TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

Postby disco on Wed May 02, 2018 12:01 am

sammy wrote:If I read it right most games will be on a Saturday, if that's the case then a season ticket will just not make any sense for me. Have had a season ticket for 3/4 years, but this seems like the end of the road. I'm sure I'll not be the only one that will not manage Saturdays regularly. I don't have Sky or Virgin so will not be able to play back the games either so will find Edinburgh rugby very difficult to follow going forwards.

Not sure what the butler comment is about.

You don't need Sky or Virgin. There's an app - have it on your desktop, laptop, tablet, get it on your telly with Chromecast or a Fire stick etc.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 pm

biffer wrote:40% of our homes games this season were on a Saturday.

Really? it certainly didn't feel like it.
STKS
International

Postby sammy on Wed May 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks Disco, however I'm less interested in the TV that having the ability to go to the games. The social aspect is a big part my enjoyment.

Biffer, only 2 pro14 games were on a Sat outside of the 1872 games, I think, but as you mention the autumn and six nations I'm also a little concerned games will clash with the Internationals too.

I will wait and see what is announced with the season tickets, while the season ticket is good for habit forming you don't need one to guarantee at Edinburgh, and you don't need to miss many games for the season ticket value to not add up. I thought I'd read somewhere that Glasgow were committed to Fri at Scotstoun so maybe the Scottish team will get the Friday slots.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu May 03, 2018 7:39 am

sammy wrote:Thanks Disco, however I'm less interested in the TV that having the ability to go to the games. The social aspect is a big part my enjoyment.

Biffer, only 2 pro14 games were on a Sat outside of the 1872 games, I think, but as you mention the autumn and six nations I'm also a little concerned games will clash with the Internationals too.

I will wait and see what is announced with the season tickets, while the season ticket is good for habit forming you don't need one to guarantee at Edinburgh, and you don't need to miss many games for the season ticket value to not add up. I thought I'd read somewhere that Glasgow were committed to Fri at Scotstoun so maybe the Scottish team will get the Friday slots.

Point I’m making is this ‘most games will be on a saturday’ statement you made is that that is the current situation. Most Pro14 games are on a Saturday. Also, even on the way coverage was set up this season, more success would make for more Saturday games as Sky get first pick. One broadcaster might make this more flexible.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gone south on Thu May 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Ulster and Glasgow seem to have a preference for Friday's for home games.
The Italians, remaining IRFU teams and the Welsh seem to prefer Saturdays (although Newport and the Sprays play when they are told due to the ground sharing)
I don't think I've ever seen a preference logged for Edinburgh.
gone south
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu May 03, 2018 1:11 pm

gone south wrote:Ulster and Glasgow seem to have a preference for Friday's for home games.
The Italians, remaining IRFU teams and the Welsh seem to prefer Saturdays (although Newport and the Sprays play when they are told due to the ground sharing)
I don't think I've ever seen a preference logged for Edinburgh.

Edinburgh have previously stated a preference for Fridays.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:11 am

Pro 14 have appointed Sunset + Vine as the production company. Good news IMO, they know what they're doing given they do the premiership and european stuff (including magazine progs) for BT. They'll also have a good knowledge of who works on TV from all of the folk they've had on Rugby Tonight over the last few years.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Yes good start perhaps indicates Premier are giving it proper investment could easily have gone with local Irish production. I don't mind the Rugby Tonight format, good coverage, often some good features. Presenters are always going to be a matter of personal preference doubt you will ever get a group that everyone likes all of so will wait and see who they line up for the Pro14 coverage. Cant see me not subscribing at this stage...unless Eddie Butler is lead commentator then I am out

I notice Premier Sports has appeared on Virgin screens now, channel 551 has Premier Sports 1 HD and 553 Freesports, presumably Premier 2 will be 552 when it launches
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Yes good start perhaps indicates Premier are giving it proper investment could easily have gone with local Irish production. I don't mind the Rugby Tonight format, good coverage, often some good features. Presenters are always going to be a matter of personal preference doubt you will ever get a group that everyone likes all of so will wait and see who they line up for the Pro14 coverage. Cant see me not subscribing at this stage...unless Eddie Butler is lead commentator then I am out

I notice Premier Sports has appeared on Virgin screens now, channel 551 has Premier Sports 1 HD and 553 Freesports, presumably Premier 2 will be 552 when it launches

What I'm taking from their BT coverage is they have a wide variety of presenters, some you like (Bayfield) aome you hate (Healey) and most importantly they're all well informed on the game and talk about things you wouldn't necessarily be able to talk about with your mates down the pub. I hope they can replicate that formula.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:40 pm

FG, last time I looked Virgin said Premier 2 channel was tbc, but it does look likely that 552 will be the one. I have the current Premier and Freesport channels on the virgin tv go app thingy - which is good as I won't always get access to the big telly!

biffer, imo Healy can be okay sometimes, he is insightful but isn't very good at hiding bias. He also seems to be aware that he's a knob and can be self-deprecating at times.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for them to sign Cotter as a comentator, just please no Robson. I'd have Barnes every single game if it meant Robson didn't get any.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

FG, last time I looked Virgin said Premier 2 channel was tbc, but it does look likely that 552 will be the one. I have the current Premier and Freesport channels on the virgin tv go app thingy - which is good as I won't always get access to the big telly!

biffer, imo Healy can be okay sometimes, he is insightful but isn't very good at hiding bias. He also seems to be aware that he's a knob and can be self-deprecating at times.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for them to sign Cotter as a comentator, just please no Robson. I'd have Barnes every single game if it meant Robson didn't get any.

Cotter's done commentary work for BT before, so it's entirely possible.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

FG, last time I looked Virgin said Premier 2 channel was tbc, but it does look likely that 552 will be the one. I have the current Premier and Freesport channels on the virgin tv go app thingy - which is good as I won't always get access to the big telly!.

Premier 2 on 552 tonight
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:32 am

Italian deal is via digital/streaming site

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/08/02/d ... ntil-2021/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am

biffer wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Cotter's done commentary work for BT before, so it's entirely possible.

Cotter is freelance, it is just that he does a lot for the been, so as you say it is possible.

From the Scottish usual tv crowd I'd only really want Cotter, Lawson and Mossy involved.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:14 am

Alan Tait is in a different league to most when it comes to analysing what is going on. Maybe not the best talker but he knows his stuff.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum