TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

Postby joe soap on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:50 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Annoying Alba is being lost but the league needs more money.

I'll subscribe to watch Edinburgh and Glasgow games.

is the league getting more money? Not clear to me that it is. You'll be lucky to get 2 Scot team live matches a month.

If it was the best bid - as reported it was - then yes the league is getting more money. Can't imagine Alba were paying much if anything.

I reckon it'll be better than that. They'll change the schedule and have more games on Saturdays and Sundays to cover. 1930 Friday, 1230 1500 1700 1900 Saturday and 1400 1600 Sunday I reckon. All the games in there.

the starting point is Pro14 not being interested in SKY's wish to bid for a combined British & Irish rights. So Sky didn't bid and Irish rights went uncontested to EIR (who own the Irish part of Setanta, remember them?). Hard to see how making sure there is only 1 bid is ensuring the best bid!.
So to Scotland, NI and Wales. BBC bid, substantially increased their current offer, but Pro14 gave the bid to a presumably higher offer from Premier Sport. Now the highest monetary bid isn't necessarily the best bid, it depends on how much more money was offered. The lesson from other sports and from English Prem rugby is that pay to view gets lower viewing figures than free to view. Fewer viewers means less money from advertisers and sponsoring companies - less exposure. Some sponsors may feel it isn't worth it, or at least not at current value.
So the higher bid will need to be sufficiently higher to offset the losses from other income streams during the life of the deal (and remembering that it is much easier to lose a sponsor than to get one to sign up. And one lost is going to be very wary of coming back on board.

And the BBC may have moved on if we need to go back, remembering that Premier Sports was founded and run by the team who ran and folded Setanta UK.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:56 am

English prem rugby is going from strength to strength with increased TV money? One of the reasons we have to increase the TV money we bring in is them doing so well.

Participation is fair enough, that assumes casual viewers are brought in by BBC alba showing alright games on a Friday night. I'd like to see the figures. I don't think people who aren't interested in rugby turning on to watch a game they've little interest in, in an language they can't understand. I think the people who watch alba already like rugby a fair bit.

Very little pro sport that's not on pay TV now. Sad but it is what it is. If the extra cash helps our key men stay then I'm all for it.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:07 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:English prem rugby is going from strength to strength with increased TV money? One of the reasons we have to increase the TV money we bring in is them doing so well.

Participation is fair enough, that assumes casual viewers are brought in by BBC alba showing alright games on a Friday night. I'd like to see the figures. I don't think people who aren't interested in rugby turning on to watch a game they've little interest in, in an language they can't understand. I think the people who watch alba already like rugby a fair bit.

Very little pro sport that's not on pay TV now. Sad but it is what it is. If the extra cash helps our key men stay then I'm all for it.

Fair summary . Respective spouses may not be to happy at 2 hours heedrum ho
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 am

As a season ticket holder we'll be at the game so it makes no sense for us to pay to be able to view a match we're attending, then at weekends when not at a game I have other things to do, plus the season doesn't run 12 months, could we subscribe for part of a year? I wouldn't think so. Not a good move in my opinion, but as usual I don'y suppose that matters, it doesn't at home or work :lol: .
Pitfitter

Postby biffer on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:40 am

Pitfitter wrote:As a season ticket holder we'll be at the game so it makes no sense for us to pay to be able to view a match we're attending, then at weekends when not at a game I have other things to do, plus the season doesn't run 12 months, could we subscribe for part of a year? I wouldn't think so. Not a good move in my opinion, but as usual I don'y suppose that matters, it doesn't at home or work :lol: .

I'm a season ticket holder as well, but having some more coherent coverage of the league as a whole, and being able to watch all the other games in one place has an attraction.

I posted this on the weeg board, copied here

The Pro14 will probably be the most high profile thing on premiersports. So less likely to be shoved to unusual hours to accommodate anything else they have.

Worth noting as well that two of the Wendyball Premier league packages are still to be had.

In terms of kickoff times it's entirely possible to have two games on a Friday night - one at 5.30/6pm from safferland then a 7.30 or 8 kickoff in the UK. Three games on a Saturday and two on a Sunday maybe.

Wrt money, with the total being £11.5 million before the saffers came on board, and if Wales Online is to be believed about the numbers (yes, I know that's a stretch) then Sky were paying £6 million for the UK & Ireland TV rights. If the beeb upped their bid from the previous £4.5-5 million, say to £6, and were beaten, and Sky went with the same again and were beaten in Ireland, then I'd guess we're talking in total somewhere around £5million extra across the league. so £300-400k per team. I'd love to be surprised and find out that it's jumped by £1million a team but I doubt it, and we'll never find out.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:53 am

I want this coverage to work. I want to Pro14 to complete. I want us to get the financial backing so Cockers can whip Edinburgh into not only a Champions Cup side but one that compete in the later stages.

BBC alba is a regional language channel, we're not losing regular coherent coverage on BBC or anything. None of us know what figures Alba get but I'm guessing it's really not that high.

The league needs money, the SRU needs money. This is good for the game.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:44 pm

PremierSports also have a free channel on Freeview called FreeSports (Ch 95). I'm sure that the Pro14 said things about maintaining some free to air coverage, so it might be done through that? It'd also allow them to broadcast more than one game on a Friday night for example.

If there's a package where one or two games a week are on FreeSports and another three or four on PremierSports, all on the same broadcaster, widespread free to air coverage, comprehensive highlights / magazine show, that doesn't sound like too bad a set up.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Is there.more money? Looks more like a mess up of the bidding process. You would expect a sizeable increase for an exclusive deal and I'm not holding my breath for that announcement.

Is nobody else worried about even more control of the league residing in Dublin?
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Periscope anyone?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 pm

gunneria wrote:Is there.more money? Looks more like a mess up of the bidding process. You would expect a sizeable increase for an exclusive deal and I'm not holding my breath for that announcement.

Is nobody else worried about even more control of the league residing in Dublin?

It certainly seems odd to turn down a major broadcaster like Sky and a useful clutch of regional BBC channels, who together were at least delivering a pretty useful service - the majority of it FTA - in favour of a small, unproven Irish-based outfit talking up big numbers. I wonder if Premier had been Scots, Welsh, Italian or N Irish, whether they would even have got on the pitch list?

Hope it works out. Anayl needs to put some flesh on the bones now, as he seems to be expecting us all to fork out £120 a year.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Not heard a thing about this subject. Makes you wonder if everything is not going to plan.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 pm

gunneria wrote:Not heard a thing about this subject. Makes you wonder if everything is not going to plan.

I am about to change my Sky / BT arrangements, and a couple of weeks ago messaged the PRO14, SRU, Edinburgh & Glasgow to ask when they would be in a position to confirm UK TV coverage for next season so that I could plan subscriptions.

Not a dicky bird in response. And nothing on the Premier Sports site.

I agree everything is probably not going to plan - possibly after the big outcry at the loss of the PRO14 to free to air. There is a part of me that genuinely hopes it's all gone belly up - although tbf if the financials are published and Premier are paying far more than the others, then I may have to wind my neck in.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:23 pm

Premier Sports confirmed ALL Matches to be shown, probably means a few more Sat/Sun matches. Positive first impression.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/04 ... st-live-hd
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Every game shown live, with one per weekend on Freeview. It'll be interesting to see how this is worked out, but they are also launching a Premier Sports 2 channel substantially because of the Pro14 coverage which might mean some games overlapping, or 2 on a Friday night. It'll definitely lead to fewer Friday night games overall though. I suppose a lot depends on when they think the best audience for free games is, Friday night or Saturday afternoon.

However, having a channel which is putting effort in to broadcasting the league as a whole, rather than just their own teams, with hopefully some good pre and post match analysis and highlights/ round up programme (and maybe a weekly magazine show?) is a good thing to my mind, and helps to present the league as one product rather than a hotch potch which is what it looks like now. That then helps when the rights come up again in the future (assuming it's successful).

I also note it mentions increased revenue from the deal. Good.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Some chatter that the overall TV income will be about £30 million per year, up from around £18 million this year. Nice bit of business tbh.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum