Edinburgh v Munster: 16Mar18 - KO 1935 - BBC Alba

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Munster: 16Mar18 - KO 1935 - BBC Alba

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Just keep winning
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Frenchy wrote:I thought the "if your feet are off the ground, you can play the ball after it's crossed the touchline and keep the ball in play" law had been changed.

Harries' foot was on the ground when he caught the ball, but I'm not 100% what the actual new law is.

Bradbury would have been my MoM, might have got 6 turnovers on his own, including going through their maul right at the end.

Not really a great performance, especially from the backs. Harries was pretty poor, and very lucky not to get a red for that headshot. Attack still looks pretty blunt, but defence was good especially at the ruck.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Bradbury a fair shout for mom
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Ground that out. Bradbury was good.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Not very impressed by that touch judge! Got the call wrong on harries, saw an imaginary neck roll by Toolis and he was too quick to call forward pass on the try for me
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 pm

SteveWalsh game, good win.

Loving our resilience and ability to grind out wins.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm

That is our 12th league win this season.

Last year we won 6.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Winning ugly, but a great win nonetheless, congrats to the team and coaches.

Forwards were excellent, pretty much had the upper hand and out-Munstered Munster at the breakdown. Good shift by Bradbury, Toolis and Hardie in particular, as well as solid front row. Dougie Fife looked v good tonight, he can sure step his way through the eye of the needle . With him and van der Merwe on the attack, we pose a real threat. Think we may miss SHC and Weir next term though.

That TJ was pretty awful. Hope Mata and SHC are alright, any post-match news on them?
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:33 pm

I'm a bit TonySpreadbury off after that.

The tactics were wrong, we have looked vulnerable this year when we have resorted to last year's game plan, that structured box kicking slow game is mince.
When Dougie took the game by the throat we scored, why play a conservative plan against the masters of this approach?

Munster looked tired in the second half, what not run them off their feet by upping the pace again and again?

We won, but the lesson for me is that last year's game plan should stay there.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I'm a bit TonySpreadbury off after that.

The tactics were wrong, we have looked vulnerable this year when we have resorted to last year's game plan, that structured box kicking slow game is mince.
When Dougie took the game by the throat we scored, why play a conservative plan against the masters of this approach?

Munster looked tired in the second half, what not run them off their feet by upping the pace again and again?

We won, but the lesson for me is that last year's game plan should stay there.

On the flip side, we played their game against them and beat them at it.

I'm going with a bit of forward thinking: play that game against them and then they won't expect what we've been doing recently when we meet them in the Playoffs.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 am

I am with biffer on this we went toe to toe with one of the toughest best resourced teams in the league and won without looking too troubled.

Next season we may well be a different beast and expectations higher we are night and day ahead of the last few seasons. We are a proper pain in the KelvinDeaker team to play these days.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:32 am

The Feral Goat wrote:I am with biffer on this we went toe to toe with one of the toughest best resourced teams in the league and won without looking too troubled.

Next season we may well be a different beast and expectations higher we are night and day ahead of the last few seasons. We are a proper pain in the KelvinDeaker team to play these days.

The first half was awful to watch, the try was a gem in the middle of a lot of brown stuff from both sides.

Second half we did grunt. There was a particular 5-10 minutes of phase after phases of possession where we didn’t go anywhere but the ball was ours and we were never going to lose it. That was hugely demoralising for them because that’s what they do to other teams. Wasn’t pretty but it was professional.

We ground one of the teams that is most reknowned for grinding for 70 odd minutes and scored two fine tries. Damn good night in my opinion.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:45 am

The match thread on munsterfans is a very good indication of just how SteveWalsh a game that was. They’re brutally honest on there - the phrase ‘that was a special effort to make the second half worse than the first’ is particularly choice. Hard to argue with the abou5 the quality of the rugby tonight.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:32 am

biffer wrote:The match thread on munsterfans is a very good indication of just how SteveWalsh a game that was. They’re brutally honest on there - the phrase ‘that was a special effort to make the second half worse than the first’ is particularly choice. Hard to argue with the abou5 the quality of the rugby tonight.

From their point of view yes. I thought the 2nd half was impressive - just look at the tackle stats. That was pretty much their first choice front 5 and they didn't get any change from us.

Only concern is we will be losing 4 experienced members of that pack next year in Cochrane, CDP, Hardie and Lay. We'll be weaker as a result.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:29 am

macdone wrote:
biffer wrote:The match thread on munsterfans is a very good indication of just how SteveWalsh a game that was. They’re brutally honest on there - the phrase ‘that was a special effort to make the second half worse than the first’ is particularly choice. Hard to argue with the abou5 the quality of the rugby tonight.

From their point of view yes. I thought the 2nd half was impressive - just look at the tackle stats. That was pretty much their first choice front 5 and they didn't get any change from us.

Only concern is we will be losing 4 experienced members of that pack next year in Cochrane, CDP, Hardie and Lay. We'll be weaker as a result.

We had nearly 80% possession in the second half. Choked them out of the game.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum