TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Is that £18m & £30m per season or for the 3 year deal? If it is per year then it is very good, considering there is more to come from other broadcast areas.

Hopefully will see us able to compete a bit more for players, or at least keep what we have got.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Yeah sounds like a decent deal on the face of it, TV income doubled in three years, I think i saw somewhere, is not too bad.

However surprised this was not more prominent in all the blurb

"...TMOs at every game..."

No mention of neutrality of officials though, but baby steps on the path to a professional Pro14
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:28 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Is that £18m & £30m per season or for the 3 year deal? If it is per year then it is very good, considering there is more to come from other broadcast areas.

Hopefully will see us able to compete a bit more for players, or at least keep what we have got.

Per season. So maybe £750k more per team - basically two Scotland internationals wages. Or one Finn Russell.

The numbers are for total TV income, not just this deal.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Excellent news-both the 100% coverage of Pro 14 matches and increased tv revenues.
My heart sank with the initial announcement thinking there would only be live coverage of 2/3 matches per weekend but this sounds terrific (well apart from losing the admirable Hugh Dan MacClellan from commentaries of course)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:11 pm

liveinhope wrote:Excellent news-both the 100% coverage of Pro 14 matches and increased tv revenues.
My heart sank with the initial announcement thinking there would only be live coverage of 2/3 matches per weekend but this sounds terrific (well apart from losing the admirable Hugh Dan MacClellan from commentaries of course)

Well, potentially not. The press release also says they'll be recruiting experienced commentators and characters for their coverage, I think Hugh Dan would be a great addition for them.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Thursday games ?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:39 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Thursday games ?

Don't think that's necessary. One kickoff time on Friday, three on Saturday, two on Sunday, over three channels, and that's not including Friday 5.30 pm our time for South African evening kickoffs, should be plenty.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:57 pm

biffer wrote:

Don't think that's necessary. One kickoff time on Friday, three on Saturday, two on Sunday, over three channels, and that's not including Friday 5.30 pm our time for South African evening kickoffs, should be plenty.

From the release:
"Premier Sports will show two live games on a Friday on Premier Sports 1 and Premier Sports 2 and four live games on Premier Sports 1 and Premier Sports 2 on a Saturday. There will be one free-to-air match per round on Premier Sports’ sister channel FreeSports."
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:

From the release:
"Premier Sports will show two live games on a Friday on Premier Sports 1 and Premier Sports 2 and four live games on Premier Sports 1 and Premier Sports 2 on a Saturday. There will be one free-to-air match per round on Premier Sports’ sister channel FreeSports."

I had completely missed that, cheers! (and indeed I still can't find it!)

Edit - ok, it's in the SRU story
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:02 pm

biffer wrote:I had completely missed that, cheers! (and indeed I still can't find it!)

I had assumed it was because you only look at the pictures! :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Yonthing on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:14 pm

biffer wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Excellent news-both the 100% coverage of Pro 14 matches and increased tv revenues.

Well, potentially not. The press release also says they'll be recruiting experienced commentators and characters for their coverage, I think Hugh Dan would be a great addition for them.

The release on the SRU site says there remain some negotiations ongoing for local language broadcast in the UK. I thought they’d already announced S4C was confirmed, so there might still be a small chance of BBC Alba in parallel to the main broadcast.
Yonthing
International

Postby disco on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:16 pm

biffer wrote:Some chatter that the overall TV income will be about £30 million per year, up from around £18 million this year. Nice bit of business tbh.

And it was only around £11.8m for the 2016/17 season apparently. Still not as much as the other 2 big European leagues but it's hopefully enough to keep the Celtic Nations and Italy in touch with the big boys.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:I had completely missed that, cheers! (and indeed I still can't find it!)

I had assumed it was because you only look at the pictures! :wink:

Careful you :evil:

It's not mentioned in the Pro14 release, that's where they got me. These DavePearson in D4 are always trying to get ye.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:37 pm

I think this is a pretty compelling package to be fair - pay annually up front and it's a little over £8 per month for two HD channels, all 152 matches live, more analysis, magazine show and highlights. It's a real bonus that every Embra game will be televised, including away from home, and hopefully with a better quality package around pre- and post- match coverage.

Would be great if Alex Payne of Sky got picked up by Premier - in my opinion he's a top presenter and would be a great loss. Rory Lawson is good, Quinnell's quite likeable, but please god no Stuart Barnes.

Pro 14 broadcast revenue going from £12m between 12 clubs to £30m between 14 in a short time frame is a good effort considering the significantly smaller audience compared to England & France.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 pm

New Gunner wrote:I think this is a pretty compelling package to be fair - pay annually up front and it's a little over £8 per month for two HD channels, all 152 matches live, more analysis, magazine show and highlights. It's a real bonus that every Embra game will be televised, including away from home, and hopefully with a better quality package around pre- and post- match coverage.

Would be great if Alex Payne of Sky got picked up by Premier - in my opinion he's a top presenter and would be a great loss. Rory Lawson is good, Quinnell's quite likeable, but please god no Stuart Barnes.

Pro 14 broadcast revenue going from £12m between 12 clubs to £30m between 14 in a short time frame is a good effort considering the significantly smaller audience compared to England & France.

Cheaper than a st
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum