Dragons - Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Dragons - Edinburgh

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 pm

gowrie wrote:
KenMavor wrote:What result do we want tomorrow then?

At full strength Scarlets are too good to miss out on the playoffs, so killing off Ulster's chances would be the best result IMO

Yeah agree with that. Scarlets run in is brutal though, dragons aside on last day all other matches are against top 3 from one of the conferences.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 pm

Scotland to win :D

I'd want us to be as clear of Ulster as we can be, so a Scarlets win. If we get to the knock outs in third place we have a real puncher's chance anywhere
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 pm

We have 4 home games and 1 away game to play - that's got to be in our favour. Finishing 3rd would be a huge achievement, if we can manage it.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:42 pm

not that bothered. Scarlets are very good at full strength, but have tough run in and are only 3 points ahead of us tonight (game in hand of course), Ulster even with a bp win tomorrow are only level with Edinburgh, have very difficult run in, are SteveWalsh and have to come here anyway,

So I'd be happy to be chasing Scarlets for 2nd, or to keep distance from Ulster. Can't get too far in front of ourselves but a play off spot is in our control, totally, with 4 out of 5 at home left. Time to show a wee bit of ambition and push on
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 am

Last edited by GaryIPA on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:23 am

joe soap wrote:

not that bothered. Scarlets are very good at full strength, but have tough run in and are only 3 points ahead of us tonight (game in hand of course), Ulster even with a bp win tomorrow are only level with Edinburgh, have very difficult run in, are SteveWalsh and have to come here anyway,

So I'd be happy to be chasing Scarlets for 2nd, or to keep distance from Ulster. Can't get too far in front of ourselves but a play off spot is in our control, totally, with 4 out of 5 at home left. Time to show a wee bit of ambition and push on

:above: This! Let’s back ourselves. We play both Ulster and Scarlets at home so a low scoring draw tomorrow in their game please and let’s take 2nd. Sure the Weegies will give us 5 at BTMF if we need them on last day!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:13 am

Wottie wrote:
joe soap wrote:

:above: This! Let’s back ourselves. We play both Ulster and Scarlets at home so a low scoring draw tomorrow in their game please and let’s take 2nd. Sure the Weegies will give us 5 at BTMF if we need them on last day!

This. Although the last bit might be unlikely. :x
Pitfitter

Postby KenMavor on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:23 am

Isn't it a complete change of scenery discussing Edinburgh getting in to the play offs rather than whether we will be 9th or 10th in the league. Have they improved that much or is it a series of events - Pro14, etc.

Do we really want Weir to go?

As it stands just now with 51 points we would be 5th in the merged tables.......oocha!!
KenMavor
International

Postby biffer on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 am

Scarlets have a really tough run in. Not unrealistic tos say they might only get 6 or 8 points from it. Particularly with the distraction of a European QF. Ulster some tough games but I think it’s just up to us. Tough but home games could play to our advantage.

Ulster H
Leinster H
Munster A
Glasgow H
Edinburgh A
Dragons A

Ulster have

Scarlets A
Glasgow H
Cardiff A
Edinburgh A
Ospreys H
Munster A

We have

Munster H
Connacht A
Ulster H
Scarlets H
Glasgow H
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:41 am

Only hindsight will tell us what result between Scarlets and Ulster is better for us. Aiming high an 8 point margin Ulster win gives us more of a shot at second place-but being pragmatic an 8 Scarlets win gives us a bit of security in the race for third. As said above though a draw (without try bonus points) would suit very nicely-however unlikely that is.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:08 pm

I wonder how many tries have been scored by hookers this season? I get the impression more have been scored from that position than any other. Cocker's influence?
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 pm

To be fair to them, don't think we can rule out Treviso as a threat to our play-off ambitions as yet either.

Apart from a trip to Dublin, they have a much easier run-in than either us, Ulster or the Scarlets (you'd assume they'd get at least 8 points against Zebre and the Kings) and they are on a pretty good run of form too. If we, Ulster and Scarlets end up taking points off each other, not impossible that they could sneak in.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Hopefully Scarlets can close out the game 58 mins Scarlets 20 Ulster 10. Our aim should be to concentrating on finishing 3rd in the conference an so guarantee European rugby in the Champions Cup. Let’s just concentrate on the next match.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm

gunneria wrote:I wonder how many tries have been scored by hookers this season? I get the impression more have been scored from that position than any other. Cocker's influence?

Seems that we’re scoring a lot from mauls this season, and it’s been the hooker at the back most of the time.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:22 pm

zt1903 wrote:
gunneria wrote:I wonder how many tries have been scored by hookers this season? I get the impression more have been scored from that position than any other. Cocker's influence?

Seems that we’re scoring a lot from mauls this season, and it’s been the hooker at the back most of the time.

Seeing the two we scored from mauls last week, they are being very well set up.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum