TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

Postby Wottie on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:16 pm

Hil wrote:I used the PREMIER89 code yesterday evening and it worked fine - £89 for the year on Sky.

Good to hear, cheers Hil
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:51 pm

I have been dithering around trying to get my head round these Premier tv options. Premier is a bit minimalist verging on hopeless on tangible info and help. Net result is a deal with Virgin, who I was in the point of leaving, for broadband, phone, tv package and Prenier for £36, about £15 less than i pay at the moment for just broadband and phone. A result, the downside is that they only have Premier 1, not Premier 2, but they think all Pro 14 games will be shown on 1, you might just need to wait a day sometimes to see the ones you want.

Does that sound a good deal or would others more knowledgeable just go for a Premier deal? My brain is too frazzled to think it through one more door.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:40 pm

royc wrote:I have been dithering around trying to get my head round these Premier tv options. Premier is a bit minimalist verging on hopeless on tangible info and help. Net result is a deal with Virgin, who I was in the point of leaving, for broadband, phone, tv package and Prenier for £36, about £15 less than i pay at the moment for just broadband and phone. A result, the downside is that they only have Premier 1, not Premier 2, but they think all Pro 14 games will be shown on 1, you might just need to wait a day sometimes to see the ones you want.

Does that sound a good deal or would others more knowledgeable just go for a Premier deal? My brain is too frazzled to think it through one more door.

Premier 2 is channel 552 on Virgin, I am not sure it appears in the guide but if you enter channel number think it should come up, does for me anyway.

Games are on all 3 channels from 551-553 premier 1, premier 2 and free sports
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks TFG, that sounds promising, I'll chance it with Virgin and hope the 3 channel numbers work!
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:33 pm

They are free on virgin at present so would check first should be able to get Fridays match
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Fanscene on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Just watched the preview show on Free Sports.

Well, I might hold off subscribing for a couple of weeks!!

Two Irish host, with Luke Fitzgerald and Martin Williams as guests.

First 30 minutes predominantly Munster and Leinster followed by Connacht and Ulster.
About 12 minutes on the Welsh and Scottish teams, with Edinburgh and Glasgow done as job lot and taking 4 minutes to cover.

I had high hopes with Sunset and Vine being given the remit! But with the preview being very Irish based, I fear coverage may not be ideal in terms of each team getting equal coverage.

I may be worrying unfairly but first signs isn't great. :eek: :eek:
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:35 pm

Looking closely at the end where they usually display the broadcaster etc on screen, it was all Eirsports so I’m assuming it’s an eirsports programme that Premier sports piggy backed on, which is why the Irish had a large section dedicated to them. Wait and see what happens next week but if it’s the same then we’ll know it’s irish orientated for sure.
David990
International

Postby Wottie on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:32 am

I think that’s right David990. Let’s wait and see what the match day coverage is like. I subscribed last night no problem with the £89 for 12 month code PREMIER89. I also watched the preview program referred to on Freeview. I was less concerned about the program content but it was probably the 1st thing I have watched in standard definition in years. It’s shocking. It’s like watching TV without your contact lenses in. As I understand it it will just be Premier Sports 1 that broadcasts in HD for now so the scheduling of our games for HD coverage is my biggest concern as on really big screens the SD picture really isn’t good. May be better watching the SD coverage on a small screen or iPad? Hopefully PS2 will go HD quite quickly once they are up and running.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 am

Agree it is the match coverage that is important for me although a good weekly review show would be nice to have and should not be difficult to deliver.

Per the Premier Sports FAQs all channels are due to go HD this summer...although no definition of "summer" is included.

"Premier Sports is a High Definition subscription service available to 16 million UK homes and on the Sky and Virgin Media platforms and available to everyone on all devices via the Premier Player.

FreeSports is the Free-to-Air (FTA) sister channel of Premier Sports and is the UK’s only dedicated FTA Sports channel available in 22 million UK homes. FreeSports will turn High Definition in the summer."

http://www.premiersports.com/pro-14/pro-14/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:56 pm

ESPN to show every games in the US through to 2021

No $$$ mentioned so hard to judge what it means for the clubs but good to get the exposure.

EDIT: should add it is effective immediately so if you are looking for a stream for tonights match ESPN+ may be a good start point :wink:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:ESPN to show every games in the US through to 2021

No $$$ mentioned so hard to judge what it means for the clubs but good to get the exposure.

Mostly on their streaming service ESPN+, 10 games on TV in HD

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-rele ... agreement/

Like you say, good exposure and there be some money involved I presume, although not life changing amounts. But once you get a foot into the market, and with the Irish teams in particular tapping in to a US market, it might grow.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum