Edinburgh v Munster: 16Mar18 - KO 1935 - BBC Alba

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Munster: 16Mar18 - KO 1935 - BBC Alba

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Early in the week but I am looking forward to Fridays match and seeing if we can chalk up another Irish scalp.

Not really got anything but big games until the end of the season but Munster a big test and another opportunity to prove our play off credentials. They had a pretty strong squad out last week against Glasgow but we are playing well and can go into the game with a fair bit confidence and self-belief.

Hopefully we will get a decent crowd along to BTM for this one but it is often a bit of a struggle during the 6N, would be good to see us start pulling in some more fans ahead of the Ulster visit and Cardiff QF.

As an aside Edinburgh and Glasgow (v Ulster) could do each other big favours by both winning this week and helping consolidate each others league positions.

Don’t see many changes from the last couple of weeks unless there are players injured or back from injury. Bennett one that is hopefully back, any chance of getting Nel for some game time? Maybe Hoyland or Graham in for Harries to take advantage of the BTM surface.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Munster: 02Mar18 - KO 1935 - BBC Alba

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:49 am

Kinghorn is apparently available, once his hangover clears.....
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:51 am

Probably Nel and Toolis of, they need games now.

How focussed they will all be will be the issue, not easy to come down from that high, especially if there are 3 men and a dig in Murrayfield. Hopefully a bit of feel good will encourage a few more along, I might be being a bit hopeful there!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am

How focussed they will all be will be the issue, not easy to come down from that high, especially if there are 3 men and a dig in Murrayfield. Hopefully a bit of feel good will encourage a few more along, I might be being a bit hopeful there!

As soon as Myreside was binned there was an opportunity for ER to do a wee bundle deal for the run in like they have done for the Euro games in the past.

4 league matches all against good opposition (Munster, Ulster, Scarlets and Glasgow plus there is the QF v Cardiff) some sort of package with a discount or even something like buy tickets for the Munster, Ulster and Scarlets matches and get the Glasgow or QF match free, something to try and attract a few more folk in to Murrayfield a bit more frequently.

If the back pitches plan is a genuine possibility and with the team going well on the field this was a really good chance to try build the fan base, attract some new fans and those back that did not entertain project Myreside and get some looking to come back more regularly next season.

However, given the issues around moving Gold seats from Myreside to Murrayfield and the general communication and marketing think there is still a bit of room for improvement around the off field side of ER.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 am

Thats a good point on the bundle. Although if the Gold ST holders are already upset, would it upset them further if the saving they thought they were making wasn't as much? I would hope not but guarantee some sort of fuss kicked up.

I think this was done in the past with a bundle to include the likes of Treviso and Drags to try and boost the crowd? Or was that a free ticket with every ST? Agree comms and creative thinking on crowds could be better.

Huge games coming up and we need all the help we can get to make the top 3.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:02 am

Ah well that is another matter. But taking the move of seats from Myreside back to Murrayfield out of the equation if we can (which hopefully can and should be resolved satisfactorily as it is not rocket science) Gold tickets will have seats reserved in the better sections of the East stand.

It is the Silver STs that would be buying the like for like tickets. Think mine works out at less than £13 per match for the 14 home matches so say £60 for a 4 match bundle, cheaper than a single 6N ticket. I personally would not give a SteveWalsh if they were cheaper if it meant a decent boost in crowd numbers and atmosphere through the end of the season but appreciate that the entry level ST should really remain the cheapest way to access the matches.

Big Murrayfield is not the long term answer, selling out a “mini murrayfield” on the back pitches may well be, so try and start making a bit more demand for tickets ahead of next season and, Glasgow Xmas game aside, don’t move matches back into the big stadium and then I don't have to think up ticket deals that don't exist :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:24 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Thats a good point on the bundle. Although if the Gold ST holders are already upset, would it upset them further if the saving they thought they were making wasn't as much? I would hope not but guarantee some sort of fuss kicked up.

Don't think you can generalise by saying Gold ST holders are upset. I'm certainly not, and I certainly wouldn't give a flying LawrenceBryce about others getting into the stadium for less than I'm paying if it delivers a big boost to the crowd we get in for these last 5 home games. We are looking at the playoffs for the first time and being back in the big boys cup in Europe. I'm sure the boys will find the task less arduous if they can play in front of the crowd that their endeavour and results this season deserve.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 am

Wottie wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Thats a good point on the bundle. Although if the Gold ST holders are already upset, would it upset them further if the saving they thought they were making wasn't as much? I would hope not but guarantee some sort of fuss kicked up.

Don't think you can generalise by saying Gold ST holders are upset. I'm certainly not, and I certainly wouldn't give a flying LawrenceBryce about others getting into the stadium for less than I'm paying if it delivers a big boost to the crowd we get in for these last 5 home games. We are looking at the playoffs for the first time and being back in the big boys cup in Europe. I'm sure the boys will find the task less arduous if they can play in front of the crowd that their endeavour and results this season deserve.

Well said sir.

Now, how about we all concentrate on the game in this thread?

Cockerill seemed to say Kinghorn would be in the squad for this weekend, which is great, we could really do with that added threat against Munster. If there are one or tow others released - Toolis? Nel? Then we could have a pretty good side out

Lay, Cochrane, Nel, Toolis, MacKenzie, Bradbury, Mata, Ritchie if fit
Fowles, VdW, VdM, Dean, Bennett, Hoyland, Kinghorn

Sutherland, Fenton, McCallum, Carmichael, du Preez, SHC, Weir, Graham

Looks decent.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Just seen that Graham and Bryce are away with the sevens to Las Vegas. Not a bad way to avoid the Beast from the East.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Prognosis for Ritchie was a few weeks so he won't be included. Not that we are short of quality in that area.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 pm

At this stage in the week I'll just be delighted if the game goes ahead!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:20 pm

biffer wrote:
Lay, Cochrane, Nel, Toolis, MacKenzie, Bradbury, Mata, Ritchie if fit
Fowles, VdW, VdM, Dean, Bennett, Hoyland, Kinghorn

Sutherland, Fenton, McCallum, Carmichael, du Preez, SHC, Weir, Graham

I think gunneria is right wrt Ritchie, unfortunately, so Hardie at seven and Dougie Fife has to start on the wing, he's been in fine form recently. Hoyland on the pine.

I'd be very happy with that side.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:29 pm

liveinhope wrote:At this stage in the week I'll just be delighted if the game goes ahead!

We may have to start out for Edinburgh on Thursday night if the weather is as bad as forecast, just how much snow can BTM stand before the game might be in jeopardy?
Pitfitter

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 pm

The pitch will be fine, it will be the steps and in out areas which will cause problems. Hearts game on tonight, so fingers crossed the have time to tidy up on Friday.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Good little snippet of an interview with Cockerill on facebook. He phrases things in remarkably good ways - "it's in our hands and we need to make sure that we don't lose the opportunity that we have created to hopefully do something good this season"
biffer
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum