer Service, but its not a Breach of Contract.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Also emailed before FBA.

I've followed Edinburgh since the first time at Myreside. I still follow Edinburgh even though I live 100 miles away now. I was one of those who paid for the premium seats in the west stand as for my own reasons convenience is very important to me. I have gone with the flow over the years, but this is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

I was quite happy at Myreside, I was quite happy at Murrayfield. There was one thing that mattered to me which was the guarantee I could turn up at any time and still be sitting with friends in a good seat.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby GunnerRob on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:12 pm

We're in a similar boat re 'Gold' season tickets, they weren't really worth getting.

We paid extra to get side-on seats (essentially what we all had at Murrayfield) as standing for the full game is not possible for everyone in our group and because the view from seats behind the goals is poor.

We can get to the stadium in plenty of time so don't need reserved seats to all sit together. As it's turned out, I think 9 of the 15 home games have/are to be played at Murrayfield this season. If we'd known this at the start of the season we won't have gone gold.
GunnerRob
International

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Wottie wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Indeed there is but I think Biffer's point is that is it may be pish Customer Service, but its not a Breach of Contract.

T&Cs can always be assessed as fair and reasonable
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Wottie wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

That is exactly my point. Making some kind of alleged legalese point when your in the wrong doesn't help you make your main point.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Flinty's Barmy Army on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Please excuse the phrase I've used to express how I feel I've been treated. I'm not trying to be some legal smart KelvinDeaker. Let's give ER a chance to respond.
Flinty's Barmy Army
International

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:03 pm

biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:

That is exactly my point. Making some kind of alleged legalese point when your in the wrong doesn't help you make your main point.

Yes and TonySpreadbury off fans who are actually Attending doesn’t really help
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:09 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Yes and TonySpreadbury off fans who are actually Attending doesn’t really help

Of course. But if you're complaining about something, making a point that's factually incorrect first up doesn't really help your complaint.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Who is Mr Petrie AKA the Invisible Man?

I wish you luck with getting a response. I have tried contacting him in a perfectly polite way about areas of concerns in the past and he hasn't even had the basic manners to acknowledge receipt, far less reply!
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 pm

biffer wrote:
Of course. But if you're complaining about something, making a point that's factually incorrect first up doesn't really help your complaint.

I really hope you don’t work in customer service
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum